Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Gauging cost on QMP kit- Will I even like it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gauging cost on QMP kit- Will I even like it?

A friend of mine has a QMP turbo kit with a p-trim 67 turbo. I think he made 620/710 on 11 or 12 pounds with alcohol. Anyway, he is looking to get a Vette and twins. He wants to sell me his entire kit and I have no idea how much to offer. This is what I am getting:

-QMP Turbo kit with 67mm turbo
-LS1 Intake plumbed for Alcohol injection
-Alcohol injection in Ford windshield wiper fluid reservoir container
-42# fuel injectors (I think there 42#)
-SPEC Stage 4 clutch
-Autometer Cobalt Fuel, Boost and ? gauges with tripple-pod pillar
-Installed and Tuned by him (he worked for Rob Raymor)

Another thing, I am not so sure I will like it (yea I said it.) I just put a cam and headers on my car and love it. I hate the fuel smell and the lope though. I'm not really into going fast and his car never hooked under 60mph. I love the way a choppy lope sounds but I think a nasty BOV sounds good too . What are your opinions on turbo cars? I rode in the car twice but never drove it. It seemed to drive like stock until the boost kicked in. Is that about right?

Another thing I am worried about is screwing up my engine. He blew a head gasket on a 525 tune and threw a rod or piston here recently on his 625/710 tune. It was a stock engine he bought with over 85,000 miles on it and the previous owner had custom valve reliefs on the pistons which he think caused it. Another local guy blew his LS6 intake manifold apart on a 700/800 tune on a forged engine.

I am going to get with him on this as well but I am curious to know before I talk to him again what kind of cam I should put in. He said to use my stock cam but I want a cam with SOME kind of lope in it. He also said a different cam would bring the boost on earlier. Anyone have any suggestions.

Can someone email me some convincing turbo videos, specifically of some on the street? I need some motivation. What should I do?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing I was wondering. With a stock engine, I would have to settle for a 550/600 tune (or could I do more?) My engine is in good shape with 43,000 miles on it and was stock up to 40,000 miles. 550/600 is about what I will be putting down with my TNT kit too. How would these two fair lined up? I think the nitrous set-up would pull harder to start and then the turbo would catch up. I just got done watching a few turbo and cam/nitrous cars and I just like the way the cam/nitrous car sounds much more. Call me old school. I am still seriously considering the turbo though. I also don't like the idea of the nitrous kit going too lean or rich with change in bottle pressure. I don't think ther fluctuation is good for it. And don't give me the, "you have to keep re-filling the bottle" excuse either. I wouldn't spray THAT much.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your happy with what you got stick with it. But theres nothing like driveing a turbo car thats set up right. You say you'll have to settle for 550/600? Come on man you say that like its nothing! 500+ street car that crazy. How may cars in your area roll around as daily drives with over 500 hp? Prolly not a lot......
Old 12-20-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

I wouldnt really know how much to offer. Why dont you ask him what he wants to get out of it and tell him you'll get back to him and let him know what you can do? For the first several months I had my blower I wished I wouldve gone with a 6.0 swap, cam and nitrous. Im glad I made this choice now though. FI is awesome and if you want to later on you could always add a small shot. Im not sure if it is the same on turbo's, but on my truck I can give it varying degrees of throttle and see anywhere from 3-5# of boost. When I floor it I usually see about 10# before the shift.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:14 PM
chronic masturbator

also if your not capable of fixing your car (not bashing) you might want to stick with what you got, it takes alot of time and money to keep a FI car going. boost is like crack once you start you'll want more

hello my name is Gary and I have a boost addiction
Old 12-21-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're more than likely not going to hit 550 with that kit. You may on race gas with some very extensive tuning. I barely made 565 on a forged motor on race gas at 14psi. Do not buy that kit.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:24 AM
Staging Lane

If you're not really into going fast, the expense and effort needed for an FI car are probably not worth it. Using a bottle heater with nitrous tends to reduce the pressure fluctuations, and the setup would probably cost you less.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

UnusualT/A what the hell are you talking about. I have that kit on my car and take a look at my numbers. I have a friend who has the same kit and he is making almost 550rwhp with only 10lbs of boost on a near bone stock LS1!
Old 12-21-2004, 08:15 AM
chronic masturbator

the kit is very hit and miss bottom line turbochad your car has seen ALOT (well over 100 free dyno trips) of tune time, anything over 600hp on the kit is a strech for a person that doesn't have unlimited dyno access. IMHO

Gary
Old 12-21-2004, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Well I would have to agree that dyno time is invaluable, but that is true with any high hp FI car if you want it right. My buddies QMP car was tuned within a few hours and it has been a daily driver for about a year now at well over 500rwhp. Besides the guy asking about this kit lives very close to Rob and Rob still has access to the dyno and could tune it for him if need be.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Just to add a little more info. My car starts (cold or hot), idles, and runs like a bone stock car until you mash the throttle. It is a car I would trust to drive anywhere!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Chad That Must Be One Sweet Ride
Old 12-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with you ruquick, anyone that owns a car like this is one lucky individual, lol!!!!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

I KNOW THATS RIGHT
Old 12-21-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, I was told this kit is only good up to 650rwhp with the p67. My buddy has a p76 and he is putting down 730rwhp/830 rwtq on pump gas and alcohol injection.
I really don't see how this kit is hit or miss. I've seen about ten of them on the dyno and they ALL put down 550 or more, many of them stock. I think it comes down to the installer/tuner.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i made 530 rwhp with a very conservative tune. 550 rwhp would be easy with a more agressive tune on pump gas. unusual, i think you gave up to easy on the kit. its a good kit but if you like what you have just stick with it and hit it with some gas. that will work just as well
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 PM
chronic masturbator

All points are very well put, Im not saying the kit will not put up good numbers but 600+ is not easy with that kit, but for someone who wants to install a kit make 550+hp and be done (without problems). It wont happen with that kit hell it wont happen with most major upgrades, I did not mean for it to sound like I was bashing the qmp kit, but for someone trying to keep from messing up an engine. I think there are better options. Like I said before these are just my opinions of what I have seen. I'd check and see what he wants for it and if the price seems right go for it, build the motor and kit, tune it, then attempt to blow turbochads numbers out of the water. that would be quite a feat IMHO.

good luck and keep us posted if you get it
Gary
Old 12-21-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turbochad
UnusualT/A what the hell are you talking about. I have that kit on my car and take a look at my numbers. I have a friend who has the same kit and he is making almost 550rwhp with only 10lbs of boost on a near bone stock LS1!
First of all I don't give a **** about your numbers. YOu bought someone elses hotrod project that spent more time on the dyno than you have wiping your *** for the last 15 years. Secondly have you not seen how many people who didn't have rob touch the kit not make any power? I would think with a forged 347 and a good tune I would have made more than most but I didn't. Blame it on the tune if you will, but the same tuner that did mine has done 3 of the fastest stock internal cars in the nation, and over 6 low 6 second 1/8mile cars. Rob was unhelpful and more than hell to get ahold of. The log design for this kit was horribe, not to mention I had the T76GTQ and barely made 565 on 104 octane.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KAOS
i made 530 rwhp with a very conservative tune. 550 rwhp would be easy with a more agressive tune on pump gas. unusual, i think you gave up to easy on the kit. its a good kit but if you like what you have just stick with it and hit it with some gas. that will work just as well
I think you got lucky.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SStolen
No, I was told this kit is only good up to 650rwhp with the p67. My buddy has a p76 and he is putting down 730rwhp/830 rwtq on pump gas and alcohol injection.
I really don't see how this kit is hit or miss. I've seen about ten of them on the dyno and they ALL put down 550 or more, many of them stock. I think it comes down to the installer/tuner.

You've seen ten? How many of them were made again? LOL Please post up each of the ten cars, mods, tune, and dyno graphs. I'm calling bullshit.

Quick Reply: Gauging cost on QMP kit- Will I even like it?