Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: What set up would you reccommend i go with for what im looking for?
ATI D1SC 8-Rib kit on 8 psi
44.55%
A turbo kit on 6-8 psi (Post which kit you think would work best for me. Thanks!
55.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 02:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SC is making some boost right off of idle, but isn't at peak boost until peak RPMS. The turbo is at full boost much sooner.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

I think you have it mixed up a little actually... the turbo car gives you more low-mid end torque, the supercharger gives you more top-end torque. You're probably thinking more about turbo lag... which is pretty much eliminated with a good well-designed kit and a properly sized turbo. You'll be fine off the line with a stalled converter, and any lag you see at a roll will be a few tenths of a second.

Torque is what pins you back in your seat when you stomp your foot on the gas, whether it's from a red light or at 60mph. A supercharger will give you a gradual increase in torque from idle all the way up to redline. A turbocharger is going to give you a f$#kload of torque around 2500-3500rpms and slowly trail off as you approach redline.

If you're seriously going to drop $8k on this setup, go test drive a supercharged and turbo car... they're two completely different kinds of fast!

Originally Posted by Superman09
Ok thanks a lot...... Well see now i am totally unsure what i want....... Im in MI and car is only drivin half the year due to snow..... My goal is over 450 to the rears threw stalled A4...... Car is drivin 99% on street. It may see the track later once i get the trans/rear to support it. I jsut basically need something reliable that i can drive everyday and have a ton of fun with it on the weekends. Not real sure if i want my torque early like a s/c or wait for it to spool like a turbo but turbo does make mroe overall power...... As of right now i am totally unsure. Someone convince me.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Ok i got another question..... Exactly how much do i have to monitor/worry about a FI set up? This car will be drivin pretty much every day in the summer and will probably see about 5-6k miles a year. I really wanted to go FI as no one else around me is and the thought of pwoer building and building is what i like. Also the ability to grow after i build my motor and what not. I figure it will cost me about $8 grand to get a FI set up properly installed/tuned with all necessary parts for 8 psi. That will net me prolly around 450 to the rears threw my a4. I dont really want to dig into my engine now and do heads/cam but all in all, is that really the better choice for me? Would getting some big power heads/ big cam to get like 450 to the rears threw my motor be as troubling/have to worry about problems as an 8psi FI set up? Way i look at it..... 8 grand for 8 psi set up for 450 rwhp. heads- $2200, cam plus valvetrain- $1000, install for both-$1000, tune $500. So were looking at about $5 grand maybe 6 tops for that route but im about maxxed out...... I really dont want to spray as i dont want to keep dumping money into filling the bottle. Im not gunna lie, if i have a bottle in my car, ill use it ALOT, i wont be able to conserve it and after keeping on refilling the bottle, i will have a ton invested into it and i dont even no of a place around me to fill up? So nitrous is a no-no. What im asking is.... would big heads/big cam be a lot easier to ddaily drive/less problems than a properly set up and tuned 8 psi set up. Looking to go to exotic to do the FI and prolly Speed inc if i went heads/cam. What do you think......I really want FI as i can grow but if heads/cam is really want i need than i may settle that route. Also to keep check on my tune and how my FI is going, do i have to have a laptop in my car at all time and learn to monitor it? If i was taguht how to keep check and adjsut stuff with laptop/ls1edit, im sure i could keep the tune safe. What do you think? Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-06-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

A turbo might be more than you're looking for, as you're probably going to be hitting at least 550rwhp. With a mild turbo setup, you will be able to leave your heads and cam alone for now... however some new springs might be some good insurance.

If you want the details, start talking to vendors who have kits out. They'll be able to tell you what you need (if anything) with their kit. They will prob know their kit better than anyone.

If you do heads/cam, your driveability and fuel mileage may suffer.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok cool. Well my main goals is a mid 10 sec pass o nthe track in street trim...... which doesnt mean stock sus./street tires..... Ill later upgrade drivetrain/suspension and hopefully will be running 315x35x18 on the rear here soon. Looking to get my rims widened... I no a small rim is a lot better for sidewall but since im all street, i want to keep my look. Sooo ive already talked to a few vendors..... Exotic seems to be the best/most helpful with the D1SC. They stand by it, good price and have heard good things. All the turbo kits are still i nthe process and have no numbers yet. Im really unsure. Poll is even. Ahhhh convince me. I will eventually add heads/cam to this motor after i get the 8psi kit..... Or i could run like 6 psi on a turbo kit for about 450 rwhp... would that be safer than 8 psi supercharger? Whatcha think

Old 11-06-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

As far as safety is concerned, it's all about your tune. That will determine whether or not it's safe.

Check the For Sale section of the forum... I remember seeing a couple turbo kits for sale.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So do i have to keep my ls1edit program and laptop in the car at all times to monitor it? If so that would be awesome having a computer hooked up! haha. let me know. Thanks. Im going to check out the f/s section........ Help me decide on turbo or s/c. I think turbo would be more fun but may have mroe problems

Old 11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Wow poll was 80% s/c to turbos 20% a while ago and now turbo took over the lead! For what reasons are you guys telling me turbo over s/c!?

Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i am biased to turbo as that is the way i went but i loved turbo before i decided to do it on the camaro. If u can limit yourself to 450 for a while then u will be able to save alot of money as u can kep alot of stock stuff. Heads and fuel to name a few. If u plan on goin higherthen that then definatly look into heads fuel and hptuners or ls1edit. I push 13 psi and make well over 600 to the wheels. So 8 pis will fine for a long time. Superchargers arent as fun imho. U needto spend a couple hours changin the boost level. Like if ya go to teh track adn ya wanna add some boost its a turn of a button away. Supers are slower at teh same boost. Turbos have alot more power under teh curve. The arguement that blowers make power as soon as u hit the gas, well i cant tell u that i have ever started racin someone from 1500 rpm. When i get on it over 3k it makes boostnearly instantly and pulls like hell to redline. GL man hope ya go FI

John
Old 11-06-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

I'll throw in my 2 cents, but its not worth much as I don't own either.

either one you go with, you'll have a lot of fun.....I am leaning toward a turbo setup myself (like 2-3 years from now) because iy seems to be the "in" thing, SC are so last year....lol

but seriously, it seems the procharger is a safe bet because they have been around for a while which you can't say for any turbo setup as they seem to disappear quickly. The only real issue seems to be belt slip, but nothing some $$$ can't fix.....don't have to worry about headers cracking either......IDK good luck in your decsion, but I think whatever you chose your gonna be real happy
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea thanks for the input....i am like 95% set on FI now.... and 50% on going s/c and 50% on turbo, haha. Turbo is taking over the poll lead... osme mroe input would be wonderful. thanks!

Old 11-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Launching!

From personal experience, turbos are so much fun. You get a turbo and a decent TQ and you've got the best of both worlds. The word is that a SC is faster off the line and the turbo is good for high-end. If you get a decent TQ, you've essentially gotten rid of the need for a SC. Get the TQ to spool that turbo up into the powerband at the line and you're off like a rocket. The turbo keeps on pulling the faster you go. I cant get enough of the sound when she wakes up!

Like everyone else seems to think, you do what you want and can afford. No one's gonna look down their nose at whatever you decide. She's YOUR baby!
Old 11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yep that is right...... For a nice fully set up single turbo kit for 8 psi ish.... Are we looking at about the same 8 grand price or cheaper?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Joel@

Yep that is right...... For a nice fully set up single turbo kit for 8 psi ish.... Are we looking at about the same 8 grand price or cheaper?
Cheaper
Old 11-06-2005, 06:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Joel, what is the total price for yuor kit..... and do you install and tune at your shop for a reduced price? Please PM a nice set up and pics for my 8 psi application needs. Thanks..... also if you have any dyno vids? Thanks a lot...... How would you compare your kit to hi-flo's?

Old 11-06-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you concidered punching it out to 427? Should give you 450 normally aspirated hp at the least. Not sure how much it would run ya though... The owner of the speed shop in my town is persuading me to go that route...
Old 11-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Joel@

Joel, what is the total price for yuor kit..... and do you install and tune at your shop for a reduced price? Please PM a nice set up and pics for my 8 psi application needs. Thanks..... also if you have any dyno vids? Thanks a lot...... How would you compare your kit to hi-flo's?
I've sent you pms about all of that info. THanks Joel @ GMR
Old 11-06-2005, 07:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

hmmmm. building a motor is too much. All done and complete i think a fuell 408 ish long block is going to cost me roughly 13 grand ish to be done right. Thanks joel. forgot about my PM's. ill get back to you

Old 11-06-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may have a truck, but I'll give ya my 2c. I've had a STS turbo kit running on a bone stock 4.8 4x4 xcab since Feb of this year. I run 6-7 lbs of boost and drive it every day. I've put over 12,000 miles on it and not had one problem at all. Just resently got back from a 4000 mile trip this summer and had no issues or worrys the whole time. Also got about 18.5+ MPG averaged for the trip which is better then I had ever got before the turbo (remember, this is a heavy truck ). The truck is so much more fun to drive with the turbo. It was a dog before the turbo with the small motor and now it will out run most any cars and trucks I come across. Drives just like stock until you get on the gas and then it pulls like mad, and sounds sweet too! I love it! Best mod I have ever done for performance. I bought my kit slightly used and added a few things I built like an intercooler and upgraded fuel system and also got EFILive and a wideband O2 to play with my tune and have around 5k or so in it. Of course I did all my own work, so I saved some money there. I hope that helps.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ohthanks for the input...... sort of getting a little better views on the STS here? Should i be considering the kit?

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped