Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI Owners: is this right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ATI Owners: is this right?

This is a picture of the ati supplied crank pulley sitting inside a stock crank pulley. Is there supposed be be a gap like this between the back of the ATI pulley and the face of the stock one?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember if there was supposed to be a gap or not, but it's less important how close your ATI crank mounts to the stock GM crank, as it is how it lines up with the S/C pully. First off, did you clean the $hit out of the inside rim of your stock GM crank pully? The ATI crank pully sits against that so it's a very good idea to thoroughly clean that and when you think it's perfectly clean, clean just a little more to be sure. that way the ATI crank pully will sit flush and spin without wobbling. next you need to figure out how it lines up with your S/C pully. Scott from SDCE suggested getting a cheap metal ruler(or flat edge). Cut it down to about 5-6"s and then cut the two ends at 45* angles. It needs to be in a trapazoid shape(sort of like a speed bump with straight sides, if that's any clearer). then use the point of the ruler to line up the ribs. Use washers of different thicknesses to pull the S/C and S/C pully in and out to get proper lineup.

You'll be set then. Good luck bro.

Mike
Old 09-15-2004, 12:49 PM
8 Second Club

from whet i recall , the gap is normal, just make sure the pulley doesn't wobble.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

The thing that concerns me at the moment is that I can rock the ati pulley back and forth inside the stock crank pulley. The stock pulley is completely cleaned out...
Old 09-15-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xssive
The thing that concerns me at the moment is that I can rock the ati pulley back and forth inside the stock crank pulley. The stock pulley is completely cleaned out...
What bolt are you using to torque down the ATI crank pully? Even with the ATI stock bolt being too long I was never able to move the pully by hand.

Mike
Old 09-15-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

I meant that I can rock it back and forth inside the stock crank pulley with it sitting off the car. I can put the stock crank pulley on the table, drop the ati pulley inside it, and be able to rock it side to side like it is not sitting flush.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:23 PM
8 Second Club

is the area where the original crank bolt's head sits flat? cause that is the only are the ati pulley rests on.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah that area is perfectly flat. I think the problem is that this pulley has obvious signs of spinning inside the crank pulley (I bought it used from Buschman). I think the actually area that protrudes down to sit on the stock crank has been shortened from the spinning. So, the side walls of that ati pulley that slope up are now in contact with the stock crank pulley.

Quick Reply: ATI Owners: is this right?