Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I know this has been discussed a lot but what is the best PCV method?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this has been discussed a lot but what is the best PCV method?

Hey all i am working out the only detail i never really put any thought into for my twin turbo setup. I have seen soo many posts on how to prevent boost from getting into the crankcase but what is a proven method? I am running an iron block with LS6 valley and stock 99 LS1 valvecovers. It seems the general concensus is to get a breather for the passenger valve cover but what about catch cans? I saw some nice oil/air seperators but i don't know what would be the best in my case. I was interested in the catch can to air inlet for drawing out pressure from the block but there are so many mixed reviews i don't want to try it and possibly ruin some components. Here are some links to what i've read:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=catch+can

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/194091-what-crankcase-evac-breather-setups-you-running.html

Here are some products i am considering buying:

http://www.spmotorsports.com/ATCmisc...ators_oil.html

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...63&prmenbr=361

Basically i would like some help as what to do with all of the vaccuum connections that i have and how it should be hooked up. Thanks!

Greg
Old 09-26-2005, 06:17 PM
8 Second Club

Vacuum pumps are always nice.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent really thought about it yet.........
Old 10-02-2005, 11:54 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great question, and a good compilation of threads concerning the PCV system and how to set it up on our FI cars. I am waiting on my 8 rib kit to come here in the mail, but it should be here tomorrow, and I hope to crank it up for the first time this week- reborn blown The PCV is the only thing I have not addressed yet, but glad I came upon this thread for some input. I only have 1 question tho:

For those of you running dual hoses (1 from each side): On the p/s, which location are you running the line from? The one in the back that attaches to the line going to the d/s? Or the one up front that goes into the throttlebody?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I called speed inc this week to order some parts and i asked them what they think. The salesman told me on their cars all they use are breathers on both valve covers and they block off all of the PCV ports. So i bought the Metco breather for the pass. VC and i bought a tiny K+N filter for the driver's side. As a teaser i also bought 2 check valves from mcmaster in case i am not happy with this setup. I guess i will find out if this is going to be or not.

Greg
Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

how did you put a breayher in the valve cover on the driver side?? will this work for sts???
Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I run a metco breather in the pass side oil fill, small K&N clamp on beather on the LH side valve cover. The valve cover and TB fresh air hose is blocked off. Then I have an LS6 valley cover with the stock PCV valve going to an AMW catch can, then to a mcmaster check valve, then into the intake manifold behind the TB.

Works fine for me, the PCV is still there for cruising/idling, the AMW catch can gets 99% of the oil before it can go the intake and at WOT the breathers wotk just fine on a well sealed motor, never had a drop of oil off of them. For a big boost race motor I would have some type of vacuum pump but this works for my setup.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by disassembled
I called speed inc this week to order some parts and i asked them what they think. The salesman told me on their cars all they use are breathers on both valve covers and they block off all of the PCV ports. So i bought the Metco breather for the pass. VC and i bought a tiny K+N filter for the driver's side. As a teaser i also bought 2 check valves from mcmaster in case i am not happy with this setup. I guess i will find out if this is going to be or not.

Greg

Now get the LS6 valley cover and run it to a non breather can with a hose on the other side of the can going to the inlet of your turbo/supercharger for vaccum under boost. Cap off the nipple on the intake. This is a great method, I use it and adopted it from Mighty Mouse. I used to have trouble draing oil back into the block from the turbo and now its fine thats how I know this mod eliminates pressure in the case.

KP, same time post similar method.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,302 Posts

why do you need an LS6 valley cover?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stupid Question

Do the OEM LS6 intake manifolds cars (01-02 f-body's) already have the LS6 valley cover?
Old 10-03-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS6 valley cover has a 3/8 tube coming out of the front under the T/B. On a Z06 there is a connector to the intake nipple with a check valve. It is a great place to pull crankcase pressure from. I would not however use the Z06 connector as the check valve will not hold back boost, it just wasnt made for that.

Only Z06 have this valley cover but they are pretty cheap so no biggie.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I already have the LS6 valley cover but the person at Speed Inc said it would not be a good idea to have the breathers and the PCV on at the same time. His reasoning was this: i don't want to have unmetered air being sucked in from the PCV since i have the breathers on. If i need to i will put the PCV back on with the check valves that i ordered.

Greg
Old 10-03-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats if you plumb to the intake, I dont use the intake for a vaccum source I use the turbo inlet which is before the MAF (way before it)
Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

on the STS kit there is a silanoid that blocks the PCV in boost and lets it vent from a little filter that attaches next to it on the line.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:32 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by disassembled
I already have the LS6 valley cover but the person at Speed Inc said it would not be a good idea to have the breathers and the PCV on at the same time. His reasoning was this: i don't want to have unmetered air being sucked in from the PCV since i have the breathers on. If i need to i will put the PCV back on with the check valves that i ordered.

Greg
True having a PCV and breathers will affect idle and part throttle slightly with a MAF but can easily be tuned out. If you are running mafless its a non issue.

Unlike some things there is more then one way to do a working PCV setup. The vent into the turbo inlet works but at idle/cruise you will have some positive crankcase pressure. If the rings are sealed well it really wont be a big deal but if it isnt things will get a little stinky under the hood. OTOH if you are running a filter on the turbo it will get some vacuumbetween the filter and inlet at high boost and thats not a bad thing either.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

not to sidetrack too much, but on an LT1 what do you think about running two breathers on the valve covers and the stock pcv system?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

I run a Metco style breather on one side and the small KN filter on the driver's side.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

12568002 Is this the correct part number for the LS6 valley cover?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ignore but theres helpfull info here
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
11 Second Truck Club

On the driver's side...did you guys use a plastic "pcv" 90 and clamp a filter to it?