Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

304 ss compared to 321 ss ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 304 ss compared to 321 ss ??

i hear 321 is the shizznit for turbo headers..

but i notice kist like the turbltech race kit usees 304? and alot of the other turbo builders use 304.. all ive herd about 321 is just from what people say..

but i notice the price on j bends is almost double....for j bends....

and what size thickness i look at the big dogs harlen and i see he is running and has run 16 guage...

but then i herd people say use 14 guage for headers???

and what size diameter pipes to use...im learning about kits by looking from turbotech and ptk and turbo people but i didnt see anywhere where it mentioned diameter size of header pipes??
Old 09-06-2005, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

304 is more prone to intergranular corrosion (and therefore cracking), especially at weld seams and other stress risers. 321 is better than 304 from a metallurgical stand point, but nothing will help you more than a solid design...actual build material should be secondary to that.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by braap
304 is more prone to intergranular corrosion (and therefore cracking), especially at weld seams and other stress risers. 321 is better than 304 from a metallurgical stand point, but nothing will help you more than a solid design...actual build material should be secondary to that.

thanks humm what to order......

solid design i got hell i even got it all laid out on a 3d computer animated drawing!

i just need to know what tubeing size to use for the headers? 1 7/8?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also whats your opinion on useing just mild steel and jet hot coating everything]
Old 09-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use jet hot ceramic the coating will flake off. It is only good to around 1400' EGT. There are other coatings that will help keep the heat indide the pipe , just none that are shiny.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whistler
If you use jet hot ceramic the coating will flake off. It is only good to around 1400' EGT. There are other coatings that will help keep the heat indide the pipe , just none that are shiny.

most ceramic coatings wont flake off, any quailty ones.
they make this stuff specifically for turbo pipes and wont have any problems with doing mild coated.
though 321 would probably be your best bet.
most street setups use mild coated. and all those kits like turbotech have had cracks (havent heard about there race kit though as its a better design)
Old 09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smokinHawk

they make this stuff specifically for turbo pipes and wont have any problems with doing mild coated.
most street setups use mild coated. and all those kits like turbotech have had cracks (havent heard about there race kit though as its a better design)
so making a kit out of mild steel would be ok....i got a hell of a deal from a fabicator for a new design useing mild steel.

he said he will not waste his time on 304

he is checking on 321 SS for me...but from what i looked at burns stainless 321 is pretty pricy..
Old 09-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Originally Posted by smokinHawk

The coatings made specifically for turbo pipes are available in a satin black, satin white , grey or blue.
Jet Hot and other polished ceramics begin to discolor at 1400' and break their bond with the metal when exposed to the 1800' + temps that a H.O. turbo exhaust creates.
Not to say you can't use the silver stuff, plenty of people do, but it doesn't last if you push the car hard.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the silver stuff on my last kit, it did loose some of its luster after a year, but it did not chip or break off.
it will discolor some yes, break off, no.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The coatings made specifically for turbo pipes are available in a satin black, satin white , grey or blue.
Jet Hot and other polished ceramics begin to discolor at 1400' and break their bond with the metal when exposed to the 1800' + temps that a H.O. turbo exhaust creates.
Not to say you can't use the silver stuff, plenty of people do, but it doesn't last if you push the car hard.

off track guys... i could care less about the coatings hell ill spary pain them black im not building no show car..

i just wanna know if i can use mild steel for the hot parts!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Ever end up producing the C5 taillight panels?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Nah, the company I sub'd to produce them were a bunch of burnouts and never gave me much.

Mild steel will work fine for your hot parts.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nah, the company I sub'd to produce them were a bunch of burnouts and never gave me much.

Mild steel will work fine for your hot parts.

awomse thanks!

Quick Reply: 304 ss compared to 321 ss ??