Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

CryO²™ - INTERCOOLER SPRAYER

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CryO²™ - INTERCOOLER SPRAYER

Would this benefit NA cars by spraying the front of the radiator to keep it cool, especially with high CR engines?

Would it cause any tube damage from the big difference in temperatures, inside/outside?

Anyone tried it?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it wouldnt benefit it

think thats just made for cooling intercoolers where youll see some HP increase
Old 06-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Banned

I noticed when I spray water, using 2.0 liter manual spray can, it drops the temperature between races with engine running.

So, will a similar setup spraying water instead be helpful? Ice could be added to the can too.

Any similar water sprayer in the market for intercooler or radiators?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

Main utility for that sprayer is for front-mount intercoolers... decreasing IATs result and there's a surprising amount of power that can be gained (from what I've read about a couple of blown G35s/350Zs that use them). I think one of the G35s went at least 50 rwhp (peak) better when dyno'ed using the spray cooling on an FMIC.

I think most muscle guys are just gonna say: why not spray it INSIDE your NA intake and get classic nitrous benefits?

I would also worry a bit about the effects of nitrous spray on the radiator/intercooler; whether the temps might cause metal fatigue? Don't know if that's a realistic worry or not.

As for spraying water, doesn't the track have a problem with any sort of water spray? Even air conditioner condensation?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by RW99
As for spraying water, doesn't the track have a problem with any sort of water spray? Even air conditioner condensation?
Those were my exact thoughts.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I ruin the end of films...

If I saw a guy spraying water on his intercooler/radiator in front of me in the lanes, I'd get out and choke a bitch.

You'll see no gains from hosing the radiator. I'm not entirely convinced you'll see a lot from hosing the intercooler since the intake temps don't get hot until you start making a lot of boost (as in when you're already going 60mph).
Old 06-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tim @ EADPerformance

Those were my exact thoughts.
Who mentioned the track in here?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mongse
If I saw a guy spraying water on his intercooler/radiator in front of me in the lanes, I'd get out and choke a bitch.

You'll see no gains from hosing the radiator. I'm not entirely convinced you'll see a lot from hosing the intercooler since the intake temps don't get hot until you start making a lot of boost (as in when you're already going 60mph).
Not talking about intercooler. I mean the radiator. If the water temperature gets very high and you spray water in front of the raditor with good cooling fans while idle, water temperature will go down.

I've tried it, not on track. Come on..
Old 06-10-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

I pretty sure the WRX STI comes stock with an intercooler sprayer that sprays water or alcohol onto the intercooler.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Wink

Right, my bad.

It's a perfect solution for your rally car.

Spray away!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

...."Run for your lives, that Sprayer has gone MAD!! It's foaming at the hood scoop!!!"
Old 06-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by black_yukon
I pretty sure the WRX STI comes stock with an intercooler sprayer that sprays water or alcohol onto the intercooler.
Yes. They use the heat transfer capability of water to cool intake air.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Waste of time, effort, and money.

Try a little nitrous into your intake if you're looking too cool things down a bit.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

I was actually pondering the idea of rerouting my rear window sprayers to shoot my intercooler. Haven't gotten around to actually doing it though.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
no it wouldnt benefit it

think thats just made for cooling intercoolers where youll see some HP increase
If you dont think it would help, here is a little test for you to try at home. GO buy some bottled water, let it sit out all day so it is nice and warm, start your car and let it idle until it gets up to temp and poor the water on the front of your radiator and watch the temp drop.

That is with water, the C02 will absolutely drop the temp of the radiator coolant.

The bad side is if you spay it and it gets in the intake, power will suffer. A trick some use at the track is to have a nozzel on the side and spray when going down the road, because once it goes into the intake of the other car they will loose power.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
The bad side is if you spay it and it gets in the intake, power will suffer. A trick some use at the track is to have a nozzel on the side and spray when going down the road, because once it goes into the intake of the other car they will loose power.
BWAHAHAHA!!!!

You can't honestly believe that would do anything do you LOLOL!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A trick some use at the track is to have a nozzel on the side and spray when going down the road, because once it goes into the intake of the other car they will loose power.
Holy ****!

Please tell me that you left a computer at your buddy's house signed in with your user name and he's posting just to make you look stupid.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Banned

Talking

Originally Posted by unit213
Holy ****!

Please tell me that you left a computer at your buddy's house signed in with your user name and he's posting just to make you look stupid.

What do you know about heat transfer.

Why on earth would they use water in a radiator.

I guess they should use Chocolate then.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluecamaroz28
What do you know about heat transfer.

Why on earth would they use water in a radiator.

I guess they should use Chocolate then.
I use water in the radiator with purple Ice and redline water wetter. The heat transfer seems to work better.

If you are refering to pooring water on the radiator, try it and you will see what I am talking about.

As far as the Co2 in the intake, if you dont believe me thats fine. If you would prefer to think I am stupid that is fine also, plum your line into your intake and lets talk afterwards. power will drop off. A guess you would have to have an understanding of how the chemicals work to understand what I am talking about.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I use water in the radiator with purple Ice and redline water wetter. The heat transfer seems to work better.

If you are refering to pooring water on the radiator, try it and you will see what I am talking about.

As far as the Co2 in the intake, if you dont believe me thats fine. If you would prefer to think I am stupid that is fine also, plum your line into your intake and lets talk afterwards. power will drop off. A guess you would have to have an understanding of how the chemicals work to understand what I am talking about.
He is talking about your comment about a nozzle shooting Co2 across a lane and causing another car to lose power LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: CryO²™ - INTERCOOLER SPRAYER