Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: What set up would you reccommend i go with for what im looking for?
ATI D1SC 8-Rib kit on 8 psi
44.55%
A turbo kit on 6-8 psi (Post which kit you think would work best for me. Thanks!
55.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo.

Building a motor costs way too much, and you get ***-raped by the prices.

A s/c is tried and true. As for the low-end torque... centrifigual blowers (ati,vortech) don't produce anymore low-end torque than a turbo would. Only roots style(positive displacement) blowers do that. You'll have less power under the curve.

Turbo makes lots of torque, and it doesn't add anymore stress on the crank like the blowers do. Youll most likely survive at higher hp's with a turbo than a s/c if your crank is weak, if you survive at all that is.

Pick a good kit. Do you need AC or not? Thatll lower your options, and then pick the kit that allows the most expansion, and is the most complete for the dollar. Remember man, these turbo guys want you to buy THEIR ****, not the other way around, so just because one of them makes a good offer, do not immediately go for it.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea. thats what im on here for. Yes i do want to keep AC. I am really unsure on what kit best suits me thats why i made this thread...... What turbo kit do you think best suits me do you think? I no for blower tis D1SC, how about turbo?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-06-2005, 09:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Maybe STS is for me? Any input on it? Thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Superman09
ohthanks for the input...... sort of getting a little better views on the STS here? Should i be considering the kit?
I prefer the turbo up front.....So far the Hi-Flo kit looks really good.....I hope to hear positive news once members get their hands on the kit.....I figure around summer 06 we'll start hearing some info
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Oh ****, I know what no one has said yet, and its probably the best info to give.....Put your 8K in the bank, let it collect some interest....in the meantime stay in this forum and read as much info as you can. There are lots of plus and minuses to each kit, and usually the minuses aren't seen until they get into the hands of our users....for instance, last year everyone was singing the praise of Phamspeed and how great their product was, well this year it seems they are singing a different tune and whether or not it is a joke or not, I have seen a lot of people asking if they can trade in their phamspeed kit for xx kit
Old 11-06-2005, 10:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only drawback I could find to the older PS/GZ kit was the piping that went under the Kmember. Their newer kit is a log style, and doesn't (if I 'member right) run any piping down low, which would also work with the levels you want plus some, much like the GMR or the TTi street kit.

I'm in the middle of a PTK build; this kit LOOKS VERY NICE and is VERY complete.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hmmm ok....well i think i am leaning towards a turbo kit..... I will def wait on it for a while and maybe see how most perform this summer as i do not have full funds yet. So far im looking at the Hi-Flo kit, GMR kit, TTi street/race?, and maybe the STS. Im going to PM some sponsers to get a full price for these kits installed........ Now another question...... Do you think i could install a turbo kit without screwing anything up? Is it relatively easy to bolt all up and what not? If i could and save a grand or whatever, i would gladly do it. Now would you reccommend this as seeing ill have to drive at least an hour to get a tune? Also for tuning.... i should get LS1Edit and a laptop..... does this stay in car at all time to monitor the system? Thanks

Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Suspended Sponsor

As far as tuning goes with any power adder we recommend a professional dyno tune. LS1 edit is not a scan tool, it is a tuning device, so you really would not be monitoring anything, The only things that you really monitor ALL the time would be with boost and fuel pressure gauges. If you wanted, for data logging purposes, you can get autotap or EFI live, but to answer your question no you would not have to leave the computer hooked up the whole time. Hope that helped.

-Leo
Old 11-07-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

turbo systems don't seem too hard to install...I'm sure the procharger and STS are pieces of cake as they look extremely simple....but overall it can't be too difficult, your basically taking off your headers and replacing them and moving a few other things around.....Fuel stuff seems pretty simple as well.....Or you could do most of the work and then have the car towed to your closest shop/tuner....thats what I want to do at least.....have it all finished and then have it towed for tuning....I know you can drive there, but better safe than sorry
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

I've got the STS on my SS and with 918 springs and hardened push rods I've got 4500 in the car and I've got around 400hp/410tq at the wheels on a stock motor w/tune. I'm also only running 5# of boost. You might have some troubles with the STS since you car is lowered but for the cost and the fact that you can save a good chunk of your 8gs until you really want to go all out on the motor its a good bet. My car is daly driven and I've had only minimal problems like blowing the clutch after 2 weeks but STS has good customer service and will try to work with you to work all of the bugs out if any arise.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

If I were you I would go with the s/c. One, you already know about the Procharger kit and how it will be installed. You will have no clearance issues or fabrication issues. Also, if you were going to go with the turbo, would if be front mounted (which i beleive you would have to fab up) or an garret STS system (a kit which replaces the muffler, its cool but you end up with only single exhaust)? Turbos may put out a bit more power but i dont think it would be as braod on the power curve. With the s/c you're getting power from 1,300 rpms... not bad. As for sounds, the s/c will be a bit of a give away but would you really want a blow off valve on your car? Lastly, from what I have heard/read a s/c would be the most reliable... that might be kinda important after spending 8 grand.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea your right..... Hmmm Im still thinking i like the turbo more.... I really would like a nicely done/clean kit with very good fitment for front mounted turbo. I actually would like the BOV. I am definately getting a pro dyno tune.... i was jsut curious if i needed to monitor anything with a laptop... which i dont. thnaks for clearing that up.... so on top of the turbo kit it self ill need........ 42# injectors, walbro fuel pump, install (which i can more than likely do myself) and dyno tune..... Also ill need a pillar pod as i dont want to take out my AC vents and a boost/fuel pressure gauge. Is that all ill need? Thanks! Any input on what turbo kit looks good right now and some prices? thanks! Im def thinking i want a front mounted kit soooo hi-flo, GMR, TTi... which one looks the best?

Old 11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Suspended Sponsor

Yea the pillar pod is cheap, that is what we used on the test 98 car we did it on, ill see what I can do to get you some pics of what it looks like.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok, i havent heard too much about your kit? All ive been hearing about is STS and Hi-Flo.... can someone give me some input on GMR and TTi? Thanks

Old 11-07-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

don't forget to upgrade your valve train.....Thus far it seems the Hi-flo kit is the hot topic, but it remains to be seen how they are....we'll find out within a year I guess
Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea. well valvetrain.... what all do you suggst i upgrade? I plan on getting a FI cam and maybe some LQ9 heads down the road a bit..... anything i need to run from the get go?

Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Valve springs, retainers, seats, pushrods, seals, etc. You can buy an entire cam kit for around $700 from the sponsors. I would also look into a ported oil pump and a new timing chain.

The GMR, groundzero, and TTi street kit all use log manifolds and use an a2a intercooler. The TTi kit has been around the longest and I havent heard of too many complaints about their system. Just about everyone using a TTi kit loves it. As for the GMR and groundzero kit, they are still pretty new so I havent heard much about them. The hi-flo, TTi race kit, PTK, and speed inc kit all use tubular manifolds.You can grow a lot more with a tubular manifold but for your power goals any of the kits will get you there. Personally, I would just wait and do some more research until more personal experiences with each kit come into play. Just my .02

Last edited by ~RedLineLs1~; 11-07-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea your right. im def waiting to see what some of these new kits do. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2005, 07:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Also whats a good power FI cam? Any cam i could get now that will be good for FI when i go that route so my valvetrain will already be done and ill have more power/lope now?

Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

You could always go with a z06 cam but I wouldnt bother with the cam until you get the kit. Call the sponsor of your choice and tell them your setup and they can work something out with you. They need to be able to match the cam to your setup.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped