Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E boost 2 problem STS

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E boost 2 problem STS

Ok so when we were all done with my install of my STS kit (keep in mind this is what I have)

STS kit GT-67 Upgrade turbo
upgraded pushrods
LS6 valve springs
LS6 oil pump
LS6 CAM
42# fuel injectors
Racetronics fuel pump
NGK TR-6
Methanol inhjection system
FMIC
E-boost 2 turbo controller

Ok so after all of this come the tune, We started the tune for my low boost setting. we got to 5.5 PSI for my low boost setting and figured that would be a mode we would program into the E-boost controller and I could run that allll day with out meth and still be fast as hell. but here is the problem. The boost will spike crazy!! we wanted it to only be set to 5.5 PSI but the boost controller would like allow boost up to like 8 PSI! we turned the sensivity down all the way so it was a little more stable but we are still getting boost spike up to like 6.5-7psi and the boost starts to fall off at about 4k RPM. is there something I need to like program into the boost controller or what? I have never used the E boost 2 and now I kinna wish that I never got it cause not even the tuner guy knows how to use it! So please give your input and if you know how to use the E boost 2 please either PM me or just reply to this. about the boost problem too we were using a jet dyno so maybe it could be a load problem? please give me your input
Old 10-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Coal Mining Director

What does the boost do with the controller off?. Wastegate only boost????
Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

ya check boost just off the gate first then go from there.
thats why i just got a cheap manual one easy to use and accurate,the eboost 2 seems to be giving alot of people problems.good luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you have your gain set to?
if it's like the eboost 1 there is a gain setting right after the boost setting.
if it is too high or higher than your desired boost pressure it will spike and then come back down.
if you have not already, go thru the eboost instructions. very helpfull
Old 10-14-2005, 11:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

The sensitivity has been adjusted down to prevent the spiking from what I remember. The main problem right now is not the spiking, but that the boost is falling off up top. I remember in the instructions it has some sort of RPM vs boost compensation to hold it up top when it normally starts to fall off but the controller didn't have the tach wire hooked up yet. Is this the preferred method for getting this controller to hold boost up top or is there something else that's missing?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

now that is the same thing I am seeing with my setup right now.

my boost reaches it's target level then falls off.

I have the eboost 1. So hopefully once one of us figures this out it will help the other.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

I think a lot of the problem we were having with the boost falling off is due to the lack of load with the STS kit after the torque hits its peak... on the street it was a pretty consistent number and didnt seem to fall off, but on an unloaded dynojet I dont think there is enough load to get the turbo going! We had this problem on our STS GTO as well... might have to go down the street and use the loaded dyno to get an accurate reading
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

all my testing is on the street.....
Old 10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Restricted User

I heard the E-boost controler is junk, my friend had it on his STS truck, said it was a PoS, he could never get the boost he wanted and yes ke had spiking problems.

he then sold it and got a inovative boost control, it is like $600-$700 but he said it works perfect,
Also the greddy boost controler which is like $425 works very good too. But i never used it , i just heard on here that it works good,

I think it is the E-boost controler that is giving you big problems, the inovative boost controler , vents pressure or adds presure againg the wastgate to balance and give u the boost you want, my friend loves his , and has no problems with it.
with the e-boost controler he could not get the boost he wanted and had spiking problems too
hopes this helps you.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

hmmmmm I hope thats not the case, so many people raved about them. it was far from inexpensive too.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
I heard the E-boost controler is junk, my friend had it on his STS truck, said it was a PoS, he could never get the boost he wanted and yes ke had spiking problems.

he then sold it and got a inovative boost control, it is like $600-$700 but he said it works perfect,
Also the greddy boost controler which is like $425 works very good too. But i never used it , i just heard on here that it works good,

I think it is the E-boost controler that is giving you big problems, the inovative boost controler , vents pressure or adds presure againg the wastgate to balance and give u the boost you want, my friend loves his , and has no problems with it.
with the e-boost controler he could not get the boost he wanted and had spiking problems too
hopes this helps you.

I know of one guy that got a bad unit... maybe there were 2, cause I haven't seen another post of this nature in my back-reading....
Old 10-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Restricted User

this is the E-boost controler that is a 2 1/6 round unit that can fit into a F-body gauge pod holder?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Coal Mining Director

I'm happy with mine. MM is also. Just takes time to learn how to program them.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lawnboy

hopes this helps you.

I haven't had any issues with mine. There are a couple of different ways to plumb your waste gate with the eboost. Which way do you have it set up now? The low boost setup? Try changing it.. IMHO the eboost is a nice tool Lawnboy I'd say your pal didn't know how to hook it up or how to use it.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

I may have found my issue. big ol exhaust leak at the Y pipe. Will fix that, check for others and report back.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:37 AM
Restricted User

ok i heard its junk and the inovative works the best
Old 10-15-2005, 08:31 AM
Coal Mining Director

Blackbird, after you fix the leak, make a run with the controller off and post it...that will greatly help you set the controller.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed my eboost2 and was browsing through the directions and remember reading it recommends the boost controller just to see what minimum boost your wastegate opens at. I woud definitely recommend reading the directions and going step by step so as not to point fingers at 1 thing. I have not run my car yet so i can't say whether the eboost2 works as advertised or not but given the amount of positive feedback verse the negative i feel pretty confident it will work just fine. If i remember i will bring the directions home so i can type in what the manual says.

Greg
Old 10-16-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

well I fixed all my leaks today.
still does the same thing.
it will spike up just above my preset boost level. for example if I set it for 6psi I will see 6.x then it drops right down to the 5's which is what it does spring only. it's like it decides to quit doing anything after target boost is reached instead of holding it like it should. tried cranking up the sensitivity and all that does it make it miss the target boost by more (spike higher)
Old 10-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Coal Mining Director

My settings for 13psi:

Boost = 47
Sens = 20
Overboost = 16
Gate = 2.9

What's your overboost and gate setting?

Quick Reply: E boost 2 problem STS