Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is LS6 cam good turbo cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is LS6 cam good turbo cam

Has any one used this cam , I am running a stock
98 ls1 cam now .I do not want to go to big .
Every day driver. Pull trailer sotimes.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Is LS6 cam good turbo cam

That's a loaded question.

If the turbo is sized reasonably (so it has a reasonably useful amount of boost down low), then it will be more of a midrange power generator than a top end power generator (at least, when compared to a centrifugal supercharger).

For this reason you want a higher RPM cam for a turbo car than a centrifugally blown car, so in that respect the LS6 is a good choice.

The problem is turbo cams require a whole different perspective in the first place. There is pressure in the exhaust manifold, so overlap and exhaust events should be altered. One example is the exhaust closing event. There is an optimum point to close the exhaust in order scavenge the most possible from the cylinder. Since there is pressure in a turbo manifold, this point occurs earlier in a turbo setup than a NA or SC setup.

Another design consideration for street turbos is overlap. If you use a NA cam you screw yourself during the overlap because the high pressure in the exhaust manifold causes reversion into the intake. The LS6 cam is good in this regard because it's lack of overlap.

This is generic advice and varies with your turbine housing and how much boost you plan to run, but hopefully it gets you thinking in turbo mode.

Overall the LS6 cam would be an ok choice, but not ideal. Consider looking at the turbo specific grinds in the cam grinder catalogs.

Steve
Old 03-26-2003, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cablebandit used a ls6 cam on his turbotech charged ls1. He didnt like it.
You would probably do better with a custom grind.
Depending on your drivabitly requirements you might try a 224/220-115. More or less duration for your requirements.
I hear that reverse splits to well for turbos, but other say the standard splits.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

All good advise. Here's my take:

The LS6 cam has a ton of LSA and relatively small duration, which keeps the overlap to a minimum. Plus it adds a bit of needed lift over the LS1 cam. All good.

The long and the short is it's a better turbo cam than the LS1 cam, which works really well, but if you're after something specific, look at the customs. I'd recommend Jim Bell, since he knows more about turbo grinds than 90% of the shops out there that sell cams.

SC-
Old 03-26-2003, 10:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

If price is not an object, ie. you got a used LS6 cam for $100...

I'd go with something like a 224/218///115 for top end power or I'd drop the LSA down to 114 or even research dropping it to 113 to help out your midrange... I'd want more intake duration for a turbo cam.

Since you are a heavy truck, you might want to look into an even smaller cam but perhaps you could tell us what you are trying to achieve.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

I just tring to get a turbo frendly cam ,not to
radical ,mabe a little more power ,i drive it every day to and from work, April 28 Ed Wright
is going to dyno tune my truck. I just tring to cover all the bases before i go there.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

yup, in a truck you definately want more low end. John told you that cam b/c it will riase your exhaust velocity, plus he knows what he is talking about, so i would definately take his advice, i would keep the lift below 270 to keep better cylinder pressure. that ls6 cam will work, just not as efficiently as a turbo cam.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok 270, what the hell was i thinking i meant about .570. Thunder racing makes a good reverse split cam (works good in turbo apps.) that i would try at a 114 lsa. 227/224 .569/.563 114 LSA are the specs. I would probably lower the exhaust duration a little more, maybe to a 220 or so, yet keeping the same lift.

Quick Reply: Is LS6 cam good turbo cam