Notices
Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo LS1 running hot

 
Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 AM
  #1  
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
silversrtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 727
Default Turbo LS1 running hot

Hey all. Just looking for some ideas or insight. My car is a 2000 Camaro with a stock internal LS1 and a Huron Speed single turbo kit. Stock radiator, derale pusher fans and stock thermostat. Its been turbo for about a year now with no issues but out of nowhere the other day I noticed the car was running just a hair above normal (probably 190*-195* cruising on a cool day) and at idle it would get up to 240* best part is the factory gauge was just hanging out at 210 where it always is lol. It usually stays 180* despite the ambient temp at cruising and will see 220 idling or in traffic after a while but the fans always bring it back down. Car has no AC or condenser. Any insight would be appreciated. Not sure where I should start diagnosing.
silversrtman is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM
  #2  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
KyleLanter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 519
Default

Are you positive the fans are coming on when they should?
KyleLanter is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:12 AM
  #3  
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
silversrtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 727
Default

They come on, define when they should lol.
silversrtman is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM
  #4  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,588
Default

Verify the t-stat is operating like it should and the fan is coming on when it should. Radiator full? Is a head gasket blown? This is basic diagnosis.
3 window is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 AM
  #5  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (26)
 
ddnspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 8,543
Default

Get the stock thermostat out of there and put a 160 in it. Make sure fans are coming on in the 180 range. Make sure front air dam is still installed. You should NEVER hit 240 with no AC/condenser installed. Is it tuned well?
ddnspider is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM
  #6  
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
silversrtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 727
Default

Originally Posted by 3 window View Post
Verify the t-stat is operating like it should and the fan is coming on when it should. Radiator full? Is a head gasket blown? This is basic diagnosis.
I haven't gotten a chance to check anything yet but thank you for giving me some places to start.

Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
Get the stock thermostat out of there and put a 160 in it. Make sure fans are coming on in the 180 range. Make sure front air dam is still installed. You should NEVER hit 240 with no AC/condenser installed. Is it tuned well?
I like having heat since I drive the car in the cold weather until it snows. I thought about putting a 180 in it and wish I had while it was apart and the system was dry, but I think a 160 would be too cold for me. It is tuned well, I never had a problem until the other day. Its been a year since it was tuned and I haven't changed anything.
silversrtman is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:35 AM
  #7  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (26)
 
ddnspider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: FL
Posts: 8,543
Default

Originally Posted by silversrtman View Post

I like having heat since I drive the car in the cold weather until it snows. I thought about putting a 180 in it and wish I had while it was apart and the system was dry, but I think a 160 would be too cold for me. It is tuned well, I never had a problem until the other day. Its been a year since it was tuned and I haven't changed anything.
Just because you put a 160 stat in it doesn't mean the car will run at 160. Most turbo cars we do run in the 180's-190's and have 160 stats. Shoot my LS6 has a 160 stat and runs around 170 and gets up to 190s with AC. Either way i would yank the stock stat and check the fan turn on/off.
ddnspider is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM
  #8  
TECH Enthusiast
Thread Starter
iTrader: (20)
 
silversrtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Carmel, NY
Posts: 727
Default

Originally Posted by ddnspider View Post
Just because you put a 160 stat in it doesn't mean the car will run at 160. Most turbo cars we do run in the 180's-190's and have 160 stats. Shoot my LS6 has a 160 stat and runs around 170 and gets up to 190s with AC. Either way i would yank the stock stat and check the fan turn on/off.
I know it wont run at 160 but my brother in law has a 160 in his TA and the heat barely works in his car so I just figured I would stay stock but maybe ill do a 180
silversrtman is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 AM
  #9  
TECH Addict
 
Game ova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,703
Default

240 isn't overheated. Pretty sure high speed fans come on around 235. Mine will run 230 sitting still for a long time in 90 degree heat with the air on, and around 200-205 moving. Motor is on the stand now, and is in good shape, you're fine.
Game ova is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 AM
  #10  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 823
Default

Second on the 160 stat and make sure your tune has the fans coming on at 160 or 180 or whatever.
I've heard of guys getting the fueling set but forgetting to lower the fan temp.
The BallSS is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: