Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intercooler questions .

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler questions .

Sup guys , I would like to know some info on intercoolers . This is my intercooler :
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52676319ZyZSZf
What i would like to know is this , probably this intercooler would flow like 1200 cfm and my F1 blower is capable of flowing 1500 cfm ( so 1000 hp ) . So does this mean that i could only make like 800 hp because the intercooler can't flow more cfm or does making more boost means that it can flow more cfm . I Ask because i see some twin turbo intercooler on cars that made 1000+hp and doesn't look bigger or much bigger then mine . From looking to my intercooler it looks like it cools less then others intercooler ( like the griffing ones ) cause it doesn't have too much core but flows more because of that . I am getting my alky control (progresive alcohol injection kit ) next week so i'm deciding that if the intercooler is small for my setup i would be using only the alcohol injection and get all the cfm out of the blower . I'm not good explaining this cause i'm not an english speaker . So any info on intercooler vs hp vs boost , or what diferent type of intercooler should affect cooling or hp should be realy aprecieted .
Thanx
Geomar
Old 08-13-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

that intercooler should support what ever you want it to, with around a 900rwhp limit, isnt that the ATI 3 core unit?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeLover1999
Sup guys , I would like to know some info on intercoolers . This is my intercooler :
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...52676319ZyZSZf
What i would like to know is this , probably this intercooler would flow like 1200 cfm and my F1 blower is capable of flowing 1500 cfm ( so 1000 hp ) . So does this mean that i could only make like 800 hp because the intercooler can't flow more cfm or does making more boost means that it can flow more cfm . I Ask because i see some twin turbo intercooler on cars that made 1000+hp and doesn't look bigger or much bigger then mine . From looking to my intercooler it looks like it cools less then others intercooler ( like the griffing ones ) cause it doesn't have too much core but flows more because of that . I am getting my alky control (progresive alcohol injection kit ) next week so i'm deciding that if the intercooler is small for my setup i would be using only the alcohol injection and get all the cfm out of the blower . I'm not good explaining this cause i'm not an english speaker . So any info on intercooler vs hp vs boost , or what diferent type of intercooler should affect cooling or hp should be realy aprecieted .
Thanx
Geomar
Intercooler rating is usually done for a 2 psi pressure drop across the core.

Ie. Your intercooler will flow 1200 CFM with a 2 psi pressure drop.

If you push more flow through your intercooler you will have more than a 2 psi pressure drop. It isn't the most efficient way to operate, but I don't think it is going to hurt your setup that much. FWIW, you very rarely get the full 1500 CFM out of the blower anyways.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

That intercooler is Machperformance custome ones . They have almost the same dimensoins as the procharger 3 core (race )one one that flow 1500 cfm (950 hp ) but the dimensions on the procharger one is 27x15x3 and mine is 27x13x3 (both have 3 inch inlet/outlet. The core size is the same the only diference is that the tanks are a little smaller . How much should that affect flow ? See the procharger intercoolers here : http://www.procharger.com/intercoolers.shtml
thanx

Last edited by XtremeLover1999; 08-13-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Its hard to say. End tanks can make or break an intercooler. The pictures of yours look fairly normal though.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess is beyound that the air will heat up quite a bit so you will have to use more octane, or knock timing down even further.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

ok , so the when they say an intercooler flow 1000 cfm doesn't mean you can't make more hp out of that intercooler rigth . Its just not efficient beyond that right ? I tought that when using an 1000 cfm intercooler it doesn't matter how hard you press it , it just would flow 1000 cfm . I think this is a good topic cause i searched around and didn't see much info on this and how intercooler size and design affect hp .
Now that we talked about this , why does people chang there ati twin intercooler when you can push more and more . You know what i mean ? Or is there a point that it can't flow anymore .
Thanx

Geomar
Old 08-13-2004, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I guess it depends on how much power you are trying to make. If you want to make 700-800rwhp you might benefit from an intercooler rated for more cfm like mine. I know a few folks who have upgraded from the ATI sheetmetal intercoolers to other solutions but they were pushing 700-1000 hp.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

My goal is around 750 rwhp on pump gas using the alky control kit . More is good too . What do you think ?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:16 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

750rwhp with what trans? lockup converter? stick?

You ever hit that 1/4 track on your island?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

we are still looking where i can get an good trans ( th400 or powerglide ) in miami or florida cause shipping would be alot less . I was thinking into rossler but its too far . Or probably when i go to live to housten texas in 2 weeks i will look around there . I will only be there for 1 year .
I went alot of times to the track and i was the fastest daily driver truck in aruba which was low 12s . That was on an build 4.3L v6, with an modified 350 (cutted and shortened to fit my v6 vortec heads ) and only running 150 shot nitrous . With 225 shot I couldn't make a good pass because of fuel puddling and huge backfires thrue the intake . With 225 shot it should had run atleast mid 11s cause even with 150 shot the 4L60-e ( build one ) didn't like the 2-3 shift . And that is with me using yank manual push botton and full line presure . I had to let them rebuild my trans twice with good parts and transgo shift kit with no luck .
If i am able to run low low 10s i would be the fastest street legal car in Aruba .
Geomar
Old 08-13-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Intercoolers that are rated to say 1000 CFM will flow a lot more than 1000 CFM, but they will be declining in efficiency when you start moving that much air through them. IE: We run a Precision "600 Horsepower" intercooler in a friends Integra, even though he's making over 600 WHP which is a ways beyond the peak efficiency rating of around 600 horsepower.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XtremeLover1999
we are still looking where i can get an good trans ( th400 or powerglide ) in miami or florida cause shipping would be alot less . I was thinking into rossler but its too far . Or probably when i go to live to housten texas in 2 weeks i will look around there . I will only be there for 1 year .
I went alot of times to the track and i was the fastest daily driver truck in aruba which was low 12s . That was on an build 4.3L v6, with an modified 350 (cutted and shortened to fit my v6 vortec heads ) and only running 150 shot nitrous . With 225 shot I couldn't make a good pass because of fuel puddling and huge backfires thrue the intake . With 225 shot it should had run atleast mid 11s cause even with 150 shot the 4L60-e ( build one ) didn't like the 2-3 shift . And that is with me using yank manual push botton and full line presure . I had to let them rebuild my trans twice with good parts and transgo shift kit with no luck .
If i am able to run low low 10s i would be the fastest street legal car in Aruba .
Geomar
Trans am creations in Hialeah, Florida should be able to help you out with the Trans. they are basically 10minutes from MIA. The intercooler you have should be able to get you where you want but at the cost of timing and real good fuel which might be a problem in your neck of the woods if for any reason you feel you do need a different intercooler i am sure we here at griffin can help you out.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

One guy I know was running the ATI sheetmetal FMIC and he blew the end tank welds a part from backpressure.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanx , I just hope it holds . I think i would need huge boost to get the numbers i want with this motor/heads/intake to have a problem with the tanks .
Geomar

Quick Reply: Intercooler questions .