Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Crank Pinning

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Default Crank Pinning

Sorry if this is a repeat. Ive searched a bit, and found a lot of info...but not specifically this...

The crank pulley on the LS1, is rather difficult to fit, and remove as its a press fit. I'll soon be fitting my new pulley, in readyness for a supercharger setup using 50mm cogged pulleys.
There is a crank pinning kit with this, which consists of 2 pins which need the crank drilled to suit. Not sure what make it is, but its just 2 x 1/4"dia pins

With this in mind, would you forsee any problems, machining the crank pulley, so that it is a nice slip put, rather than a press fit onto and off the crankshaft ??

Next up is the crank bolt. I do have a new one, and I see many people say it must be used...Surely if you use thread lock/loctite on it, the old one would be fine ?? Just wondering what others think.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You press the pulley on, then drill it with a fixture,install pins and put on new crank bolt.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:41 AM
9 Second Club

I understand that, but Im talking about with a view to removal afterwards.

The engine is not yet fitted to my car, and I intend to fit it normally aspirated first, get it running, then remove and fit forged LC pistons etc, and rebuild with new heads and cam.
Having a pulley that is easily removed and fitted would be nice, without having to resort to pullers all the time.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

My crank is keyed.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't suggest that, GM made it a press fit with a torque to yeild bolt for a reason. I understand wanting to simplify the dissassembly process, but it's not worth taking a chance on having your balancer introduce itself to your radiator

Do your self a favor, spend 6 bucks on a new bolt, install & pin your balancer using the proper procedure, and forget about it. When you're pulling the balancer later, you can take comfort in the fact that if you have to go through a hassle to get it off, then it sure isn't going to fly off under boost!

Ed
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is keyed........ not like i need it now though.........
Kyle
Old 12-14-2004, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

OK, to put the question another way.
Does every other SBC or indeed Ford V8's have a press fit crank pulley, or are they simply keyed or pinned ?
If they are a normal slip fit with key or pin, do they have problems when used in a high powered SC application ?

Is a proper keyway reckoned to secure better than the 2 x 1/4" pins in the kit I have ??
The pulley I have has a keyway in it, although obviously I would require a key, and to have the crank machined to make use of it. Pinning is a much easier option
Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Any non-keyed, non-pinned crank pulley can come loose due to using a belt driven supercharger if you push it hard. With a cogged YSi you will be pushing it hard.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:29 PM
9 Second Club

As I say, it will be pinned. Once pinned, its the need for still being a press fit Im querying.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the answer is yes.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I think the answer is yes as well, every engine I have ever worked on had a press fit whether it was keyed or not. Why do you think you need to use a puller to remove any balancer?

Ed
Old 12-15-2004, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

My previous Rover V8, Subaru, Mini, Various 4 cyl Fords, and some Toyotas I have worked on, and the majority of cars found in the UK do not have pressed on pulleys. Some may be a little stiff to remove,, but do not require pullers, or to be pressed on, and all are secured from rotation by a keyway.
The LS1 is the first engine I have ever actually needed to use a puller to remove the crank pulley, and likewise, to press the pulley back on..

That is why I ask these questions.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Any non-keyed, non-pinned crank pulley can come loose due to using a belt driven supercharger if you push it hard. With a cogged YSi you will be pushing it hard.
Once I upped to 549 RWHP and 757 RWTQ, I could not keep my crank bolt in.

I recommend pinning the crank in applications over 500 RWHP and would consider it a MUST if your torque exceeds the same. Just my experience.

Once I got the fuel to keep up with that 13 PSI of boost this year, I've broken a performance tranny three times. I may put it in once more to give me time to come up with my alternate plan, but I've got a race-ready PG sitting at my buddy's house already paid for.

I may do gear vendors and use it (back to a 4-speed) or move to 400 and Gear Vendors... or do a 4L80E. I don't know, yet.

Quick Reply: Crank Pinning