Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

People who have there incon kits please read

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People who have there incon kits please read

I am completing my kit on my own. Like redws6 99(gary) I have everything but the turbos. I was wondering, will the t35's support 800rwhp or more on a built 383 or larger displacement motor. I want to make sure that I can hit at least 800rwhp. Do you think I should buy the 35's or just go with the 37's. I remember a couple of ARE built cars, like a 409 twin turbo, a 360 twin turbo, and I think they also did someones car with a 383. I was just wondering what their cars dynoed, what turbos they were using(35's or 37's), how much boost they were running, and how much more potential was left with their setup. Lets say the 383 at 10 pounds on the 35's dynoed 600rwhp how much more is left in that setup before they would have to have to have they 37's, 700rwhp, 800rwhp? Any info you have would be great. Thanks, Chris Meier.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default Re: People who have there incon kits please read

Hmm 35mm impeller your looking at about 27 lbs/min of air per turbo. With a total of 54lbs that is good for about (bhp = 10.86 * lb/min)= ~587bhp. Now for 37mm impeller your looking in the neighborhood of 30lbs/min of air for 60 total, that would give you a hp of ~652 bhp.

BTW these are just rough estimates.....many thing will differ hp, also I'm ssuming a standard T-netics 35mm wheel. Some wheels exducers are different even though the inducer maybe 35mm. This is just to give you some idea...

Jose

<small>[ August 15, 2002, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: JZ 97 SS 1500 ]</small>
Old 08-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Here's my thoughts:

You probably will need the 37's for 800 hp. I don't have the maps, but I'm guessing that its too much power for the 35's to make comfortably. Again, a guess, someone else will know.

About the other cars that dynoed with high numbers, I know of 3 or 4 cars that were all in the 600 - 650 dynojet range. Some were higher displacement, some 35's, some 37's. It does not matter. Thats about all you will get with the intake.

Unless you address the intake, extra cubes, and bigger turbos are a waste of money. And even if you did the intake, I can't see the advantage in a larger displacement....compression ratio, head flow, turbo flow, and intake flow are all more important.

Watch y2khawk closely (I know I will). He has 8.5:1, 346 ci, 35's, and most important, a customised Holley intake. He should be hitting the street soon.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

yes displacement is very important, because when it comes to pushing the engine as far as it will go on pump gas the displacement will determine the amount of hp you can get from pump gas. therefore it will make a car easier to tune.
I think it is also very important to get your heads ported and polished and a new intake manifold.

porting the heads and getting a new intake, and better turbos are done only for one reason, to stuff more air into each cylinder on the intake stroke. Now as that air is compressed into an area 8.5 times smaller then the original displacement when the piston moves into firing position, the amount of air and fuel in there will determine how much hp you get and how likely detonation is, no matter how the air manages to get in. The more displacement you have the bigger that area of compressed air and fuel thus running the same amount of air in a smaller displacement cylinder would put the mixture under more pressure and would be more likely to pre detonate on yo azz.

There is no replacement for displacement and boost. This kind of thinking has lead the turbo mustangs to dominate the turbo world.
Old 08-16-2002, 01:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Red, a T35 from someone like turbonetics is a 35mm inducer wheel. That will flow only about 27lbs/min of air. Now the 2535 turbo your talking about is a total different animal and actually is a 51mm inducer, so its comparable to a 50 series turbonetic turbo. Now that turbo could do the job, but if your going to go that route, then I would suggest the 2835's through HKS, which can be had in either a 49mm, 51mm, or 53mm inducer, and the turbine side is a bit larger then the 2535's. The 2835's will flow enough air for ~900bhp or so.

Jose
Old 08-16-2002, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

"If you want to know, ask the Pro"

Look up PTE. They can tell you everything you need to know about getting your AIRFLOW REQUIREMENTS! Turbos have as much to do with the turbine housing/wheel as the compressor housing/wheel. Inducer, exducer diameters, heights, and bearing type (bush/ball) are all parts of the equation.

Bottom line... If you want to know the best equipment for your application, ask the ones that have constructed HUNDREDS, not just installed one or two.

S-

<small>[ August 16, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: SS00Blue ]</small>
Old 08-16-2002, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chris what do you have for exhuast housings. If they are Incons then you are going to be stuck with T28 sized flange. I could not recommend anything from HKS, they want $3000 for one gt2535, thats three times what they cost.

Any way Chris if you dont have turbo, housing, etc, dont waste your time with the expensive hard to get gt series. A gt2535 is really equivalent to a T04B compressor housing and T28 exhuast. The GT37 would be a T04E but will still mount to a T28 flange, but most likely would not have T28 exhuast housing.

Gary
Old 08-17-2002, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

JZ that compressor will support 40 lb/min but of course that is with a pretty high pressure ratio. Of course you also need to keep up on the exhuast side. The major problem with the gt2535 is that it uses a T28 size turbine housing, which is small. HKS uses a T3 size housing which causes less of a restriction.

Gary
Old 08-17-2002, 01:31 PM
Launching!

I am putting together the rest of my Incon kit too. Now I am wondering what my best choice would be. I have no turbos or exhaust housings, but I have the compressor housings. What do you guys think would be the best option. I am planning on stock displacement, and no more than 15psi through ported heads and intake. (9.2:1CR)

Thanks,
Jeff

<small>[ August 17, 2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: 99 WS6 ]</small>
Old 08-18-2002, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

red ws6 99, I don't get what you are saying. I don't have anything for the turbo's, housings, or anything. But, I thought that the gt series stuff was the only thing that would bolt up to the incon exhaust manifolds, unless I was missinformed. Please explain and also, if I can use a different turbo, housing, etc., please tell me what you would recomend me to use.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

TTT red ws6 99 please reply

Quick Reply: People who have there incon kits please read