Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-MECHAM-WS6
mines cheaper and i know it works

And you have what?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unusual T/A
not everyone has $400-650 for a new wastegate sitting around.
True, but when you've put near $10K in mods on a car in less than 2 months, what's another $350?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
True, but when you've put near $10K in mods on a car in less than 2 months, what's another $350?
Another $350 is enough to make someone go insane. Apparantly $350 is pocket change for you! After spending 10k on mods for a car most will be in debt for years and years. I know I am.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another $350 is enough to make someone go insane. Apparantly $350 is pocket change for you! After spending 10k on mods for a car most will be in debt for years and years. I know I am.
I wasn't being an ***. Just saying that if you've dumped over $10K into a used F/I setup (including new clutch, injectors, tuning, rims/tires blah blah) then you should expect to spend a few extra grand just in case **** happens. His stock bottom end will eventually need beefed up at the tune of at least $2700.00 in the future. So, whether anyone likes it or not, more $ will need to be spent. Plus, he's already planned for a 12-Bolt at a tune of $2XXX so I think $350 is beans compared to what he still has planned to do.

If you have to put yourself into long term debt to modify a car you shouldn't modify it unless you're prepared to spend about 20% more than you initially planned, IMO.

Trust me, I speak from experience with regards to having to spend more $ on something you didn't think you'd have to do. It's part of the hobby. If one can't handle that then one shouldn't modify their car.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And the odds that all parts that were said to be in GOOD working order take a **** is slim to none. Yes additional money is always needed for any setup. But, what if the wastegate isn't the problem. What if there is more to it? IMO the kit should not be having problems like this for the amount he paid regardless of used or not.

I wasn't being an ***. Just saying that if you've dumped over $10K into a used F/I setup (including new clutch, injectors, tuning, rims/tires blah blah) then you should expect to spend a few extra grand just in case **** happens.

If you have to put yourself into long term debt to modify a car you shouldn't modify it unless you're prepared to spend about 20% more than you initially planned, IMO.

Trust me, I speak from experience with regards to having to spend more $ on something you didn't think you'd have to do. It's part of the hobby. If one can't handle that then one shouldn't modify their car.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

And the odds that all parts that were said to be in GOOD working order take a **** is slim to none. Yes additional money is always needed for any setup. But, what if the wastegate isn't the problem. What if there is more to it? IMO the kit should not be having problems like this for the amount he paid regardless of used or not.
The kit worked perfectly when it was tuned, held boost across the board on the dyno and the street. It made hellatious power. The kit DOES work and did work.

Based on all the turbo info I have read, if you're overboosting with no boost controllers, no vacuum issues, etc then it's really the only thing left that could prevent the turbo from bleeding off boost pressure as that's a WG's function.

Plus, the WG had 8K miles on it, so it's pretty heavily used for a race type turbo part.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The kit worked perfectly when it was tuned, held boost across the board on the dyno and the street. It made hellatious power. The kit DOES work and did work.

Based on all the turbo info I have read, if you're overboosting with no boost controllers, no vacuum issues, etc then it's really the only thing left that could prevent the turbo from bleeding off boost pressure as that's a WG's function.

Plus, the WG had 8K miles on it, so it's pretty heavily used for a race type turbo part.
Ah ok so the wastegate had a good amount of miles. But still should not be going bad. I'm think it was a faulty wastegate if going bad after 8k miles. I'd have hks mail me a new one.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,238 Likes on 789 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That WG might be a couple years old, good luck returning it. Just go get another WG or borrow one and swap it on.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

And you have what?

Turbonetics Racegate 3, 5, 7, 9 psi springs. exactly 439 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Is Off......