Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Copying the Incon TT kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there really much demand for cast turbo manifolds to suit the F body?

Peter
Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by peter@aps

Peter
It is very price dependant, but absolutely. If you could duplicate the Incon setup (although, larger turbos than were available on the incon would be a huge selling point) for less than $6,500, you would be in good shape... with sales going up exponentially as prices went down towards $4,500. As prices start going up and beyond $8K your sales would be few and far between because the F-bodies aren't really worth all that much, so it would be a bit foolish to put a $9K turbo kit on a $13K car. There is a huge market for a quality F-body turbo kit... it is just a market without very deep pockets. I think your best bet would be if you could just sell the manifolds for $1,500. Lots of DIY'ers here that would jump at the opportunity.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Peter
If it did'nt suck as much as the incon there would be demand..

I'd go right to a T3 flange....

I would also do a 4-1 cast collector style manifold...

Othewise why bother?

Not a LS1 but same concept as far as a cast 4-1... Actually a twin scroll...

http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/us...haust_man1.jpg

Then again you guys know how to do things right...you made that...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XJGPN
...... I think your best bet would be if you could just sell the manifolds for $1,500. Lots of DIY'ers here that would jump at the opportunity....

Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Also incidentally maybe make them a front facing twin system and include cast/machined relocation bracketry for the accessories as needed..

This will allow for gravity turbo oil drain and some other gains...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 PM
FormerVendor

It is very price dependant, but absolutely. If you could duplicate the Incon setup (although, larger turbos than were available on the incon would be a huge selling point) for less than $6,500, you would be in good shape... with sales going up exponentially as prices went down towards $4,500. As prices start going up and beyond $8K your sales would be few and far between because the F-bodies aren't really worth all that much, so it would be a bit foolish to put a $9K turbo kit on a $13K car. There is a huge market for a quality F-body turbo kit... it is just a market without very deep pockets.
Thanks for that info, greatly appreciated though we would not produce a full system for the F body as I suspect that the cost would be too high.

I think your best bet would be if you could just sell the manifolds for $1,500. Lots of DIY'ers here that would jump at the opportunity.
If there was sufficient interest in cast turbo manifolds for the F body then APS could produce these manifolds for certain. We have loads of experience with producing tooling for cast turbo exhaust manifolds and have CNC machines for very accurate machining. A pair of cast ductile iron turbo manifolds would be approx $1390 US, if there's sufficient interest in cast manifolds for the F body then this is a project that APS would consider seriously.

Peter
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhhh, I think you guys would make a killing on those if you actually produced them. The market is here, has been for 6+ years now.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

If there was sufficient interest in cast turbo manifolds for the F body then APS could produce these manifolds for certain. We have loads of experience with producing tooling for cast turbo exhaust manifolds and have CNC machines for very accurate machining. A pair of cast ductile iron turbo manifolds would be approx $1390 US, if there's sufficient interest in cast manifolds for the F body then this is a project that APS would consider seriously.

Peter
I would try to get a basic concept you can pitch to potential buyers...

Then figure out what your minimum production #'s would be... Have people pre-pay a refundable (should they not be produced) deposit on the manifolds. Once you have enough confirmed orders make them....

I would also leave it dimpled but not drilled by default (optional) for a external wastegate mount..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 12-20-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

I'd def be interested in a pair of cast manifolds that could be used for twin and single setups. At around 1300-1500 I agree you'd make a killing.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter
YES !!! I would like just the manifolds so i could do my own kit
Old 12-21-2005, 05:42 AM
Launching!

There would definitely be tons of interest for that as long as they used a standard T3 or T4 flange so that we can use readily available turbos.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Peter
hey you live in Australia right? Why dont you just track down the old mold. Heck you even know Dave Inall, he might have an idea where to look for it..
if you could find that and start suppling the CHRA's for the turbo youd be there.

i doubt anyone is using that mold so you could probably get it for a good price and make them, and supply the turbos, so little investment there and be able to sell them cheaply.

if that doesnt pan out then yes i think making a mold to do a version like the old incon but with T3 flanges so the turbos are cheaper, and just sell the manafolds and let the user finish every thing else would sell well as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter
Peter I think that's a very reasonable price range for the f-body crowd. I, in all honestly, don't think you would have much of a problem selling the manifolds for that price. The manifolds seem to be the "bread and butter" of the kit. The rest of it can be pieced together from off the shelf parts and a little $$$.

That might even create a market for board sponsors to become distributors, sell the manifolds with the rest of the pieces to form a kit. Just and idea.

I really don't understand why there is negative feedback on Incon kits coming from people who never have even owned one. 650+ Rwhp is more than enough for most and has been proven to low 10, high 9 sec potential.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From a business standpoint, I don't agree there is a 'killing' to be made, the market isn't that big. Since manifolds would only cost less than 25% of a completed setup you might have a shot at making a profit if they are sold seperate. I'm sure many dreamers would buy...

I agree with WARPNOVA and smokin, reproduction of the original manifolds would be welcomed and might be a profitable business venture.

As far as larger turbos go, no one has determined if larger turbos will fit in the 'incon' locations, have they?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, funny that the company that employs Dave Inall is offering to make the cast manifolds...classic.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Without the rest of the parts, it may be a very hard project to complete. I am one of the "dreamers" but I actually have a set of manifolds and dump tubes to start a buildup. $1400 for the manifolds is a reasonable price, if they include the dump tubes.

I don't know if any T3 T4 turbos will fit in the incon location, not to mention how hard it may be to get air to and from the turbos without having the nice custom silicone that is used with the incon kits.

Ryan
Old 12-21-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no reason for it to be real expensive to bring back the "Incon" F-body kit. Most of all the engineering is already done, basically all you have to do it "copy" the design.

The market for a LS1 turbo kit is there but not one company markets them correctly. (maybe STS) If you don't advertise the kits in magazines and tv car shows, how else do you really expect to sell the kits, just by word of mouth on the internet?

If it were marketed right, I'd bet you would sell more 500-600RWHP street kits than 800-900RWHP race kits hands down. Not everyone wants a full out drag car set up. What good is 800-900RWHP in a street car with street tires, you'll never get traction.

Copy the Incon kit, market them correctly, make a boat load of $$$ over the next 5 years...

Just my .02
Old 12-21-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

The market is there, but pre-paid deposits are out of the question.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
Ouch.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains

I would definitely be cautious about sending someone my money beforehand, but sending my money to a company that employs a man that has basically stolen tons of money from our community, and then flew to another country to escape his problems is definitely out of the question. I might be interested in cast manifolds somewhere down the road though, as long as there were readily available turbos.

Quick Reply: Copying the Incon TT kit