Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5 psi STS ET's

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:17 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus, it goes whoooosshh-shh-shh-shh-CHA-CHA-CHACHA and scared little old ladies. Show me a bottle that can do that!

Seriously, why not let your first mod be an STS. Unlike many other poweradders and turbo can just grow and grow and grow (and easily).
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wildman
Maybe so, but the bottle isn't the answer to everything. If it was, you would be seeing Harlan and Dave running 1000 shot (/sarcastic).
My point is that people are bashing the '5psi' base STS system at a cost of around $3500 and yet do not say much about the base '5psi' system that other companies offer that are more expensive and do not perform any better.
You could put the money on bolt on's and a bottle, but there are arguements against it as well. I started off going down the heads and cam avenue. But I didn't want to go overly aggresive with the cam nor with the heads (drivability and gas milage would suffer).
There is no arguement against the bottle, it is the best bang for your buck, period.
But that is not the only arguement here. The arguement here is trolling STS threads just because you don't like it. (not refering to you PNYTAMR). And Making a blanket statement saying you KNOW that STS suck because you saw a couple of guys running down the track that had poor 60's.
Thats like saying Harlan's car sucks and is slow because he got a bad time going down the track when he did his wheel stand.

EDIT: I still didn't answer your question.
For me the answer is, because I can have that extra HP and TQ ALWAYS on and not suffer drivability, get better gas milage AND be street legal (pending). With the H/C/Bottle, all of that would suffer and be illegal in most cities. It is not just a cost issue.
tru.. ive thought about laying down 3500 for ths kit... but how upgradable is it ect??? i mean can it propel a car to the high 9's with a forged 346 and all the goodies.. this kit is great for the person looking for what ur looking for.. my problem is if i roll up to the local rice hangout with all the 650hp supras and i have a turbo ls1.. the damn thing better be able to push more then 5psi and run better then 12.40 or im going to lose to a turbo sixer ya know.. the bottle is easy for me... its not my first choice.. but its not complicated.. plug and play and is safe on the stock motor with no tune if its used "correctly".. the sts kit is the kit id have just b/c its easy to install and sounds like teh best kit for someone new to FI.. however, is it really best for someone who doens't care about gas milage or drivability or being legal.. someone who just cares about making insane power. oh and thanks for discussing this with me and not getting pissed, im not meaning to bash the sts kit at all.. not everything can be right for everybody and ppl need to respect other ppls routes they take with there car. im just trying to figure some things out for myself.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

do the sts kits have blow off valves.. i swear to god that maybe the only thing ive ever heard on a ricer that i said, wow taht sounds kinda neat lol..
Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

hey, what do u think this turbo would do on just 5psi with a good tune and a 3.23 gear and 3000 stall. what do u do about headers and all that stuff? wont the 3000 stall help it get up into its powerband better over stock.. that would help 60fts right? also would it not do a lot better with slicks? im thinking with 120mph traps.. with my car being real light and having the stall and tires she could see 10's on the stock motor!
Old 02-11-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ummm... hate to tell you this. There will always be someone faster.
And I really don't think a bottle will help against a 650HP supra, unless it is a second power adder.
What you have to ask yourself FIRST... is how much am I willing to spend,
and then what is your final goal.
If you are going to make a purpose built street turbo car, the STS might not be the way to go (IE do you want to keep your AC, passenger seats, TH400?)
Can you upgrade the STS... sure can. How far, no one knows yet.
Look at PurEvl, and then look at Jammer's car. STS is still in the discovery phase.
But AGAIN... once you start passing say 5psi, ALL FI SYSTEMS start paying the same price.
Bigger Turbo will cost roughly the same for front or rear mounts.
Bigger Injectors... same price
Better Fuel Pump... same price
Heads... same
Cam... same
Tuning... same

But I won't bullsh!t you, I don't think you will see the same top end power as some of the purpose built high end turbo cars on here.
Will it see 9's, I think it could.
8's... maybe, with twins...
7's... I very much doubt it. Just being realistic. But the system has done a lot better than people have given it credit for. Specially when it was made to do something else.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

a/c is already gone.. i love the idea of a turbo. and the sts kit.. and my 150 shot trapped only 122.8 with a 2.2x 60ft.. so it was prolly a similar run to this guys run since he had a shitty 60 and trapped 120.. hes got that 120mph on tap all the time though like u siad and thats what i like.. perhaps a cam/heads is the way for me to have 120mph traps or close to, and keep spraying.. who knows, either way i hope ya'll keep posting in this thread in a civil tone so ppl like me can atleast learn something.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
hey, what do u think this turbo would do on just 5psi with a good tune and a 3.23 gear and 3000 stall. what do u do about headers and all that stuff? wont the 3000 stall help it get up into its powerband better over stock.. that would help 60fts right? also would it not do a lot better with slicks? im thinking with 120mph traps.. with my car being real light and having the stall and tires she could see 10's on the stock motor!
Headers- keep them if you got them, otherwise you don't need them until you start upgrading.
Tuning-5psi without FMIC is a must, and stock injectors/pump still might not be able to keep up on top.
Stall- will only help. But when you get to the higher stalls, you start loosing streetability and/or MPG.
60ft-drag radials...
But I don't think you will see 10's on the base kit. but who knows?
EDIT: I just re-read that last part. With all that you mentioned and on the bottle, I don't wee why you couldn't dip into the 10's.

Last edited by Wildman; 02-11-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Plus, it goes whoooosshh-shh-shh-shh-CHA-CHA-CHACHA and scared little old ladies. Show me a bottle that can do that!

Seriously, why not let your first mod be an STS. Unlike many other poweradders and turbo can just grow and grow and grow (and easily).
Erik... Just wish my wallet could keep up!!!

Hmmm: Anyone seen my 10 second wallet?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wildman
Headers- keep them if you got them, otherwise you don't need them until you start upgrading.
Tuning-5psi without FMIC is a must, and stock injectors/pump still might not be able to keep up on top.
Stall- will only help. But when you get to the higher stalls, you start loosing streetability and/or MPG.
60ft-drag radials...
But I don't think you will see 10's on the base kit. but who knows?
EDIT: I just re-read that last part. With all that you mentioned and on the bottle, I don't wee why you couldn't dip into the 10's.

yea i should be damn close.. i nailed a 1.637 60ft last time out on the stock 10 bolt and worn out dragradials, this was at the 1/8th miler though, a shorted out wire to my switch cuaght on fire tho about 2/3's track and ended the nite and some of my carpets life early lol... that was with the 150 shot.. i ran a 2.27 60ft and 11.63 @ 122.8 with a cutout and airlid.. my car isn't gutted but its stripped from the facotry and its pretty lightwieght... im pretty sure since ive added the stall and dropped near 6 tenths off the 60ft i can drop 6 tenths in the 1/4.. hell ive since then put on the headers and off road y pipe. so we'll see... what i was saying though is, my car will only run 10 seconds if i have a full bottle though thats the catch.

anwyays i see 10's being possible if someone does it right.. hell there is a bolton car running 10.98 or something nad plenty in the low 11's.. so with 100rwhp more id say one could hit the 10's if someone had enuff enthusiasm to stick with it and run the # ya know. i dont think anyones really put the sts turbo to test on a stock motor or 347 forged motor yet...

also my lil 3000 stall, i cant tell a difference in gas milage or streetability to be honest.. then again hell i see wot 50% of the time when im drivig the car anyways lol.. stuff like taht isn't a concern to me.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

It's a truck, but it's at 5psi and has an STS

'94 reg cab chevy truck, stock 6.0L, 11.9@110mph

later,
Old 02-12-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

*** it, I'll race your *** V6 bird. You lose, you place a bumper sticker on your race car... "I like it in the rear now"
You win and I'll have one that says "Dont do it in the rear".
I'll even toss in $200 bucks too.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
tru.. ive thought about laying down 3500 for ths kit... but how upgradable is it ect??? i mean can it propel a car to the high 9's with a forged 346 and all the goodies.. this kit is great for the person looking for what ur looking for.. my problem is if i roll up to the local rice hangout with all the 650hp supras and i have a turbo ls1.. the damn thing better be able to push more then 5psi and run better then 12.40 or im going to lose to a turbo sixer ya know.. the bottle is easy for me... its not my first choice.. but its not complicated.. plug and play and is safe on the stock motor with no tune if its used "correctly".. the sts kit is the kit id have just b/c its easy to install and sounds like teh best kit for someone new to FI.. however, is it really best for someone who doens't care about gas milage or drivability or being legal.. someone who just cares about making insane power. oh and thanks for discussing this with me and not getting pissed, im not meaning to bash the sts kit at all.. not everything can be right for everybody and ppl need to respect other ppls routes they take with there car. im just trying to figure some things out for myself.
650 hp supra...pffft they better bring more then that for something like me. 650rwhp is my 10 psi setting for when im goin to church. I willl be the first proven 800-900rwhp sts in about 2 months, unless jammer beats me but hes cheating hes using two turbos
Old 02-12-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurEvl
650 hp supra...pffft they better bring more then that for something like me. 650rwhp is my 10 psi setting for when im goin to church. I willl be the first proven 800-900rwhp sts in about 2 months, unless jammer beats me but hes cheating hes using two turbos
Dont worry about me, the glory can be all yours... of course Mr. Squire himself has something goin on....

Last edited by Jammer; 02-14-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Yes, what will be coming out of the STS garage in the spring???? Hmmm.... we've got a pretty expensive 6.0L iron block sitting next to Rick's built TA. You ain't heard none of this from me but we all will see what an STS kit can do come spring time.

"Na na na na na, hey hey hey, good bye"

Quick Reply: 5 psi STS ET's