Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech Mondo Bypass valve is on

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face Vortech Mondo Bypass valve is on

Man this thing sounds awesome. Now I can see why SJH and Blackbird made silencers for theirs, but no silencer for me..

I love how this thing sounds, it really pushes the air out. The install was a little more involved and after two flanges.....I screwed up the placement on the first go around. On the second flange and mounting, it went up real nice. It resides right in the drivers fog light box.

Here is a pic of the Mondo Bypass and the HKS it replaced.

I will snap some pics of the finished product tomorrow, as it was freezing out when we finished up the install and wanted to take it out on the road to make sure things were up to snuff, track is open tomorrow morning and I'm heading out.

I did notice that my FMIC didn't really get warm with this thing on after a few WOT blasts...I guess its because its venting all the time except when the car gets into the boost, the HKS was closed at idle, and opened and closed rapidly under cruising conditions. It only really opened after the throttle snapped shut after getting into boost.
So thats a good bonus.

But I can understand why Bos and Purevyl say these type of bypass valves sound like street sweepers. With all the air being force out, the car sounds turbine powered now.

Funny thing is vortech now has a mega mondo bypass that looks identical to the ATI race ready...i've found pics on capa.com but none on any local sites, even vortechs site, that one would have been easier to mount

The mega mondo is rated at 700+cfm at 10psi, this one I have is rated at 600cfm@10psi.

I hope to have some video of this thing in action tomorrow after I get home from the races....
J

PS thanks Frank your extra set of hands really helped out when welding things together.

Last edited by frcefed98; 10-30-2004 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice.....so with that venting as it does you dont have to worry about sucking up any stray Cats now!
Old 10-30-2004, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Definitely better racing weather.

I checked the DA for today just a little while ago and @ 10 the DA was 5300ft . With the cooler temps your IAT's should be pretty low. 42 deg at around 10 or so outside.

Don't believe you on the wooshing sound, gonna need some sound clips to verify
Old 10-30-2004, 11:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Get me some sound clips bro!

Ohh and just to make you guys jelous. The DA last night at 9:45pm here in Sacramento was like -600ft. LOL Unfortuantely i stopped racing at 7pm when it was still +65ft.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Charlie, i'll be blowing them off the side of the road with small children as I pass. This thing vents out very nicely......I'm going to be installing a wet kit on the ol bird this week...nice lil 50-75hp shot Best of both worlds...you know what i'm talking about.

Frank, sup Bro.......5300ft I can believe it, me and crazy frank(the other one) were freezing out there, measuring welding, grinding, welding, checking clearances, and welding some more....with a lil more cutting

Verification coming up ETA 14hrs 10mins
Old 10-30-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F8L Z71

Ohh and just to make you guys jelous. The DA last night at 9:45pm here in Sacramento was like -600ft. LOL Unfortuantely i stopped racing at 7pm when it was still +65ft.

Sup bro!, I'll get some vid clips incar, and outside the car tomorrow at the track, no fear of compressor surge anymore....

Damn you and your -600ft, even 65ft above sea level Glad you were able to make the best of it. That lil 5.3 is really putting down the power.
J
Old 10-30-2004, 11:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Damn you and your -600ft, even 65ft above sea level Glad you were able to make the best of it. That lil 5.3 is really putting down the power.
J

LOL thanks man!

I need to look into a blow off for my truck. I don't have one right now and I hate lifting fast at the end of a run at high boost because I cringe everytime I hear the turbo flutter. Plus I have had a couple issues with surge when I nail it trying to race someone but they don't go so i lift THEN they go and when I try to nail it again it takes too long to respool. The blow off will help that right?
Old 10-30-2004, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by F8L Z71

HERESY!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!!

sorry, had to vent
Old 10-30-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

F8L Z71, yep the blow off valve will help get rid of the compressor surge you are hearing. Its very harsh on a turbo from what I understand. A quicker spool after letting off is also a great benefit of a BOV. The vortech literature states their Mondo Bypass works equally well in turbocharged and supercharged vehicles.
J
Old 10-31-2004, 12:02 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Cool thanks for the info

Damn, gotta spend more money now. LOL
Old 10-31-2004, 01:18 AM
TECH Regular

would you recommend the vortech to someone only running 6psi but plans on running more boost?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

J, my man its great to hear about the car I cant wait to see and hear this beast. And damn that BOV is awesome Good Luck!!!

Brandon
Old 10-31-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeffrey G
would you recommend the vortech to someone only running 6psi but plans on running more boost?
Jeffrey, Really have to go by the ratings of these bypass valves and what kind of boost/hp your making. Vortech makes a smaller one called the race bypass that should be plenty for your car right now and future plans. But when you really start turning up the wick go to something bigger like what I have. I "might" have gone a lil big on this one but I can forsee my car making more power in the future

Brandon, Thanks buddy I've been working on it here and there but i'm slowly gathering up parts to complete my wet N2O kit. I also have a set of 28x10.5x15 ET drags coming so that should help my traction issues and push me into the 10's.

Hope to have some good video today.
J
Old 10-31-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you crack me up J.

lets see how long you can keep it unsilenced

i will admit though unsilenced when you come out of boost, that pshhhhhhhhhh is pretty sweet. it's a very strong clean sounding blow off huh.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome work man. So did you finally get that whole shipping fiasco sorted out yet? I cant wait until that car start really moving to the 10's at that altitude!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

I run a Vortech Mondo Bypass.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blackbird
you crack me up J.

lets see how long you can keep it unsilenced

i will admit though unsilenced when you come out of boost, that pshhhhhhhhhh is pretty sweet. it's a very strong clean sounding blow off huh.
Its in the drivers fog light box, so its pretty tame. I don't think I can get tired of hear it release the air, I keep going into boost and letting off just to hear it...I am such a ricer If it was anywhere up top, a silencer would have been already made

The people driving next to me tho, I feel sorry for them

Well the track outing never materialized due to miscommunication But I did some taping of my trip home from work today. You can hear it pretty good with my window down.
http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/mondo.mov
4.1megs for clarity, adjust the EQ to bring up the treble and bass and turn the volume up some....camera was on the passenger side.

PSJ, I remember your Mondo now, I saw it in your FMIC pics. How does it sound at the end of a pass? I can't wait to hear it in the shut down area...@10psi it sounds insane.

Fandango, UPS screwed me and jruss, so we have to take care of it...he's doing his best to get me my money back which is awesome on his part. I have some more ET drags on the way though, hope to have em by this weekend.
J
Old 11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Kinda funny when the ricers at the track think you have a turbo

sounds badass, when am I going to get another ride?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You working sunday??? I can't seem to find anyone to head out to the track with me?? You can ride with me down there and back

Yep all the ricers at the track think I have a turbo Last time I was out 2 dudes came up to the car, checked the engine out and said "pretty fast for a V6 WTF???!!!!! V6???, I just shut the hood and we drove the car to the other end of the lot GDang V6? Whatta bunch of losers.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jer were did ya buy it and how much was it?? Pm me bro
Kyle

Quick Reply: Vortech Mondo Bypass valve is on