Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The beginning of something...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for an update!

Regrettably, no pics just yet.

OK, so after about 6K miles on the setup or so, I had leak what I believed to be between the manifold flange and the head. It sounded bad at cold start but got much much quiter after warming up, which wasn't suprising. The car seemed to have not lost much of any spool time, and still hit 16-16.5psi like nobody's business on the street, so the size of the crack was unexpected. A 1 inch crack where one of the primary tubes went into the merge; right on the merge side of the weld, and another small crack at the merge are visible looking through the inside. It's not surprising; most of the weight of the turbo itself is supported by this manifold. I looked around for a good place to add a brace, but I have not found one yet.

The car is down for the following:

All piping is off for inspection, cleaning, repair, coating or hi temp painting, and new full wrapping. A few of the V-bands will be replaced at this time as well.

Also, the pipe that returns the gate exhaust to the downpipe is being removed and the gate will now vent to atmosphere.

The car gets new shiny slotted rotors and ceramic pads and will get the PHB on at the same time.

I have some still-unknown issue with the car falling off up top. It's easy to shift by 6K on the street and no one is the wiser; including all of the cars that get hammered on the street

I am putting some TR8s in there to see if they help. Pulling the gate exhaust out of the downpipe is furthering the same effort. If the problem persists past these items, I will do a before and after pressure test to see what my ratio is looking like.

Worst of all; my car will cross 30K miles in the next 200
Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont worry Frost, My car is down also =)

I had some things happen all at once. My rack and pinion died. Replaced that, then the high pressure hose blew up causing a huge smelly mess. Replaced the hose, and power steering pump. Well when the hose blew it broke my rack and pinion again, so I had to replace that once again.

Figured I would replace the oil pan gasket since it wasnt installed correctly the first time. Well I said **** it, might as well install the solid motor mounts. Got the old motor mounts off, and said might as well get a tubular k member. =)

Sooooooooooo Everything is installed now except the turbo piping. Kmember/motor mounts/oil pan/rack & pinion is back on.

I am getting a slight misfire at idle. While I had the oil pan cover off, I took off the splash cover and all the rods/rod bolts/crank looked ok. Didnt notice any scratched on the piston walls.

Do you think it could be a bad valve, rocker, or spring? I did notice a o-ring looking thing that was stuck on the oil pickup screen. Wondering what it could be from?????
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Monello
....I did notice a o-ring looking thing that was stuck on the oil pickup screen. Wondering what it could be from?????

That doesn't sound good... was it the pickup's o-ring?

This is the latest pic of the car; not so great and no under hood, but I'll take some of everything going back on.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not the oil pickup oring. I did replace it since I figured it wouldnt be a bad idea.

Went outside and looked at it and began to pick it apart. Looks like it may just be a very very small piece of branch that is some how in there?????

Guess it could have fallin into the engine during an oil change the last 8 years and has been living at the bottom of the engine since then. lol.

Last edited by Monello; 10-20-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

injectors have o rings
Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frost
That doesn't sound good... was it the pickup's o-ring?

This is the latest pic of the car; not so great and no under hood, but I'll take some of everything going back on.

have you thought about lowering the car a little?
Old 10-21-2008, 02:13 PM
FormerVendor

yeah I have.... gonna drop the rear about an inch while it's down and go from there.

To be honest, I think I may be getting it ready for sale or trade. I wanna C5 (boosted or I will be adding boost) and am toying with the idea of posting it for trade once I get all of the little loose ends wrapped up
Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frost
yeah I have.... gonna drop the rear about an inch while it's down and go from there.

To be honest, I think I may be getting it ready for sale or trade. I wanna C5 (boosted or I will be adding boost) and am toying with the idea of posting it for trade once I get all of the little loose ends wrapped up
There's an 04 black on black C5 with auto trans where I'm at. The dealer is asking $25K I think. It has 44K miles though
Old 10-25-2008, 01:02 AM
FormerVendor

I have some pics of the manifold that cracked and what it looked like after it was welded up. My buddy Matt fixed my piping up and did a good job. I am having this piping blasted to clean it, hi temp primer, hi temp paint and then wrapped back up.

While I had the piping off, I decided to get the waste gate exhaust out of the downpipe to let it vent to atmosphere.

Here are the pics of the fixed up pipes:

Here is the downpipe with the waste gate exhaust pipe cut off and the hole welded up:

Old 10-25-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

very niceeeeeeeee.

I am guessing that is where mine will crack unless I get the turbo supported some how. lol.

Frost, I was wondering if a log from HP Tuners would explain why I get a misfire once the car has warmed up?

Anything I should look at in the log?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

****, I just found this thread and noticed you had to clearance the solid mounts. Was it absolutely necessary? Also how are your powersteering lines and how much did you wrap? I wrapped the two rubber lines and thats all. Is that all thats needed to wrap? Thanks, you guys have been a big help!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were you I would get a braided high pressure hose for the P/S and reroute it. I had my stock hose wrapped like crazy and it still blew up and shop p/s fluid everywhere.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

If I were you I would get a braided high pressure hose for the P/S and reroute it. I had my stock hose wrapped like crazy and it still blew up and shop p/s fluid everywhere.
Where did you get your hose from?
Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

made it, look on the forum, i think there is a post with all the parts you need to make your own hose.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM
FormerVendor

Frost, I was wondering if a log from HP Tuners would explain why I get a misfire once the car has warmed up?

Anything I should look at in the log?

log misfire counts/cyl to see which cylinder they are coming from. It's likely a burnt or unsatisfactorily connected plug wire...
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Found it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/367551-stainless-braided-power-steering-lines.html
Old 10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be it.

Thanks for the tip frost. I am going to check it out.

What could it be if all cylinders are showing a small misfire on the driver side? Could a bad coil pack/wire/fuel injector affect other cylinders?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

off to PM, wanna keep this thread on track

Yesterday I took all of the pipes down to clean bare metal with a die grinder and a brass brushed wheel and cleaned them with a solvent. They got a coat of VHT primer and then VHT ceramic hi-temp paint. Once the paint was dry, the hot parts were wrapped back up and sprayed with the silver wrap sealant. I won't get to work on it again until next weekend, but I hope to get it back together then
Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Have you made the bracket yet? Post some pictures up when you get the chance if you don't mind.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

I don't have any bracket design to show as of yet

Quick Reply: The beginning of something...