Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Add me to the list of TURBOCHARGED 4th gen F-bodies

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kyle, thats as long as I kept my foot in it for, just a quick blast from stop sign to stop sign. Same FAL 240's. I'm replacing my cut up airdam that I had on my ATI set up with a non cut up one. I'm also adding water wetter(40 below brand) as I drained my coolant when I was replacing my upper radiator hose and probably lost the water wetter when I drained it(had NAPA KOOL in there before)
Then I'll go from there.

Flynbludream, I'll be posting up when I'll be at the track so we can all meet out there whether its track ready or not....i'll just be glad to be at the track again

ARK, thanks man hope to have some good stuff soon.
J
Old 05-31-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool bud sounds good........ im hoping you do ok with one fan cause ill be using just one also........
We need a vid bro........ you said yesterday youd have one today... if ya need more hosting space, host it PM me the link and then ill rehost it.
Itll be later tonight though cause me and m better half our going out for dinner.... its my B-Day

Oh BTW what up with you and 100+ post threads huh?????
Kyle
Old 05-31-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

happy birthday kyle
Old 05-31-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

HAppy birthday Kyle. Enjoy!

Andy
Old 05-31-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanksz guys..... it was a good day....
Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah Happy birthday, even though your birthday was yesterday here.

When can we see some street video of this baby? Like some down the highway cruises with a few WOT punches. You got the 240 series fans also? How did you wire them in? I plan to install most of the supporting mods when I'm on R&R, that way it will be done by the time the turbo gets home. I think I'm going to coat the exhaust piping in JetHot 2000, good for like ~2500*, and coat the intake tract in the JetHot Sterling stuff. Should lower my underhood and intake temperatures. What do you think frcefed98?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Deamon2002
Yeah Happy birthday, even though your birthday was yesterday here.

When can we see some street video of this baby? Like some down the highway cruises with a few WOT punches. You got the 240 series fans also? How did you wire them in? I plan to install most of the supporting mods when I'm on R&R, that way it will be done by the time the turbo gets home. I think I'm going to coat the exhaust piping in JetHot 2000, good for like ~2500*, and coat the intake tract in the JetHot Sterling stuff. Should lower my underhood and intake temperatures. What do you think frcefed98?
id say some of that shinky heat teflective stuff and wrap ur pipes in that. itll work good
Old 06-01-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Deamon2002 I'd get all the hot parts coated professionally if I were you. Yep i'm running the FAL 240's. They've been on the car for few years. I have em wired to come on together and they operate on high speed all the time. I have em set to come on around 178 if remember right. They are on all the time, but it keeps the car cool.

heres the idle vid, I didn't have a camera man handy for a drive by with my home made SS "S" pipe
http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/turboidle.mp4
*EDIT* Download it, and if it saves it as turboidle.mp4.txt....just erase the .txt from the file name and you are good to go. *EDIT OFF*
its a before and after, quite the difference. I love how unnoticed I was in traffic today.

More video of it on the street but incar will be posted tomorrow afternoon. I'll be taping my drive to work....its first real "trip" as I travel about 20 minutes on the open highway. I'll be logging my drive also.

On to a small issue with cooling. My car was getting a lil hot for my taste due to the big *** turbo living under hood. The car was getting to around 210 to 215 around the small stop and go circuit I normally drive around when testing my car out. So I went out and found some 40 below coolant additive. 24.99 for a can.....I bought two just in case. I ended up using only one....so far Drained the radiator, mixed the 40 below stuff with a gallon of water and poured it into the radiator. Let the car get up to operating temp and took her out for a good run to the 101 trick racing gas pump.
Temp got as high as 205 in stop and go, but it settles at 190-195 once you get into open traffic. So I'm happy so far. We'll see how it does on tomorrows trip. So far i'm liking this 40 below stuff.

J
Old 06-02-2005, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Night and day right there. Can't wait to hear the drive by.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

That still sounds awesome even with the exhaust. Lets see some street action with the pedal depressed!!!! hehehe

Andy
Old 06-02-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Jer what thermostat you using???? ill have to wait till i get to the house soi can watch the vids...
Kyle
Old 06-02-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds DAMN good with the exhaust on!!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds GOOD bro!
Old 06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Guys
Kyle, I forgot to answer one of your questions....I'm using a set of FAL-240 dual 12 inch fans...got em from jegs.

I think I'm running a 180 thermo? I did the thermo mod WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY back in the day...I frankly can't remember what I have in there. I'm pretty sure its a 180?

Well here it is fellas a small 3 meg clip of some spool up action.....SO those initiated with running turbos on their cars....does it spool pretty good? I have two stop light roll ons, one was pretty brisk...bout up to 50-60 and the other was going under a bridge. Last one was me pulling into the parking lot.

http://home.comcast.net/~jsbird1998/turbocruise2.mp4

RIGHT CLICK DRILL..... IT'LL SAVE AS turbocruise2.mp4.txt, don't know why it does that, but just rename the file turbocruise2.mp4 and you are good to go...3 megs

I wanted to keep my foot in it a lil longer but I found out why my car has a mysterious stumble when it first sees boost....my fuel pressure drops to 19psi when boost hits and the car goes into KR(5 degs) So thats why I got out of it getting on the freeway and why I don't have any exciting footage yet. I know why its dropping and I have a fix coming in the mail.

On a side note, a few logging details from my HP tuners log

Coolant going to work at 6:15am....192-195, same coming home at 2:45pm
IAT's 72 degs rising to 78 under small loads of boost, quickly dropping back down to 72 degs. On the way home 85 rising up to 96 under small loads of boost(5-7psi) and quickly dropping back down to 85 degs. Outside temp was 81 degs on the way home.

OH YEAH smacked my cross over pipe already.....passenger side. Some midget *** in a 4x4 dually turbo diesel ford....yeah you know the type, small guy huge truck...was riding my bumper out of the neighborhood so I goosed it over a speed bump.....well I thought I was mostly clear of it, nope banged the passenger side crossover pipe and ripped my badass copper thermal wrap in two sections I'm still waiting for his midget *** to come home

J
Old 06-02-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmmm that sucks bro...... i take speed bumps slow as ****...no oen better ride my *** cause ill slam on the brakes in the middle of the freeway if someone riding my *** let alone a speed bump...... in Texas doesnt matter what happens the person who rearends you is at fault.
So whats in the mail to fix the fuel problem.??
Kyle
Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey they like to be called small people. I wonder if we can make some kind of skid plate for that crossover pipe?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh man I can't wait to get home and start my install. Yeah, what is in the mail? New fuel pump? Or one of those votage boosters? Would anyone recomend going with a 160* thermostat over a 180*? Just curious guys, thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kyle, its my stupid fault for taking that route, I never go that way and today I did to see if it would clear the extra huge speed bumps on the road that leads out of my 'hood......damn that dude, he was no where to be seen after work today, I'll be waiting for him in the morning If I would've hit the brakes my laptop would be part of the dash right now as well as my inverter box....damn HP tuners for not having black box logging I need to do brake checks on turbo diesel midgets

Pat,
I checked the crossover, it skidded over the bump just fine, and cleanly ripped the thermal wrap, no dents at all. All it took was two well placed hose clamps to fix it right up, looks semi ghetto but it'll do until I get some more wrap for that pipe.

As for whats in the mail, its just a piece of hi pressure fuel line for intank use, I've been using the other FI hose...which bloats up and deteriorates(sp?) in a few weeks inside the tank. Its where my pressure loss is happening....hopefully

Twin GSS340's and hardware will be heading my way shortly too, i'll be doing a twin intank pump set up. Thanks KP for sending me that link, you saved me some $$.

Dame...I think I'll be trying the 160 just to see what happens? Does anyone have a reason not to use a 160 thermo? I need to know too.
J
Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think as long as you set the cooling fans to come on at 160* everything should work out fine.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fan cools the radiator and the radiator cools the motor...... i would think a 160 will help..... im going to use one....... i have the stocker in there and with the ATI kit i never got over 185 with the single fan and hot S. Texas weather..... we will see now...
Kyle

Quick Reply: Add me to the list of TURBOCHARGED 4th gen F-bodies