Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5 psi STS ET's

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005 | 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone find out if Thunder racing got some new ET's yet? Remember, their car did lose a couple tenths with the STS which they blamed on tranny slipping, and not being able to build boost on the line (it is an auto too).

-Geoff
Old 02-09-2005 | 08:30 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I expected toolish responses like this. Its always an attempt to get people to believe your way. Ill take any of the STS cars street or race against my car in the March race. Any takers?

Cam only nitrous fed, street car here.

Translation: "Erik, I can't dispute your logic or argue any of your counter points, so I will just result to name calling and some vague attempt at trying to make you look like the troll rather me. I'll then sum it all up by a macho call out full of a bunch of bull."

My response: You're about as lame as those guys who threaten to punch people out on the internet. Oh wait...

Shouldn't your screenie be V6 Troll? Now threaten us all again please. I have my popcorn now.

Last edited by TurboBerserker; 02-09-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2005 | 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PurEvl
Guys I just went through alot of v6birds posts and hes quit the **** talker and has been called on his mouth before. He does have a very fast car, of course its got a th400 and its gutted.....******* chooch is talking **** with an all out race car. Ya th400 is totally street car Talk to me when your 3800 pounds and using a 6 speed, lets see how fast you go then.
My car sits on the street everywhere it goes. So i take it all the late 60's cars were race cars too since they have T400's in them. Bitch please. Go cry to someone else because I was smart and built my drivetrain to handle all the abuse I throw it. "Race" cars dont drive to Thunder shoot, SBSO and then drive home with out a trailer. Go tell that the someone who is obvisouly got weak links in there cars.

FWIW, my car is 3420 with me in the car.
Old 02-10-2005 | 07:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by eas020223
Hey V6 bird i will run you. And do you think you can push my teeth in??? Hmm want to find out??? And what do you do when your bottle is emty?? Want to do a 200 or 300 mile road race?? Oh i forgot you have no overdrive and your bottle will run out ha ha ha
And your motor will grenade....Whats your point. No turbo setup here. If one bottle runs out at the track, I simply throw in another. Pretty easy.

I have a purpose built car, to get from point a to point b the quickest on a drag surface....

You want to run the twisties, come after my bike. Ill be glad to throw it around for you while you attempt to keep up.

Mike
Old 02-10-2005 | 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
My car sits on the street everywhere it goes. So i take it all the late 60's cars were race cars too since they have T400's in them. Bitch please. Go cry to someone else because I was smart and built my drivetrain to handle all the abuse I throw it. "Race" cars dont drive to Thunder shoot, SBSO and then drive home with out a trailer. Go tell that the someone who is obvisouly got weak links in there cars.

FWIW, my car is 3420 with me in the car.
3420? What do you weigh 140, whats taken out? I guess being 260 isnt helping me. Im still over 700rwhp with a stock t56, no need to upgrade here. And why you posting civil to me, I have been jipped.
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PurEvl
3420? What do you weigh 140, whats taken out? I guess being 260 isnt helping me. Im still over 700rwhp with a stock t56, no need to upgrade here. And why you posting civil to me, I have been jipped.
Ive got a formula, I weigh 195. 5'11"

Mike
Old 02-10-2005 | 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just read this trash talk , and i believe the guy that started the thread was just posting his results for the first time ever at the track .. Pretty shitty for some guys to bad talk , we all started somewhere.. as for fast , its seems pretty respectable for the mods , i wont knock it ..

v6 bird would you be willing to bring that car of your up to the eastern states and really see how fast it is.
alot of talk bring it dont sing it.
I know a couple 10in tire street cars that would give you a hop, skip and a jump headstart .. J/K no hard feeling
Old 02-10-2005 | 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by boomcase
I just read this trash talk , and i believe the guy that started the thread was just posting his results for the first time ever at the track .. Pretty shitty for some guys to bad talk , we all started somewhere.. as for fast , its seems pretty respectable for the mods , i wont knock it ..

v6 bird would you be willing to bring that car of your up to the eastern states and really see how fast it is.
alot of talk bring it dont sing it.
I know a couple 10in tire street cars that would give you a hop, skip and a jump headstart .. J/K no hard feeling
If I had money to travel and drive the car that way, Id take a 10 car spot...Only problem is that most of the stuff these days are trailered. Ive got some other friends in True 10" Tires that travel that way to the Carolinas often though. PM if you want to set something up.

Mike
Old 02-10-2005 | 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by boomcase
For the record, the guy who posted originally hasn't posted again or defended his results. Also, the last time he posted, he was getting a forged 6.0 setup, plus he already had methanol injection and nitrous on the car to score him a mid 11 a few months back. I would really like to hear the full story on how his car is back to stock.

-Geoff
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
For the record, the guy who posted originally hasn't posted again or defended his results. Also, the last time he posted, he was getting a forged 6.0 setup, plus he already had methanol injection and nitrous on the car to score him a mid 11 a few months back. I would really like to hear the full story on how his car is back to stock.

-Geoff
Good research...Things are always fishy here in the tool section

Mike
Old 02-10-2005 | 04:12 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by White_Hawk

-Geoff
Ohhh, the plot thickens.
Old 02-10-2005 | 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

people seem to forget that it's a 5.7l v8, even if there was lag (please think about the word) it still has AT LEAST the same off-the line capabilities as a stock ls1.

I haven't signed on in a bit, but i do remember people saying:

1. It won't work- oops
2. It won make power-oops
3. It won't make 500rwhp- oops
4. Methanol doesn't work/ it needs methanol- oops
5 It won't be good at the track- oops
6. Traps are good but it can't generate good e.t.s- oops

(see a pattern? giving yourself rope)

so forth and so on. Not to mention some of these people were running certain front mount t-72/t-76 turbos or expensive (and unreliable) suprechargers BARELY getting out of 12s if that.

sucks to be them.

PS. the kit was never advertised as great drag kit or more powerful yet it has gotten rode on 10X more than any of these $16k-by-the-end-of-it kits that still don't do what they're capable of.
Old 02-11-2005 | 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Excal
I haven't signed on in a bit, but i do remember people saying:

1. It won't work- oops
2. It won make power-oops
3. It won't make 500rwhp- oops
4. Methanol doesn't work/ it needs methanol- oops
5 It won't be good at the track- oops
6. Traps are good but it can't generate good e.t.s- oops

(see a pattern? giving yourself rope)
1. I never said it wouldnt work, to me its a junky setup.
2. Never said it wouldnt make power.
3. Same as above
4. never commented on that.
5. I have yet to see an STS kit out perform a cam only or even stock internal car at the track that I work at. I see posts all the time too. Face it a car can mph all it wants to, but when you have a 2.3 60 ft vs a 1.6 60 ft, the STS car doesnt have a full mile to catch this other car. Each car that Ive seen at the track with an STS kit, BOGS at the track and DOES NOT make boost until at least 200 ft after takeoff!
6. Once again, i dont care if a car can run 120 in the 1/4 with an STS kit, the ET's have yet to match the mph in the cars that ive seen first had with an STS kit. The excuses either fly to the tuning, the car wasnt meant to do blah blah blah, or street tires, or untuned, no brake boost. WHa Wha Wha. Thats all I hear. Im not a believer. Period. Im entitled to my opinion and well use my freedom of speech to voice it. For those who dont like it, dont read it. pretty simple.

Mike
Old 02-11-2005 | 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Face it a car can mph all it wants to, but when you have a 2.3 60 ft vs a 1.6 60 ft, the STS car doesnt have a full mile to catch this other car.
I shouldn't be getting involved in this, but this is getting out of line. The person that got the 2.3 was on street tires, im guessing stock suspension, and wasn't very experienced at the track. Nothing wrong with that, none of us were born with 1/4 experience. We should see what an experienced driver with a stalled A4, slicks, suspension mods and a STS can do. I dont see why he wouldn't be able to run 60ft's comparable to other turbo setups. Plus, keep in mind he is only running 5psi, and I dont think he has it tuned to have extra timing at times of pre-boost.
Old 02-11-2005 | 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

congrats on the run, however, and please dont flame me.. but i cant see myself laying down that kinda money, when u could easily take the same amount of money and do b/o's and run in the high 11's with ease with a stalled a4. i love the sts turbo kit. i think its neat as hell and id really like to have one on a car, but it really seems as if these turbos on stock motors dont compare to nitrous on a stock motor.. i know there not running a lot of boost ect... but why do u pay so much money to run 5psi on a stock motor? woudln't a supercharger even do better?
Old 02-11-2005 | 06:40 PM
Restricted User

I am with you on this one PNYTMR. However, it is the same reason people like apples versus oranges and oranges better than peaches and peaches better than pears. It all depends on what the person wants.

They only run 5psi due to the already high compression ratio of the motor. If you introduce a system the forces air into the motor, anything more than 5 psi on a stock
block, stock injectors, etc will make it go PING, PING, PING...BOOM!
Old 02-11-2005 | 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Using the same analogy, I could spend a couple hundred dollars on rocket motors and make my car go REALLY fast.... well once anyway . Probably would not be legal at the track.
Then again, THE ORIGINAL idea for this setup was to give trucks more hp/tq to hall things. They just recently started using it on cars.

SHOW me a quote from one of us saying that an STS kit will be a quarter mile king. You can't. You guys are the ones setting a bar that you don't set against similiar FI setups. V6 care to comment against a P1-SC?

A guy came up and posted his times. There are/were sooo many variables involved but you jump on the kit. It couldn't be his driving skills, or his suspension, or his tuning, blah blah waaahhh?
Some of you guys live a quarter mile at a time. Others live and die with dyno numbers.
Whatever. Your argueing the same stuff that has been played out last year.

V6 This is the FI section. Do you have something to contribute? You like the bottle, and heads. That is not practicle in my opinion (bottle). But my car isn't purpose built to go down a straight track.

You guys need to compare apples to apples, oranges to oranges.
You could have just said... Ok track times... I think you could have had a better 60'.
But no... Now do you see the pattern?
Old 02-11-2005 | 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
congrats on the run, however, and please dont flame me.. but i cant see myself laying down that kinda money, when u could easily take the same amount of money and do b/o's and run in the high 11's with ease with a stalled a4. i love the sts turbo kit. i think its neat as hell and id really like to have one on a car, but it really seems as if these turbos on stock motors dont compare to nitrous on a stock motor.. i know there not running a lot of boost ect... but why do u pay so much money to run 5psi on a stock motor? woudln't a supercharger even do better?
Not that I have seen... they have the same problems after 5psi as any FI.
And if we use dyno sheets as the golden measurement, the STS system makes it's power faster and more torque under the curve than say the ATI P1-SC. and costs about $1000 less.
Once you start increasing the boost, you have to start spending a lot more money, and that goes for ANY forced inducted system.
I like to think of the STS system as a bottle system that is always on.
AND when it finally gets its CARB cert, it will be street legal, get better gas milage, drive and idle like stock until I get on it.
Old 02-11-2005 | 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wildman
Not that I have seen... they have the same problems after 5psi as any FI.
And if we use dyno sheets as the golden measurement, the STS system makes it's power faster and more torque under the curve than say the ATI P1-SC. and costs about $1000 less.
Once you start increasing the boost, you have to start spending a lot more money, and that goes for ANY forced inducted system.
I like to think of the STS system as a bottle system that is always on.
AND when it finally gets its CARB cert, it will be street legal, get better gas milage, drive and idle like stock until I get on it.

okay, but that doesn't awnser my question really.. why throw one on a stock motor with the high compression and low boost levels.. im not bashing, im just sayinmg some of these guys who are "anti sts" need to see some times with a sts turbo kit on a car built for a damn turbo, then see what kind of #'s it puts down ya know... cuase right now there is no question, 5psi isn't getting it done and prolly isn't as safe with the high compression as a 150 shot is.
Old 02-11-2005 | 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe so, but the bottle isn't the answer to everything. If it was, you would be seeing Harlan and Dave running 1000 shot (/sarcastic).
My point is that people are bashing the '5psi' base STS system at a cost of around $3500 and yet do not say much about the base '5psi' system that other companies offer that are more expensive and do not perform any better.
You could put the money on bolt on's and a bottle, but there are arguements against it as well. I started off going down the heads and cam avenue. But I didn't want to go overly aggresive with the cam nor with the heads (drivability and gas milage would suffer).
There is no arguement against the bottle, it is the best bang for your buck, period.
But that is not the only arguement here. The arguement here is trolling STS threads just because you don't like it. (not refering to you PNYTAMR). And Making a blanket statement saying you KNOW that STS suck because you saw a couple of guys running down the track that had poor 60's.
Thats like saying Harlan's car sucks and is slow because he got a bad time going down the track when he did his wheel stand.

EDIT: I still didn't answer your question.
For me the answer is, because I can have that extra HP and TQ ALWAYS on and not suffer drivability, get better gas milage AND be street legal (pending). With the H/C/Bottle, all of that would suffer and be illegal in most cities. It is not just a cost issue.

Last edited by Wildman; 02-11-2005 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: 5 psi STS ET's