Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5 psi STS ET's

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just playing a lil devils advocate here..

I love my kit and have some big plans with it but V6 Bird does have a point.

In some circumstances you can actually generate a slow 60' on a turbo car than the car did stock or at least make it no better.

In my case I added a turbo that was too big for my motor. This will obviously cause a lot of lag. Add in the fact that you are running a TON less timing than you would N/A and possibly a bit more fuel to cushion the big hit when the turbo does spool up and you can indeed have some horrid 60' times off idle launching.

In my truck if I don't prespool I can only pull 2.0-2.1 60's. I won't hit serious boost till well after the 60' mark. People that have watched this say it looks like a regular old truck launch till 100+ft out then it look slike I hit a 200shot of nitrous. Honestly that's what it feels like to. LOL

Ya'll have seen what happens when i do spool it up. My 60's drop to 1.80s (when the trans doesn't slip off the line). So with a proper setup for drag racing you don't have to worry about lag but if my truck was a 2wd on street tires then there is no way ion hell I could prespool and launch without sending up a cloud of smoke so I could totally see how the average F-body with no drag race style mods would end up with a shitty 60'.

That being said, some people don't care about drag racing and that's totally cool with me. This kit CAN do both but you have to have the good if you wanna cut killer 60's is all. I don't know how all other vehicles will react on a big turbo but this is what happend to me. Not that I'm complaining.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

My timing is actually higher in the non-boost parts of the table than it ever was before the turbo Maybe that's why I've never had any noticable lag.

And in this case, the tuning is stock, so I don't see how the 60' could be affected by the turbo, except for burning up the line.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
My timing is actually higher in the non-boost parts of the table than it ever was before the turbo Maybe that's why I've never had any noticable lag.

And in this case, the tuning is stock, so I don't see how the 60' could be affected by the turbo, except for burning up the line.

Good point bro
Old 02-08-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 498 Likes on 348 Posts

Has anyone but me noticed that in February the track surface and the air are both cold in most parts of the country? Cold track=bad launch Cold air=good power and mph
I know with a full drag setup this doesn't matter as much, but I doubt most sts owners are running full race setups.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Staging Lane

Maybe they should sponsor a car so some good times get posted...
Old 02-09-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zombie
What ever you guys do, don't add a STS kit to your car... It will slow down! Especially the 60 foots.

Dude, you must be pretty clueless to think that adding a turbo kit will slow down your 60 ft unless it's just from wheel spin. Boost 200ft out? thats a joke. If you launch correctly in a stick your in boost well before th 60' mark, all it takes is traction from good tires. A stock stall won't build much boost either.

You have to realize that not everybody is a hard core drag racer and doesn't care about ET's. ET's don't me very much to me, I care more about MPH than the ET. If I want good ET's i'd put a th400 in my car but then it wouldn't be as much fun to drive every day.

I got a domestic supra and i'm proud of it.
I dont care who you think you are, but Ive had the distributors car for STS here in Dallas come to my track. You know what the car ran? 8.8's and 8.9's in a 6 speed SOM Formula on street tires. Guess what happened, the car BOGGED and did NOT get into boost until 200 ft down the track.

Another car, has a 408 and a stock stall, even trying to build a little boost off the line, the car did the same as his 6 speed counterpart and did not make boost until well after the 60 foot. The tires DID NOT spin. My track hooks!

These arent the only cars out there that do this. If rear turbos were so efficient you'd see them on the Pro's car and on Harlen's. You kill exhaust velocity by running 12 ft of pipe to a turbo in a far away location. Period.

I understand physics, and I understand that there are nut huggers for STS kits as there are any other kits. Ill stick to front mount stuff and respect the real ideas of having a turbo mounted in the front. Leave all the redneck new invention stuff to all the followers of rear turdslow kits..
Old 02-09-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PurEvl
you must have missed the gto vids were it builds boost on the line and goes 11.6 at 120+
So whats that make it like 1 in 20 kits out there? Im not impressed. Stock motor cars with a small stall and 125 shots run 10.7's at 3500-3600 lbs here in TX.

At least I have someone in here with common sense that understands where im coming from.

Come again!

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Just playing a lil devils advocate here..

I love my kit and have some big plans with it but V6 Bird does have a point.

In some circumstances you can actually generate a slow 60' on a turbo car than the car did stock or at least make it no better.

In my case I added a turbo that was too big for my motor. This will obviously cause a lot of lag. Add in the fact that you are running a TON less timing than you would N/A and possibly a bit more fuel to cushion the big hit when the turbo does spool up and you can indeed have some horrid 60' times off idle launching.

In my truck if I don't prespool I can only pull 2.0-2.1 60's. I won't hit serious boost till well after the 60' mark. People that have watched this say it looks like a regular old truck launch till 100+ft out then it look slike I hit a 200shot of nitrous. Honestly that's what it feels like to. LOL

Ya'll have seen what happens when i do spool it up. My 60's drop to 1.80s (when the trans doesn't slip off the line). So with a proper setup for drag racing you don't have to worry about lag but if my truck was a 2wd on street tires then there is no way ion hell I could prespool and launch without sending up a cloud of smoke so I could totally see how the average F-body with no drag race style mods would end up with a shitty 60'.

That being said, some people don't care about drag racing and that's totally cool with me. This kit CAN do both but you have to have the good if you wanna cut killer 60's is all. I don't know how all other vehicles will react on a big turbo but this is what happend to me. Not that I'm complaining.

Thats what IM TALKING about.

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gametech
Has anyone but me noticed that in February the track surface and the air are both cold in most parts of the country? Cold track=bad launch Cold air=good power and mph
I know with a full drag setup this doesn't matter as much, but I doubt most sts owners are running full race setups.
You are making excuses for something that we already know did not happen.

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
So whats that make it like 1 in 20 kits out there? Im not impressed. Stock motor cars with a small stall and 125 shots run 10.7's at 3500-3600 lbs here in TX.

At least I have someone in here with common sense that understands where im coming from.

Come again!

Mike
dude your still flapping your **** holster over this ****? You brought up the untuned stock headed 408 again too. Get a ******* life fagbait. There have been plenty in the 11's since your last attempt at trolling.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont care who you think you are, but Ive had the distributors car for STS here in Dallas come to my track. You know what the car ran? 8.8's and 8.9's in a 6 speed SOM Formula on street tires. Guess what happened, the car BOGGED and did NOT get into boost until 200 ft down the track.

Another car, has a 408 and a stock stall, even trying to build a little boost off the line, the car did the same as his 6 speed counterpart and did not make boost until well after the 60 foot. The tires DID NOT spin. My track hooks!

These arent the only cars out there that do this. If rear turbos were so efficient you'd see them on the Pro's car and on Harlen's. You kill exhaust velocity by running 12 ft of pipe to a turbo in a far away location. Period.

I understand physics, and I understand that there are nut huggers for STS kits as there are any other kits. Ill stick to front mount stuff and respect the real ideas of having a turbo mounted in the front. Leave all the redneck new invention stuff to all the followers of rear turdslow kits..

Your are a tool bag! My N/A LT1 still bogs off the line if i slip the clutch out too fast at too low an rpm!! If I did that I would pull 13.0's @ 114mph w/2.3x 60'. Oh wait, I must have had an sts kit in back to do that...not a N/A LT1. Front mount or rear mount, it doesnt matter you dumb ****. With a 6 speed nobody is making boost off the line and if you dump/slip the clutch to fast and too low in the rpm band you will/can bog. Lets see, since I pulled 2.1's when I was almost stock, but have pulled a few 2.3's with heads/cam, that means nobody should buy heads and cam because it takes so long to make power due to my heads/cam LAG!!!! Damn, I have had a new revelation!!!

LESSON OF THE DAY:

60' depends on driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLASS DISMISSED!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

See what you guys fail to notice is that by moving the STS kit to the rear of the truck you are interfereing with the proper boost fluid pressure being built up by the spark decouplers. Without proper boost fluid pressure in the spark decouplers, how in the hell to do you expect to have the condensate shaft hooking up at the track? Sheesh! Every idiot knows this stuff if he understands plasma physics!!!

So...

1) TURBO LAG is the time it takes to build to full boost after going to full throttle. It has nothing to do with bogging on the line. That is from tuning or driving...
2) "You kill exhaust velocity by running 12 ft of pipe to a turbo in a far away location. Period." And? That's why they run such low MPHs, right? All that lost horsepower? You lose TEMPERATURE by moving the turbo. But guess what? Increase the PRESSURE and the TEMPERATURE goes back up, right? Anyway, turbos are driven by exhaust pulses...
3) I predicted this line of STS bashing a while ago -- I said that as soon as more people started posting times and they were decent with great MPHs some "expert" would start complaining about 60 foot times LOL. Step right on up, Mike.
4) Pro's don't use STS kits -- okay fair enough -- why not? They are doing max effort, FULL RACE setups. I notice most of them don't use ET Streets either, so therefore, ET Streets must suck. Same thing with full sized radiators and A/C and passenger seats, and intank fuel pumps and keys!!!! Or Radix kits -- and well all know Radix kits suck, right? LOL

But, hey, Thanks Mike for the entertainment.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Restricted User

Ugh, this reminds me of the oldie but goodie Dino. Oil vs. Synthetic Oil posts.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

This Thread has officially been Hi-jacked. Its turned into surprise, surprise ANOTHER STS bashing Thread. Thing is, the STS work and thats all most are looking for, even though this is said again and again. Domestic supras are new age toys .. .. Don't you think if people wanted to go all out Drag Racing they would??? I think so. . . but most are simply looking for power adders and that is what STS kits do, they add power!! Case Closed.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, my name is V6 Bird and I have no clue what i'm talking about.
Mike
Oh noessess not a STS turdbo on with a obx front mount. The sky is falling, help me. My car is going to be very very slow because it's cheap and breaks "the rules".

Dude, you really need an education on how turbo's work as well as how drag racing works. It's pretty simple physics, even you should be able to tackle it.

I still don't understand why these idiots keep coming into these threads and do all this bashing for no reason. It's freakin big endian little endian crap (10 points to you if you know that refference). It works great, just cause it doesn't agree with your meager comprehension skills doesn't mean you need to bash constantly.

Which would you rather drive every day? A 13.0 that traps 100 mph or a 13.0 car that traps 120 mph? Who cares about ET when all you do is drive your car to enjoy it and just go to the track a few times a year for fun? I know I sure don't.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RealQuick

Your are a tool bag! My N/A LT1 still bogs off the line if i slip the clutch out too fast at too low an rpm!! If I did that I would pull 13.0's @ 114mph w/2.3x 60'. Oh wait, I must have had an sts kit in back to do that...not a N/A LT1. Front mount or rear mount, it doesnt matter you dumb ****. With a 6 speed nobody is making boost off the line and if you dump/slip the clutch to fast and too low in the rpm band you will/can bog. Lets see, since I pulled 2.1's when I was almost stock, but have pulled a few 2.3's with heads/cam, that means nobody should buy heads and cam because it takes so long to make power due to my heads/cam LAG!!!! Damn, I have had a new revelation!!!

LESSON OF THE DAY:

60' depends on driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLASS DISMISSED!

Maybe you could line up with my car and that mouth and ill knock em out one by one. Deal?

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PurEvl
dude your still flapping your **** holster over this ****? You brought up the untuned stock headed 408 again too. Get a ******* life fagbait. There have been plenty in the 11's since your last attempt at trolling.
11's, thats lame!

Seriously, my cam only car runs deep in the 11's NA. Its a baby cam at that.

Pull my **** out of your mouth before you speak next time.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

11's, thats lame!

ya with a stall and slicks, Im talking about 6 speed cars on street tires. No real setups have been track tested yet with the sts. As for your **** in my mouth...I could whistle dixie and eat a hamburger and there would still be enough room.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

11's, thats lame!

Thief, thief!!! Those ***** don't belong to you... Neither does this thread.
Again you have proven yourself not up to the task of knowing anything that you are talking about regarding turbo's and STS kit.

People said it would never work... it worked.
People said it would not dyno well... it dynoed well
People said there would be horrendous lag... lag is was nowhere near as bad as thought
People said it wouldn't do well at the track... It is doing just fine at the track

Mike... this is not the first time you have bashed STS kits. You don't like them, fine, don't buy one. AND you have the right to your opinion, BUT when you start spouting off and haven't done your homework, you produce mis-information.

And in all, I think you are out to get this thread locked, which probably will, and that means you win.

ADMIN... please stop locking STS threads and just edit out the trolls.
People are getting what they are asking for. The OP posted track times and doesn't deserve to get his thread locked because of flame bait.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been sitting on the fence about a turbo lately and nearly bought an sts but the new price increases stopped me for now.I think they went up over a thousand bucks since they first came out.So they aren't that cheap anymore really but a bit cheaper than a front mount kit.But there is nothing wrong with some of the mph and times I have seen so far.
Also I thought six speed cars need a two step to launch properly.I have a turbo talon and of course its normal turbo configuration but most guys that race them use a two step stutter box thing.Now talons especially my awd can get a fantastic 60ft off the line like 1.6 on street tires.I am not sure if that is due to the front mount normal turbo design or not.

Also a couple other things come to mind here..What is done to your v6 to make it go 11s? Even at sea level the only six bangers I know that are that fast have superchargers and or nitrous to approach those times.Or you have a front mount turbo?
And I would like to see a car hit 10.7 with converters and 125 shots maybe if they were totally stripped down to nothing.It takes I think around 600 engine hp to hit 10s or very light weight and great 60fts too.Course my track is at 1900 feet so that hurts times a bit.But think the correction is about three tenths and our fastest ls1 car with heads/cam/headers and all bolt ons only hits 12.2 with very 60fts around 2.0.

It will be interesting to see how more of these sts cars do this summer with proper track setups.And as for turbo lag killing 60fts the videos I have seen on the sts sites seem to show tons of wheelspin and smoking tires,they appear to have traction problems not turbo lag problems or were all those cars autos?

Quick Reply: 5 psi STS ET's