Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 01:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?

I am running just a Metco breather right now... Just one in place of the stock oil fill cap for the entire engine.

I do not plan to run a Moroso crank evac this year, though I'd like to see someone put one where the a/c sits.

I'm thinking of rigging up a catch can/separator type setup...

What do you other FI peepz have?
Old 07-18-2004, 03:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running the stock PCV John..... with a little modifications done to it..... i want to know more about this also..... I think im going to run a breather in place of the oil fill cap also.... and run a catch can later down the road...... not much time running the current setup with the stock PCV.... will know more in the next couple of weeks...
Kyle
Old 07-18-2004, 07:27 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This issue came up while I was at W2W. Kurt said the best way to run these on our Prochargers is back to the inlet hat. I'm going to run hoses off of both PCV ports on the passenger side valve cover to a catch can and from there both hoses will continue to the inlet hat of the SC. I already installed a second barbed fitting into it. You also will have to block of the hole on the passenger side of the intake near the TB. Do not "t" the hoses together or your limiting you capacity to draw off the crankcase.

The reason is that the SC creates vacuum which draws the pressure off of the crankcase.

Nasty....BOV???? or should I go ahead and post it up for sale?

Mark
Old 07-18-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

run a good oil seperator with a pcv and check valve. Then run the fresh air side into the blower inlet near the impeller.
This is the best setup without a vacuum pump and delivers full time crankcase ventilation.
If your motor tends to push oil, then run a good sealed catch can before the blower inlet to avoid pulling oil into the blower.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:36 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, do a search this topic came up last week. The first topic was called Race car PCV setups by Chris ARE 346 + 14 + 25 or something like that, lol. The second one was posted by Fear the LS1. He had his mounted where the AC is. Obviously what I'm doing with mine won't work because it sits where your ProCharger does.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:12 PM
7 Second Club

Okay, just finished my mod'd PCV/Catch Can set-up. Well almost. Still have to run the hoses to the inlet hat.....waiting on the SDCE kit to re-install the SC. Anyway attached is a few pics. The hoses coming in on the sides are from the PCV ports on the passenger side valve covers. The "doomaflinger" on the bottom is a valve I can open and close to drain oil if needed. Notice also the hole on the Intake is closed off. Plastic intakes would just use a rubber cap. Kurt at Wheel 2 Wheel suggested this is the best way to route this for our set-ups. You guys with check valves (I used to have one) keep in mind when your under boost no postive pressure is going..YES but nothing is being extracted either! As for breathers in the oil fill neck, etc. that will work okay but won't have a "draw" like the above set-up will and it will put oil fumes in the cockpit. Just my .02
Attached Thumbnails What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?-modified-catch-can.jpg   What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?-pcv-hoses.jpg   What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?-catch-can-1.jpg   What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?-catch-can-2.jpg   What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?-inlet-hat.jpg  

Old 07-18-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a good idea Mark. I think im going to order a catch can.... were did you get that one?? Go ahead and post up the BOV for sale. Thanks for the 1st offer.
Kyle
Old 07-18-2004, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Nice setup, does it incorporate an oil separator? Steve, I definitely want to migrate away from the single breather. I have messed with some setups off/on for a few years and this is the second time I am running a Metco. But I would like to run to a one way can and then run the air back into the inlet... I would not characterize my setup as an oil user but I would run a separator as a matter of precaution since I would not want any oil whatsoever entering the intake tract.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:19 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Thats a good idea Mark. I think im going to order a catch can.... were did you get that one?? Go ahead and post up the BOV for sale. Thanks for the 1st offer.
Kyle

It's a cheap Jegs Aluminum catch can that I cut in half and welded back to make it smaller. Then I mod'd all the fittings on and moved the valve to what is now the bottom of the can.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:21 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Nice setup, does it incorporate an oil separator? Steve, I definitely want to migrate away from the single breather. I have messed with some setups off/on for a few years and this is the second time I am running a Metco. But I would like to run to a one way can and then run the air back into the inlet... I would not characterize my setup as an oil user but I would run a separator as a matter of precaution since I would not want any oil whatsoever entering the intake tract.
No specific oil seperator.....where the fittings are located it will allow any oil that may come thru to settle into the bottom where I could drain it off as necessary (hopefully none).
Old 07-18-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

I do it Steves way and the car had been blown for 35,000 miles and no issues.

A recent compression check shows all cylinders at 160

When the turbo goes on I will continue to run the PCV the same way.

I built my catchcan out of pvc from the hardware store for about $9 for you fellow cheapo's out there
Old 07-23-2004, 11:04 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Right now I have a line looped from my driver's side valve cover to the passenger side valve cover, and then just the one breather. I have not had the time to order any parts or look at some online sites. But I'm thinking that having the line looped like that and having the breather up front (as a positive) will keep me from say runnign two rear lines that might suck up a lot of oil on launch. The oil is going to run back when the car launches and I might start to pull out a lot of oil. If I were to use the front outlet barb on the passenger side cover ONLY it would not have that problem but it also might be inadequate for the volume of air that needs to be vented... I could also rig up an elbow in place of the oil fiill cap but it might be overkill and ghetto. What do you guys think? I don't like the chimney.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird
I do it Steves way and the car had been blown for 35,000 miles and no issues.

A recent compression check shows all cylinders at 160

When the turbo goes on I will continue to run the PCV the same way.

I built my catchcan out of pvc from the hardware store for about $9 for you fellow cheapo's out there
Heath can you take a pic of how you did that for us fellow cheapo's????
Thanks
Kyle
Old 07-23-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

john, you can pry out 'the chimney' and mount the filter right on the valvecover.. the locking mechanism is the same. i removed mine from each valvecover (drivers side also can be pryed out) and run the same thing on each bank; a metco breather.

after that i have an ls6 valley cover, hose connecting that and just behind the air filter to the turbo to have a nice breeze through the engine at wide open. no additional oil separators after the one inside the valley cover.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I have run the Metco breather right on the valve cover, when I was NA, and occasionally I'd get drops of oil onto my headers...

I'm looking at Jegs and see some Moroso and Jaz cans, some are -10 and some are -12, any folks use one of those and did you use braided line?

Quick Reply: What crankcase evac/breather setups are you running?