Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSA Supercharger install on a C5 Corvette and what it takes to make it fit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 528 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Black
Thank you ******. Been living here since the 70s. Not sure how much longer I can hold on lol.

If you don't mind me asking where did you get your dyno numbers from? as in shop recommendations.

As mentioned in earlier posts I'm looking for a shop that knows what they're doing but more of a tune by the hour to advise and fix things. Not just a fly by night 500 dollar make big power numbers dyno tune.
I hear that, I've been looking hard at Boise and Montana lately because this state is slowly swirling the bowl heading down the drain lol.
Fortunately you've got several great options for dyno tuners that are well versed in LS engines.
Turbo Tech in Tacoma does excellent work and has a dyno.
Kenny Sampson is an excellent local tuner, believe he can be reached through Ross Performance Group and operates in Auburn also on a dyno.
There's another gent up north who's name escapes me that is pretty good, if it comes to me I'll list it.
I'm actually having Pat G. remote tune my current big turbo car, he does excellent work and goes until your happy.
I've been trying to tune it myself and just was not making any progress, just Pat's base tune had the car running better than it ever has.
To me its the best way as I street drive the car so it he tunes it based on actual use so you get a car that drives very nice as opposed to a dyno tune that may end up with little hiccups in the tune while street driving that don't appear on a dyno.
If you have HP Tuners he can use that or he uses EFI Live and you'll have to buy a handheld which isn't too expensive.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Black (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 244 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
I hear that, I've been looking hard at Boise and Montana lately because this state is slowly swirling the bowl heading down the drain lol.
Fortunately you've got several great options for dyno tuners that are well versed in LS engines.
Turbo Tech in Tacoma does excellent work and has a dyno.
Kenny Sampson is an excellent local tuner, believe he can be reached through Ross Performance Group and operates in Auburn also on a dyno.
There's another gent up north who's name escapes me that is pretty good, if it comes to me I'll list it.
I'm actually having Pat G. remote tune my current big turbo car, he does excellent work and goes until your happy.
I've been trying to tune it myself and just was not making any progress, just Pat's base tune had the car running better than it ever has.
To me its the best way as I street drive the car so it he tunes it based on actual use so you get a car that drives very nice as opposed to a dyno tune that may end up with little hiccups in the tune while street driving that don't appear on a dyno.
If you have HP Tuners he can use that or he uses EFI Live and you'll have to buy a handheld which isn't too expensive.
Thanks for the info. I've actually had a couple of my cars strapped to Turbo Techs dyno over the years but mostly just for fun dyno days. I don't know their tuner or tuners at all.

I think the guy up north you are thinking of is Ellis at speed secrets. I'm far to lazy to travel up there anymore lol.

I've thought about hiring Pat G but my inner cheapskate won't let me do it. His reputation is hard to beat.

I have HP tuners and that is what is currently being used to street tune the car.

Honestly with the invaluable help from Ron above we have the car driving fairly well and I know it's pretty safe the way it is now but yet still absolutely makes power. I think we have the car tuned to the point that it's time to dyno for safety verification and maybe fix a few little nit picks in the driveability that kind of have us a little stumped. Manual trans Corvettes can be a little persnickety lol. Also I'd be lying if I didn't say we want to get this on a dyno just to see numbers so the millions of people across the country will stop pestering me about it haha.

Last edited by Mr. Black; 04-29-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

"I am sorry to say that Speed Secrets Closed October 31 2018 due to health reasons. I want to say thank you to all my devoted customers for the 15 years of fun and pleasure"

from their google page.

Mr. Black (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theunderlord
"I am sorry to say that Speed Secrets Closed October 31 2018 due to health reasons. I want to say thank you to all my devoted customers for the 15 years of fun and pleasure"

from their google page.

Damn, that's unfortunate. While I don't know him personally, I hope he's doing ok.
theunderlord (04-29-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 07:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I am using the 5lb cap that comes with the coolant T. I'm no engineer but I just don't know if you could ever get the intercooler water hot enough to actually create substantial pressure like the engine cooling system. There is an air head space at the top of the coolant T during normal operation above the full line. This air doesn't go away even at the highest of IATs which in my case might be low 100s. In general for such a small intercooler water system I have it seems to work incredibly well. That being said the weather here is generally mild. 90s and 100s are less than two weeks out of the year.

I watched that old Cleetus LSA build back when it was going on live. I seem to recall that topped out around 715 wheel with a nearly identical setup to mine but I am pretty sure they were running E85. We don't have access to E85 in my state unless you buy it in a very expensive blue can.

Anyhooters I made some changes to my new 8 rib belt drive setup for the better IMO.

I got the Innovators west 3inch alternator pulley installed so that should live longer now. Had to lathe cut a little over a 1/16 inch off of it for better spacing. This required sanding off 4 casting bumps on the front case of alternator as well. Worth it.

I also finally found an 8 rib plastic tensioner that is sold through Vortech but it is in fact a dayco. Only problem with it is that it's off on spacing by one belt rib to the radiator side of things. To bring it back to the engine I had to mill off about 3/16s off the mounting ears of the factory idler bracket. That worked perfectly.

Drove it yesterday and spun the tires a few times and the belt didn't fly off. I call that a success lol.
We don't have the craziest of hot temperatures here but I just feel like Ford having a 16lb cap and GM having a 5lb on their intercooler systems has to be for some reason right? I mean these are smart people that design these things! We hope anyways. Oh well maybe I'm over thinking this thing. I got it in the mail and I can't believe how small it was! haha I'm actually quite pleased with the size it's going to work perfectly for my application. My original idea was to install the reservoir in my "frunk" but now with this little guy I can keep it at the back of the car and won't have to shoot holes into the car. I really appreciate the part number it was a huge help. I'm hoping to get this buttoned up this week and then maybe I'll start a thread on it considering there aren't too many of these builds on here.
I'm happy you got your 8 rib swap all squared away. I don't think you'll have ANY problems with it now. What kind of boost does it make on your setup? 13lbs or so?
Mr. Black (04-30-2022)
Old 04-30-2022, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It does a solid 10.8 PSI right now. The calculators as much as you can trust them for the LSA would say right around 13 with the new balancer. Still not near the overspeeding of the blower even at 6500rpms which I would likely never see on purpose.

Have not logged the new setup yet. Will do shortly. Need to make sure there's no knock retard going on per Rons earlier advice.
Old 05-01-2022, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I went out and got some logs this morning.

Making 10psi at 2200rpms and making 13.4 PSI at 4200rpms with IAT at 80 degrees. 58 degrees outside temp.

Fun times.
theunderlord (05-01-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Any more videos?!
Mr. Black (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
Any more videos?!
Your wish is my command. lol. Very happy with the new 8 rib setup. Should have done it from the beginning but at the time I just wanted to get the car up and running.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Well the clutch will not hold any real power third gear or above. I got a great sale deal from Tick on a Monster Twin Disc that was too good to pass up. 950 shipped.

That should cure any slippage problems from here on out.

Seeing that makes me so excited for when the clutch needs replaced in my C6....
Mr. Black (05-13-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 06:50 AM
TECH Regular

Your wish is my command. lol. Very happy with the new 8 rib setup. Should have done it from the beginning but at the time I just wanted to get the car up and running.
VERY nice. I love the vids. Someone asked and I didn't see if you answered but were you actually having belt slip issues with the 6 rib setup?
Old 05-14-2022, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SwapStang
VERY nice. I love the vids. Someone asked and I didn't see if you answered but were you actually having belt slip issues with the 6 rib setup?

Have you ever heard the belt squeak of a Cummins Turbo Diesel when you shut it off?

If you punched it in 3rd gear that's the noise it would make. Just a quick squawk and then the belt would regain traction and never appeared to slip after that.

That being said this was a pretty fresh belt that was on there. I'm guess over some time and more miles once that belt hardens up a little it may start to slip more and more easily.

I don't know if the new setup will ever slip.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whelp boys and girls she's dead. tagged on the toe dead. I haven't looked to see how big the hole is in the side of the block. Let's just say it was very violent.

I'll start a new thread soon lol.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a hole in the left side of the block, a hole in the oil pan, and a hole in the right side of the block.

Looks like 1 and 2 are gone.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh no! f*ck that sucks. what happened?
Old 05-17-2022, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow! That's NOT cool. SOOO much work into this amazing build. Makes me just a bit nervous with the stock bottom end.
DAMMIT!! Sorry for your loss.
What were you doing when this happened?
Old 05-17-2022, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It literally was not glamourous at all lol. A tiny part of my mind thinks that something may have been compromised prior. Hard to say though.

I was going up a double lane freeway onramp just having fun enjoying the ride. Went to pass a truck on the ramp about half throttle second gear slightly up hill maybe 35mph and it just simply let go NASCAR style. Violent like I've never experienced before.

The shitty part is I wasn't logging it at the time.

This thing is still tuned to not make big power. 8 degrees of timing and 11:1 AFR under boost.

Looking forward to the new build and going to square port heads. I want to get rid of the adapter plates under the blower.

It will make so many things better about this installation.

Now the shitty part is 500 dollar LS engines of any kind don't grow on trees anymore.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

damn man. not fun at all. But a new build sounds like just the thing to start having fun with!

whats the plan? Rec port heads makes a ton of sense with the blower. Lower CR for boost? Forged pistons/rods? Displacement?
Old 05-17-2022, 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

It literally was not glamourous at all lol. A tiny part of my mind thinks that something may have been compromised prior. Hard to say though.

I was going up a double lane freeway onramp just having fun enjoying the ride. Went to pass a truck on the ramp about half throttle second gear slightly up hill maybe 35mph and it just simply let go NASCAR style. Violent like I've never experienced before.

The shitty part is I wasn't logging it at the time.

This thing is still tuned to not make big power. 8 degrees of timing and 11:1 AFR under boost.

Looking forward to the new build and going to square port heads. I want to get rid of the adapter plates under the blower.

It will make so many things better about this installation.

Now the shitty part is 500 dollar LS engines of any kind don't grow on trees anymore.
WOW! Well at least the carnage was a good show lol. I am definitely with you on getting a set of rec port heads they are so nice and to get rid of those adapters would be nice. Are motors really not cheap near you anymore? That is really a shame I hate hearing that. A gen 3 6.0 is probably $500 or less here (northeast) but a 5.3 or 4.8 can be had for $300 or less. I'm looking forward to the motor build! Keep it up!
Build it, Break it, Build it better.....
Mr. Black (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

probably the tuner's fault

Quick Reply: LSA Supercharger install on a C5 Corvette and what it takes to make it fit.