Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!

Hey everyone i finally got someone to help me drop my mock up motor in my z28 and install my CAS twin turbo kit. Well the pro fab k member was not so nice when trying to bolt up the motor mounts but, with the help of pry bar, we got the empty LS6 block in place. The drivers side manifold and turbo slid in beautifully from the bottom with only 1 problem, i put the motor mount bolts in wrong! DOH! There wasn't enough time to rectify this so i just backed the nut off of the motor mount bolt and hammered it out a bit so i could get the manifold and turbo in place. I had to cut off a small chunk of aluminum in towards the rear of the block to clearance the downpipe flange on the passenger side. The Passenger side turbo wouldn't even fit through the k-member when it was attached to the manifold. I disconnected the turbo from the manifold then the turbo went in just fine. I connected the turbo and manifold for the passenger side but i couldn't bolt it to the head because of the backwards motor mount bolt. I plan to go back tomorrow to correct the motor mount bolt issue and i will get some pics of the kit mounted in the car if i get it on there. These turbos barely fit, actually the passenger turbine housing rests on the solenoid. Does anyone make a smaller starter? The kit does look pretty cool though, i am glad i am putting in soo much time, effort, and money into this project. Next step is beefing up the tranny, getting a clutch, paying off the heads, shipping long block back to me, make a nice little fuel setup(twin in tank, FPR, low Z inj, high flow rails, lines), and then the rest of the electronics (MS + wideband). Hopefully i will be on the road by the end of October and tuned by the end of november. I leave for Japan in late January so I do have a bit of a time crunch.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!-gregtt1.jpg   Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!-gregtt2.jpg   Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!-gregtt3.jpg   Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!-gregtt4.jpg   Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!-gregtt5.jpg  

Last edited by disassembled; 07-01-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's the last pic for today: this the part of the block i had to cut off for clearancing the passenger side downpipe.
Attached Thumbnails Twin turbo update...Cas kit is a B*tch to install!!!-gregtt6.jpg  
Old 07-01-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

looks great man. keep us posted.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What size turbo's are you using?????

Here's a couple pics of my CAS on Jammer's motor:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...80_32_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...80_31_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...80_64_full.jpg
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLk01SS

I am using the same size turbos as you. I have TO4E housings with a 60mm (you have 56mm) but the housing is the same size. The exhaust should be the same too. Limit engineering built our turbos. Have you mocked up your stuff yet? If not i recommend doing so. Maybe my kit wasn't made well and that's why the turbine is touching the starter. I hope to have some more pics of the kit installed on the car tomorrow if i can fix the motor mount bolts.

Greg
Old 07-01-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by red90cobra
looks great man. keep us posted.
Thanks. I definitely will!

Greg
Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

nice picutures. keep us updated too. im going to be going through this in about a month with my CAS kit.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goodwork
is this the kit you built? or bought?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
goodwork
is this the kit you built? or bought?

I bought this kit from Ed (firebird69) which he bought from Cartek who bought it from CAS. The kit was never complete and thus never ran. I am having some work done to the manifolds, downpipes, wastegate piping, and adding charge piping. I like the idea of getting decent power out of the smaller turbos and the retention of all accesories. I just hope to make this kit more reliable with the extra time and money.

Oh and i don't have any skills or means to fab up a turbo kit. If i could i would definitely try as i enjoy learning and trying new things.

Greg
Old 07-01-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
nice picutures. keep us updated too. im going to be going through this in about a month with my CAS kit.

Thanks for the comment. I am actually going to try and modify my wastegate setup to be the same as yours. I offered OSUHunter a straight trade of my new manfolds and downpipes for the ones in the kit he was selling but he never responded. Your kit will probably fit much better since you have the original turbos (i had them when i bought the kit but quickly upgraded to the biggest i could run). Post some pics of your progress when it comes time! I will definitely post some of how the install goes for the mock up. Oh and i have some 6.0 heads for sale for a decent price if you're interested.

Greg
Old 07-01-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

greg pm'd you
Old 07-02-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dis,

a few words..
Its a bitch to install. One of the hardest things is to get the 4th flange bolt in (turbo to manifold...Noyzee sometimes left the last one off i beleive. Also, the downpip0es will bolt up with some patience and the right set of swivel socked and a 1/4 drive with wobble extensions. You can not add the passenger side turbo until the manifold is in place, then jimmy and slide from below and jack motor up as needed. We had to cut a hole in the frame/fenderwell for the passenger side TO4E housing to fit, it was like a 1" wide hole, 2.5" tall. I also, though not seen in the mock up picture above, trimmed my turbo inlet down an inch. I had a machine shop trip the inlet portion of the housing so it wasnt so close to the motor mount... The BMR k-member with the built in mount bracket was a saver. A solid mount from madman or spohn would make a world of difference if you dont have brackets on your k-member.
Expect this to take a long day ..or two, due to frusterations. I think it took me 12 hours to remove it carefully... but I lock-tighted the bolt on the way in... as Im sure was done when I had the kit installed the first time.
If you didnt hog out the waste gate hole in the turbo, and dont bypass the turbo for your waste gas, you will have problems making way to much boost. The intergal hole just wont off enough gas, as my kit was designed, and with the turbos hogged by W2W, my minimum boost was 8lbs...was 22lbs before the hole was hogged out...so I suggest the bypass, but not much room for that.
As far as power, I had a forged motor, and on 8lbs..creeping to about 17lbs. on pump gas, I was fender to fender with a C5 thar runs 10.4's... but I had 4 people in my heavy convertabler and a trunk full of camping gear. Have the video/audio of that too!

Keep your patience, if you have to4e then cut the fender well/frame. My turbo rested on my starter selonoid too, I managed to slip in some heat tape for kicks...but guess what..that was NEVER a problem as we suspected... if so, we would have relocated the coil or added a angled spacer to the turbo flange and went from there. Dont sweat that..pry in some form of insulation so you can sleep better I guess.

Id consider fabbing the waste gate set-up completely..perhaps not dumping it back into the main downpipe if you going max effort, cause your downpipe isnt stepped. Probably doent mean too much, but remember what i said about hogging those turbos...The waste hole was at least 1.2-1.5" in diameter. We had to take the turbos off to have them hogged...thats sucked, cause we thought the car was done. Dont make the same mistake...call Kurt at W2W if you need details, remind him he did mine.

The next challenge is the plugs... add them as soon as you have the chance, before all is together. Changing the plugs is an adventure, but with some home made/ persoanlized tools, can be done in a little while. Noyzee cut some wrech or socket or something and made it easier, i just got the hard ones 1/64th at a time.

Cas is all about patience, but once its on, it sounds great, is low maintenance (no oil pumps) and very very stealth want it to be. I loved the kit. I'd buy it back if it came with installation.
Patience will be tested, keep us up to date.

Last edited by Jammer; 07-02-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

good info jammer. do you install the plugs before or after the headers and turbos go on?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Before, since access to all the plugs after the manifolds are on is quite difficult.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Jammer thanks for the info. I am bolting everything up so i can tow the car up to Tucson for some mods to the kit. I want a remote wastegate system installed, downpipes expanded, and manifolds modified with provisions for movement. He is also going to cut the frame where the compressor housing sits and do a few other things. We'll see how things go. I can get the turbo in on the passenger side from underneath but my motor mount bolt is in wrong so i can't even fit it all the way in. I have the PA k member with built in motor mounts and i am using prothane poly mounts.

When i get my longblock, clutch, and built tranny in my possesion i plan to make the install easier by unbolting the k member and dropping the car on top of everything. I learned a lot about the kit yesterday so it was good i went out and fiddled with it before i was ready to install. I overslept today because i was beat from being out in the sun playing with my car but hopefully i will get a chance to play with it a little to fix my bolts.

Greg
Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Frame notching...what fun!!!!!

Well i finally got a chance to see what clearancing was needed for the passenger turbo. There's a little protusion that was blocking the compressor housing so i tried to hammer it closer to the frame. I put everything back on and guess what?? NOPE!!!!! Not enough. So i had to do what i really didn't want to and that was to cut the protusion off. Do i have a dremel? NO! Let's see what could i use? A haxsaw? Yep got one of those! So i start hacking and hacking and hacking. I got about 3/4 of the way when the haxsaw breaks. Awesome! So i run out to Wally world thinking of just getting another haxsaw but convinced myself it probably wouldn't work so i just picked up a dremel 400 series with the flexible extension, reinforced cutting wheels, and a couple of other bits i might need. Well, now i am more prepared but i forgot a very important piece of equipment: eye protection! DOH! Being the master that i am i just position the cutting wheel, close my eyes, turn my head, and began to cut. It worked, suprisingly. WOOHOO! I then put the passenger manifold and turbo on. It fits, although very tightly, it indeed fits. I have to go back tomorrow and notch a little into the frame. I went out and bought some safety goggles so i will be able to make some accurate cuts.

On a side note the dremel is awesome i should have gotten one these a long time ago. It was $80 and comes with a ton of accessories. It would have saved me a lot of time instead of trying to saw the protusion off. I will get some pics tomorrow when I install everything. I just hope i finish tomorrow so i can tow the car up to Tucson for some fab stuff.

Greg
Old 07-04-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck greg, and yes , it does fit! Glad you "know " that now. One reson I respected APE is Mike went through the install initally and didnt bitch too much. Do yourself a favor, invest the right tools whenever possible and get solid quotes on work to be performed. Keep me updated, I surely miss my old kit, and surprising those around me...my car sounded almost stock untill I was well into boost , then it sounded like a Jet. Let me know if your interested in my custom full CAS exhaust. (Dual 3", to a 4" over the axel, then back to dual 3" with stock looking 3" SS tips. BTW, has 4 bullett mufflers, one before each tip and one after each downpipe.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Regular

disassembeled. I passed your offer along to 30 T/A a long time ago. I also took pictures for you. So I responded!!! IT is all in 30th's T/a hands, Man looks like a sweet setup, I wanna see some street videos of this kit.

Looks like My SS meint be sold. Turns out i am goign to be driving to much this next couple of years. So I guess a 06 GTO will be in order. Anyways best of luck finishing the install, Keep getting us pictures!!!

Thanks
Nick
Old 07-04-2005, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by osuhunter07
disassembeled. I passed your offer along to 30 T/A a long time ago. I also took pictures for you. So I responded!!! IT is all in 30th's T/a hands, Man looks like a sweet setup, I wanna see some street videos of this kit.

Looks like My SS meint be sold. Turns out i am goign to be driving to much this next couple of years. So I guess a 06 GTO will be in order. Anyways best of luck finishing the install, Keep getting us pictures!!!

Thanks
Nick

Ok sorry my bad. Yes, i received your pics. Thank you. I am sure the fabber will appreciate them. I am probably better off having this stuff done to my kit since i have have the bigger compressor housings. The street vids are probably a ways away unless i get a loan just to finish everything up sooner (very much considering this). An 06' GTO would be sweet, especially with the twin turbo kit that is in development for it Thanks for the positive encouragement.

Greg
Old 07-04-2005, 04:47 AM
Teching In

Well I think I've fallen in love, this is the type of kit I have been looking for . This is the first time I have actually see pictures of the basic setup of the kit and I must say I like what I see, minus the PITA installation issues. I had been thinking the other day about how to setup a twin kit with the turbos bolted to the exhaust manifolds, high enough for a reliable gravity drain and having the exhaust housing rearward facing for an unobstructive downpipe. I proceed to check out these pics and was like whoa! Anyone want to fab me some headers like that, heh ... Anyways looks like it should be a killer setup once completed and goodluck with the install.