Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

tti oil pan alternative tap location! quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 06:39 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tti oil pan alternative tap location! quick!!!

hey was doing some searching on tapping the oil pan while on the car and ran into a couple of these.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=tti+pan

so should i take it that this is a better place to tap the pan? also, i am doing it while its on the car. my plan is to grease the bit in hopes of getting as many shavings as possible. then drain the oil. pour some craptastic 1 dollar a bottle oil in. let that sit overnight so my magnetic drain plug does its work. then drain that and put in the good stuff (mobile 1).

how does that sound? i dont have the capabilities of pulling the engine and pulling the pan is pretty much in the same seat as pull the engine.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:52 PM
NKAWTG...N

t t t

so can i not really get to the side of the pan while the engine is not pulled?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Don't have to pull the motor, just drop the k-member and jack the motor up a little. Trying to tap on the car is a really bad idea and if you do screw up you'll be pulling the motor anyways. Just my .02 though!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:04 AM
NKAWTG...N

how do u jack the motor up? usually u jack it up with the jack on the oil pan...so where else can i put it?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would have to unbolt the motor mounts to jack up the engine
Old 06-10-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

a 2X4 over the bellhousing works just as well as the oil pan, and after you unbolt the k-member you might need a bar to pry it down low enough to drop the oil pan without hitting the transmission.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by stoleit
how do u jack the motor up? usually u jack it up with the jack on the oil pan...so where else can i put it?

U serious ???

Never jack a car up there. You should jack the car up using a secure part of the chassis or suspension crossmember. Never use the oilpan.

You can tap anywhere, as long as it returns above the level of the oil in the pan.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:45 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Some people talked about using the low oil sensor position, don't know if that makes sense or not or if it even works.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

stevieturbo, i have a few comments

first of all your not going to be able to jack the motor up by useing any part of the frame of your car.

also- if you displace the pressure put on the oil pan over a large area (ie: using a 2x4) you will be fine. the idea is to raise the engine enough to get the oil pan off, without stressing it too much.

on a side note, how do you like your 8.8? i might be able to get one but not many people have them, you can pm me if you like
Old 06-10-2005, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Ahhhh. I misread.... I thought u meant u were jacking the entire car up there !! lol

Sorry..

Last edited by stevieturbo; 06-10-2005 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling..
Old 06-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Yes, you'll still have to jack up the motor about as high as possible. Drop the k-member down till the bolts are almost out. Of course you'll have to unbolt the motor mounts first. All in all, not a fun job but worth not having to pull a motor later down the road.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 PM
NKAWTG...N

ah right now my biggest problem is getting a 37/64 bit. this thing is impossible to find. i called every hardwear store here and none of them had it. so had to order it today online, so probably wont get here til monday
Old 06-10-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ah right now my biggest problem is getting a 37/64 bit. this thing is impossible to find. i called every hardwear store here and none of them had it. so had to order it today online, so probably wont get here til monday

HERE WHAT I DID AND IT WORKS AWSOME.

i got a universal bit the cone one that drills fron like 1/8 to 3/8 you know what i mean.

drilled it out just a tad bigger then the fitting wen to home depot got a nut and a locking washer that fist the treads of the 90.

added a washer to the out side area and added silicon and the placed the lock washer and the nut on the inside of teh pan .. tightined it down.. made sure it sealed real good then i muggie welded the threads. this is not something needed...

this worked awsome...or you can do a setup like zangle with an fitting and steel liine/

take your time dont be in a rush and do it right

and your not gonna like to hear this but i have done 2 of these one on my ta and a cusomers comaro....pull the pan off and drill it

me personally i wouldent never drill the pan with it hanging from the car... i just dont feel you can get all those metal shavings out..i just feel better about doing it that way

Quick Reply: tti oil pan alternative tap location! quick!!!