Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Incon car blowing smoke(oil) through exhaust, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTSSZ-I am going to be upgrading my kit to the larger turbos. Like I posted in the thread about the intercoolers being the next limit in terms of producing horsepower, I was wondering what your intercooler setup is and how much rwhp you've been able to make? I tried sending a pm but your box was full. You can pm me with a reply if you don't want people to know your power level.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I contacted limit engineering and they no longer upgrade to the larger turbos.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chris's ws6
WOW, I'm glad the thread has taken an awsome turn in terms of being a great source of info for incon owners and people just wondering about the kits in general. I decided to keep my kit and upgrade to the larger turbos since the turbos is what was wrong with my car.

CRANKCASE PRESSURE SOLUTION- Summit part #MRG-6002. Check it out, only $32 and completly solves the problem. It relieves virtually all crankcase pressure. Some supras use this and have picked up over 20rwhp. It also helps to spool the turbos quicker from what I hear.
So you've already upgraded the turbos? Who did you have do the upgrade?
And also if you don't mind sharing, how much? So does that take it from the '35' to the '37'? So was a seal bad?

- Dug
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im only pushing 572rw at 8 lbs of boost.
I still have a stock shortblock.........
I have the twin Incon i/c's
Old 12-15-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude... I need an incon kit. You're on freakin' pump gas cablebandit?! Now, now, now, pump gas isn't meth

I don't see why someone doesn't replicate these kits... They would freakin' sell!
Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTSSZ
Im only pushing 572rw at 8 lbs of boost.
I still have a stock shortblock.........
I have the twin Incon i/c's
How much do you think you could put down if you went to 10 pounds?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

About crankcase ventilation... How does it get pressurized from upping the boost? For what components is it bad for? I'm assuming connecting rods/pistons.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

I obviously wasn't making as much as TTSSZ, but @10psi I was doing around 575 . . . mine was on 91 octane so had timing pretty low.

- Dug
Old 12-15-2005, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

No, I didn't do the upgrade yet. After trouble shooting the car I know the oil is leaking from the turbos. I ordered the parts from summit today to fix the problem. I have had the turbos for only 1,000 miles and only got on them once(at 17#'s) and then they started smoking. Through a leak down test on the motor I know it's not the motor. I inspected the scavenge pump and it's fine. When I drive the car the more I get into boost the worse the smoke. So It's probably crankcase pressure squeezing oil through the turbo. I spoke to a guy(mike) at blouch turbo and told him the scenario. He said that since I never beat on the turbos he doubts it's a seal. The seal is actually a metal ring, so unless I broke, cracked, or some how warped the metal ring it isn't the turbo. He even thinks it's crankcase pressure. He said to buy the stuff from summit and run the car a few days to burn up the left over oil in the exhaust. Then if there is still smoke, than for some reason the seal or something else did fail and I would need to get the turbos inspected and repaired. He said to inspect and repair them(if they need to be) it would 350.00 per turbo. To do the upgrade it would be an extra 200.00(maybe 250.00 I can't remember) per turbo.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
How much do you think you could put down if you went to 10 pounds?
8lbs adds about 60% more power It seams.....so
10lbs should be about 70% more or about 600rw

The reason the Incon kit is not copied is because it would cost way to much to duplicate. All the stuff came from Australia where labor for casting the manifolds and making the formed hoses was a fifth of the cost in the grate ol usa. You would have to charge a lot to make a profit. For that money most people might step up to a custom kit that could push 1200 to the wheels. There would be a few people like myself who want a factory like turbo kit, much like that of the grate Buick grand nats – that could go 100,000mi with just oil changes and a few tune ups and still blow the doors off 98% of the competition.

I think the more you drive these kits the better they perform. Seems the biggest problem you can have with this setup is when you let the car sit to long without giving it a good thrashing!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 PM
9 Second Club

Mine is not 93...its 93 + methanol injection.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

WARPNOVA- You could get any of the ar's with any of the incon kits stage 1,2,or 3. As for a megasquirt. I don't know what exactly that is but since you mentioned 91 octane I am assuming it's something that allows you to run more boost on pump gas by adding methanol or something like that. I would never run one just for the fact that it is one more thing that can break. If you tune your car to run at 11.5:1 air fuel ratio at 12#'s of boost plus the megasquirt and the megasquirt breaks for some reason, the motor would blow up before you could even lift off the gas. Just tune your car for pump gas and then go back and tune your car for race gas at a higher boost setting. The chances of something in your fuel system beaking and causing your car to run lean are far less than an aftermarket kit that adds methanol to run more boost. Just my personal preforance.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

WARPNOVA- You could get any of the ar's with any of the incon kits stage 1,2,or 3. As for a megasquirt. I don't know what exactly that is but since you mentioned 91 octane I am assuming it's something that allows you to run more boost on pump gas by adding methanol or something like that. I would never run one just for the fact that it is one more thing that can break. If you tune your car to run at 11.5:1 air fuel ratio at 12#'s of boost plus the megasquirt and the megasquirt breaks for some reason, the motor would blow up before you could even lift off the gas. Just tune your car for pump gas and then go back and tune your car for race gas at a higher boost setting. The chances of something in your fuel system beaking and causing your car to run lean are far less than an aftermarket kit that adds methanol to run more boost. Just my personal preforance.
Amen to that. I was really pushing the envelope wayyy to far on my stock motor . . . 621rwhp on 41lb injectors, stock fuel everything other than the Walbro 340. While racing, my SMC pump seized up, went ultra-lean, and boom, cracked a ringland.

Now I'm going to do exactly the same thing you outlined, max effort pump gas, different tune for race gas. Keep it safe.

- Dug
Old 12-16-2005, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

WARPNOVA-If the APS turbos have a to4b compressor housing and a t28 exhaust housing it will be close but not the exact same(check out SS2win's 2nd post on page 4, it explains the turbos and then you can compare them to the APS turbos). As for your motor surviving at 500rwhp on 91 octane at 9.5:1 compression, you will have no problems. You can live at that level for as long as your stock motor would have lasted without the turbo kit. On 93 octane I have tuned so far( having some boost issues) at 12#s on a 9:1 built motor 608rwhp. We are talking about over a hundred more horsepower with only a 2 point higher octane rating, you're fine. I'm going to be upping the boost to 15#'s on pump gas, probably around 675rwhp once I get my boost issue sorted out.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

I contacted limit engineering and they no longer upgrade to the larger turbos.
www.forcedperformance.net

They can do it..

Just say I need to keep this turbine housing and compressor cover.. He will be able to tell you some options for making some more power.. They make some amazing custom turbos.. The worlds fastest AWD 4 cyl is running a FP custom..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-16-2005 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who are you going to for your little 4.8L project, DSM? I want to see what type of monster you'll be building up... It'll be quite interesting
Old 12-16-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mahhddgtp
Who are you going to for your little 4.8L project, DSM? I want to see what type of monster you'll be building up... It'll be quite interesting
I'm waiting to get turbos for that untill the chasis and drivetrain is done..

There are so many advances going on..

Who knows... Maybe it will be two turbos with titanium aluminide turbine wheels and shafts instead of inconnel.. In twinscroll housings with ball bearings..?

Stuff is changing so fast I decided to build the truck with the two dated turbos I already had.

Or maybe twin borg warner variable geometry turbos..

While some diesel engines have enjoyed this technology since the Nineties, the higher exhaust gas temperatures created by gasoline engines necessitated the creation of new heat-resistant materials to handle the hotness. Porsche and Borg Warner Turbo Systems were able to overcome the heat issue and have developed a VTG turbo system that will be incorporated into the next 911 Turbo.
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000257069829/
Old 12-17-2005, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,155 Likes on 752 Posts

600rwhp on pump gas no meth is possible. Beyond that you really need to have a a well sorted combination.

Quick Reply: Incon car blowing smoke(oil) through exhaust, need help