Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed is taking a beating on local forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phamspeed is taking a beating on local forum

Hey guys i made a post on a local board linking it to phamspeeds post of their $3400 price of their turbo kits so anyone interested would possibly buy. A few of the guys didn't like the kit and pointed out something interesting about the consistency of the kits. I don't mean to call out Phamspeed but an explanation would be nice about the pic attached below.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Phamspeed is taking a beating on local forum-17.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wait, these are 4 sets of the same header?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:31 AM
Sweet Cheeks

No? These HAVE to be either prototype designs or a sign of a bleak financial future.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know and that's what i hope to find out. If they are the same headers then they probably need to develop some better quality control. I don't think anyone is going to want to buy a kit that may or may not fit because of inconsistencies in the craftsmanship.

Greg
Old 02-08-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

They told me they test fit everything so lets hope thats true. Guess we will see soon.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would think those would have to be prototype versions or something. when you fab up something like that you would have to make jigs to ensure each of them was exactly the same. i know he (LT7?) mentioned at one point, not offering a certain part b/c it would require him to build a jig and so forth just to build a simple, inexpensive piece of tubing. so surely they have some sort of way to make each of these exactly the same. they seem very good at fabricating, and that is one of the basics, so lets hope they have a answer to this.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the manifolds are hand fabricated there is going to be some inconsistency. Does anyone really think that there will be a horsepower difference? Sounds like a bunch of keyboard warriors bashing.
Phil
Old 02-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

let me get this straight......you guys expect a custom kit that is 50% of the price of their competitors, to be a perfect fit and have high quality control?!?!
even the $7k turbo kits sometimes have fitment issues!
you guys crack me up.
you wanna pay for a yugo and get a mercedes.

cheaper prices usually means they had to cut corners somewhere. thats a fact of life.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
If the manifolds are hand fabricated there is going to be some inconsistency. Does anyone really think that there will be a horsepower difference? Sounds like a bunch of keyboard warriors bashing.
Phil

bingo phil...........as long as he test fits the parts and they work fine, it makes no difference if theyre all slightly inconsistent.
if a customer has a fitment issues, im sure he would replace the part.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as they all fit i wouldnt see a problem, like it was said before these are all hand made, its not like He has access to a $100,000 machine to keep everything held to .003"

my company has a few $500,000 triming machines and it cant hold the tolerance to an 1", yes an 1"!!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Phil
Thats exactly what I am thinking. Like I said before they said they test fitted everything before it goes out the door. If you not buying then don't bash.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Phil
Kinda what I'm thinking. Everyone's an expert on the internet.

I would like to hear the company's side of the story though.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Phil
Old 02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As long as they fit, the nay-sayers should STFU. This is an awesome kit at an awesome price, being built buy a guy out of his garage/small shop. Let them try to talk **** about his welding skills.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that the Nay Sayers are JUST bashin like all thoes Guys did when the STS kits first came out. If the Kits work and fit well than whats the deal? For that price and the quality of the work it simply cant be beat. If you want a Nice SS kit thats Front mounted than how can you beat this one!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmmmm.......... i wish i could weld that good......... man it seems people always need something to compalin about dont they..??
Kyle
Old 02-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Sound like a bunch of bitchen to me. as long as it fits ,its good. Hell your not paying for some super nice looking kit. They look good and get the job done. thats what matters
Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Who cares as longs as it fits your car. Now hears the rub. As long as the final end point is the same your good. But if your header gets messed up and you have to replace it and those ends do not match that would suck. I be they all fit just fine, the work seems to be good quaility.
Ricky
Old 02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Teching In

It looks to me that those are hot parts pics. I dont think their product would be off enough to tell just by looking. If you guys read their posts earlier then y6u would know that they built a JIG for the finished part.

BTW if you look you would notice that none of those parts are even done
Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Launching!

first off, that pic was taken at an angle. So of course the bottom manifolds will look different to the top ones, duh!! Second, all our manifolds are different, I'll admit it. We can't make every single manifold the exact same as the last. I challenge anyone to try this. We test fit every single kit right down to the O2 sensor bung. So even though they look different from each other, all will fit 100%. If you guys want us to make them look the same, we'd have to have a cnc bender do it and now you're talking cost. Do you remember what happened when the last company seeked outside bending and fabricating? I'm happy to say we do everything in house, this creates less issues in the future for our customers.

Quick Reply: Phamspeed is taking a beating on local forum