Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: What set up would you reccommend i go with for what im looking for?
ATI D1SC 8-Rib kit on 8 psi
44.55%
A turbo kit on 6-8 psi (Post which kit you think would work best for me. Thanks!
55.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey guys. im thinking about this again. Not ready yet but have a few more questions. Lets say i get a D1SC kit set up for 8 PSI. How much maintenance will i have to perform? What all will i have to do when i drive/before i drive to make sure i dont blow anything? Or is this kit once tuned jsut ready to drive like stock? How does this compare to a turbo kit? Like once set up and tuned..... how much work does a S/C and Turbo take to keep going? Also it seems that for a turbo kit ill need a lot of more stuff to get going vs D1SC kit where all i need is the injectors, kit, pump and few very minor things. Im thinking D1SC will be a lot easier to deal with compared to a turbo? Or am i completely wrong?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-25-2005, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blower more reliable than turbo? Cant say Ive ever seen it. Snapping belts, weak tenioners etc. etc, all the joys of a supercharger, none of which ever happens with a correctly turbocharged engine. However Im a little biased - www.ls1turbo.com.au
Old 12-25-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

supposedly the newer ATI kits took care of the belt problems. You should probably change your oil at every 2000 miles , clean your air filter monthly and change spark plugs once a year along with the fuel filter. Just keep an eye on things and look under the hood weekly or biweekly and you'll be fine as long as long as your tune's good.

Turbos are nice too but you just can't find a decently priced well engineered kit. Maybe you Aussie's got it figured out down under.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Haha yea, well im jsut trying to see which type requires more work/maintenance and less problems. I can get a turbo kit for about same price as the s/c. There about same in price from my research, good 8 rib d1sc installed for about same price as hi-flo installed, but im waiting on numbers for those. The TTi is a little more but proven and im waiting for more info on GMR, there price is nice, lol. Input on maintenance/problems, which is easier for DD? Thanks

Old 12-25-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Second Club

both require the same kind of maintenance. since you can get either at pretty much the same price it comes to preference and opinion.

I wouldn't factor it on that its cooler to say your turbo charged over supercharged.

You may want to look at the rotrex superchargers that w2w offers. That's the supercharger of the future.

For dd, I think sc is the way to go, if your more of a track guy turbo will pull hard on the top end.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well im more street. Whats up with this rotex? Can someone give me some info on it?

Old 12-26-2005, 06:24 AM
FormerVendor

Buy on price alone and expect problems as part of the package. Thats a worldwide fact of life
Old 12-26-2005, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

ok go to the wheel to wheel website and read up some there, your best bet is to talk with Kurt, they put it on their GTO and got some nice results.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hmm ill check that out. Right now im thinking about either D1SC or hi flo depending o nthere numbers and if i can get some more info on GMR and why there so cheap.

Old 12-26-2005, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo is the way to go if you see more action on the street and rolling. From a roll, full boost can be reached almost instantly rather than only having it at peak rpm. Your SC may hit, 8lbs at 6,100 RPMs, but the turbo can be there by around 4000....
Old 12-26-2005, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea, im figureing the turbo will put down more power and be faster on the street, But what concerns me more is which will require more maintenance and work and have fewer probs, etc.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Joel@

Originally Posted by Superman09
Hmm ill check that out. Right now im thinking about either D1SC or hi flo depending o nthere numbers and if i can get some more info on GMR and why there so cheap.
Everybody wonders why our kit is so in exspensive. We are trying to stay around the STS price...seeing that alot of people buy it. We like to give people a choice for a front mount setup for around the same price. Plus our kit reuses the factory passenger side manifold for the $3999.99 price. We offer a shorty header as a upgrade on the passenger side. Hope that helps.

Joel
Old 12-26-2005, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey Joel, i see your kit come with the 61 turbo. Would this match up well to a pretty stock ls1 with stock internals or should i go a little bigger. Im hoping for around 45o to the rears so id prolly want to go about 6-8 psi, 6 all day on street and maybe bump it to 8 for a race once n a while or something. What is a complete price for yuor kit plus all the other stuff i need, injectors, pump, install and tune for about 450 threw stalled auto. Please let me know. thanks!

Old 12-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Hey superman, If you want sort of an idea on which route to choose, check out this video i have in my Sig at the bottom, its a forced air battle./ sc vs. turbo.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Awesome vid. That STS ta put the beat down on the Procharged vette at same psi. I was pretty sure turbo vs s/c on same psi, turbo would take it, but that really proves it. Ok you got me, i want turbo, lol. Waiting on hi-flo numbers and some info on GMR from people that have their kit.

Old 12-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

i am heavily considering the GMR kit as well, but the turbo seems way to small for my taste. i like my car to be more of a top end runner. i am in ur same shoes man! let the poll go on!
Old 12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alright sweet, yea id like to get a little more info o nthe GMR, i like the price but it needs like a t-67. Also it includes intercooler and all the needed stuff. Do i need a BOV with auto? Joel, id like a complete price for kit (w/ t-67 if possible) and all the needed stuff like injectors,pump, install, tune. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Teching In

i would go with turbo... i personally like turbo better. ive been driving a KB cobra for about 10 months now and now i've got a TT cobra...WOW is all i got to say. The feel of it is soo amazing. The lag really isn't that big of a deal. It feels soo much better than a blower. If u race top end haha turbo all the way
Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yea im pretty sure i want to go turbo. its jsut...... which kit, get back to me on price GMR

Old 12-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Teching In

i was actually thinkin a precision T70... seems to be a very popular choice around here that ground zero offers in their kit which is 400 bucks more... might be worth it if the turbo is a much better match for a ls1, especially one with a cam like mine.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped