Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

teflon coating pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default teflon coating pistons?

My buddy who owns a supra is rebuilding is engine, and he was asking me where he can get his pistons teflon coated... i had no clue, and I didnt even know what the hell that would do... he told me teflon coating further prevents knock and detonation...

anyone have their pistons teflon coated here? should I get my pistons teflon coated before I put it together? I also assume this would make my pistons like 4.034 or so which would make it fit harder? (well im gunna have my machine blocked according to piston fit but still)
Old 10-31-2004, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe teflon coating just reduces heat by creating less friction on the sides and skirts of the pistons. I dont see a lot of people doing it. It hasn't really been proved whether or not it is worthwhile or not. I guess if you are paranoid about the engine, it might provide you with piece of mind, but other than that, I think you are wasting your money.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not worth it...has not been proven to really be worth it. With a good forged piston, you are basically taking care of that anyway. Ceramic coating is bullshit IMO
Old 10-31-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seal
My buddy who owns a supra is rebuilding is engine, and he was asking me where he can get his pistons teflon coated... i had no clue, and I didnt even know what the hell that would do... he told me teflon coating further prevents knock and detonation...

anyone have their pistons teflon coated here? should I get my pistons teflon coated before I put it together? I also assume this would make my pistons like 4.034 or so which would make it fit harder? (well im gunna have my machine blocked according to piston fit but still)
Well instead of getting responses from those who a. don't understand it, and b. have never done it, the purpose of coating the sides is not to reduce heat, but add a second layer of friction reducer to the skirt. If in some small instanace the oil got low the teflon would offer extra protection. The Ceramic coating on the top of the piston keeps the heat from transferring to the bottom side of the piston and into the wrist pin area.

I have had both done. Diamond Pistons did mine.
You can go to www.perigee.net/~lunapark, and look at the C5-R pictures to see the piston coated on the sides and top
Old 10-31-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry I thought he was referring to ceramic coating, I read the title too fast...

I have spoken with reputable engine builders and they have all told me ceramic coating has really not been proven to help. As for the teflon, I am not sure about that...
Old 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have teflon coated pistons. I just took the block apart to refresh some things and the coating is gone, just like it was never there. Less than 5000 miles.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
I have teflon coated pistons. I just took the block apart to refresh some things and the coating is gone, just like it was never there. Less than 5000 miles.
Yes, good point to talk about the real world usefulness of this type of coating for street motor insurance. Wouldn't want anyone to get confussed about what the usefull life is for this type of coating from someone's "expert" opinions.

Rick
Old 10-31-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can slow down an engine build with the hassle of getting them coated.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

I have heard that the coating actually permiates (sp?) the metal and that even though it looks wore off, it's still doing it's job. Whatever that is. My dad is into drag boats and he does this with all of his rebuilds. This is the explaination he gave me when he was telling me about it a few years ago. Not sure if its true though, or if he's just crazy. Probably the latter. BTW, I can't remember exactly which coating he was talking about. I'd assume it was the teflon, but can't remember for sure.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://hotrod.com/techarticles/51120/
Old 11-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Restricted User

interesting read on the hotrod article. Thanks Lost...

Charlie
Old 11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

interesting read on that hotrod article... looks like i'll be teflon coating mine.... just extra degree of safety i guess
(depending on the price, if it costs like 500 bux to coat 8 pistons then no lol)

found my own answer also

and the coatings normally go on with a thickness of .002 to .004 inch, so very little compensation needs to be done during the machining process

Last edited by seal; 11-01-2004 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

My Diamond Pistons are coated.........

Kyle
Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Polydyne coatings does both friction reducing coating and ceramic coatings. Mahle pisons come with an antifriction coating. They have been proven to help reduce wear on the cylinder walls! You will have to look there contact info up though they are located here in the Houston area I think off of 290.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:44 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Yea, the pistons in my 622 are Bill Mitchell's coated.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Kyle, what kind of coating is that? anti friction? and how much did it run ya? worth it ya think?
Old 11-01-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle, what kind of coating is that? anti friction? and how much did it run ya? worth it ya think?
Im not 100% sure what type of coating it is, but give AP Engineering a call. They did it for me when they built mu shortblock. If i remember right it was and extra $100.
Kyle
Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

it's ceramic, I think Kyle is pretty close on the price, $100-$150. I also had APE do that to my motor.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Well instead of getting responses from those who a. don't understand it, and b. have never done it, the purpose of coating the sides is not to reduce heat, but add a second layer of friction reducer to the skirt. If in some small instanace the oil got low the teflon would offer extra protection. The Ceramic coating on the top of the piston keeps the heat from transferring to the bottom side of the piston and into the wrist pin area.

I have had both done. Diamond Pistons did mine.
You can go to www.perigee.net/~lunapark, and look at the C5-R pictures to see the piston coated on the sides and top
how much did it cost to have the 2 done?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

try this link about different coatings & applications:

http://www.calicocoatings.com/index.phtml?coatings

Quick Reply: teflon coating pistons?