Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger whistle. annoying

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger whistle. annoying

I was just watching a video on the livernois website of a mustang with a F1. The thing whistles BAD. wifey was like, "what the hell is that noise" lol. Do they all sound like that? i hope not. if so, i'm not buying one. fingernails down a chalkboard.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 03-13-2006 at 05:45 AM. Reason: language
Old 03-12-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

F1's are going to be louder than a D1 or P1 because its more of a racing setup
Old 03-12-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

ahhh, bummer. don't know if i can handle it. i wish i knew someone who had one that i could hear locally. F-1C is the one i'm interested in.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be the bypass valve which could make the noise level and pitch somewhat tunable. My Mondo bypass whistles during the midrange, but adjusting the spring a little made it better.

Jim
Old 03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ive heard several, and yes they are all annoying as hell at idle. I sold mine and went turbo.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Launching!

The F1 series blowers are all that loud. The blower on that car is an F1-A. Not all of the blow-offs are that loud though, it has the huge race blow-off. I'll be driving that car quite a bit on the street this year and I'm thinking I'll have to crank the radio up quite a bit to not hear that whine

-Rick
Old 03-12-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that vid on my computer and it sounds like a freaking drill right next to the camera or something...It makes great power but a turbo can do that with a flatter torque curve and can be a little more stealthy on the streets...Awesome car though (For a Mustang!!! =)
Old 03-13-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Most of the whistle sound actually comes from the impeller. Inlet plumbing has A LOT to do with how loud the setup will be in any given installation. Many of the videos of hot mustangs, especially modular setups, have the inlet of the supercharger completely open to the underhood with maybe only a bellmouth screen on the opening. Due to the design of the mustang and mounting requirements the inlet is very close to the radiator and people remove the inlet tube as it poses a restriction at high airflow. They intake hot air from the radiator as a result and the system gets several decibels louder. A race car would have the radiator narrowed in that area to reduce the hot air intake.

The Livernois car is a 2005 which allows for a standard rotation setup and decent air inlet. If the inlet was turned 180 and placed behind the fender or something similar the noise would be less but would pose more restriction. In this case the F1's impeller and transmission are allowed to sing. Another thing to consider is that the idle noise characteristics of the supercharger is largely influenced by the rotating mass of the engine and 281 inches has less mass than a larger LSx based combination. The crankshaft speed change between cylinder firings is reponsible for the "chatter" heard at idle.

Bottom line, a race blower setup with high stepup and aggressive impeller is going to make some noise in the name of higher performance.

Last edited by andereck; 03-13-2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:11 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Its pretty loud I guess, but at least I always know when the motor is running

Doesnt bother me at all really and I dont need to be stealth driving a 9 second car around, dont know how much I would enjoy it on a daily driver but I kinda like the sound. If one was to seriously street race I'm sure your opponent could spot the turbo under your hood as easy as a blower lol.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

i would buy the procharger just for the sound. i love it!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROLLN
I agree here I love the sound of my DS1C and only wished I had purchased a F1R instead so I would sound like a jet arriving
Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

I think the straight cut spur gears add allot to sound, then add third slinger gear (the self contained lubrication aspect) and you hear gearing more then compressor. The Vortech SQ is much more stealthy.

Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're all loud - granted some worse than others. If you want quiet and fast go with turbos.

Mark
Old 03-13-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
I think the straight cut spur gears add allot to sound, then add third slinger gear (the self contained lubrication aspect) and you hear gearing more then compressor. The Vortech SQ is much more stealthy.

Mike
hmm, i hope that's the case. i'm gonna buy something SOON. man, i'd love to see what that F1 will do on my 408.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
hmm, i hope that's the case. i'm gonna buy something SOON. man, i'd love to see what that F1 will do on my 408.
I pulled my V2-SQ of my old C5 (dead soldier) and compared to D1SC and can tell you it’s 60+% in gearing. Helical versus spur gear makes a huge difference. Then add that thin third slinger lubrication gear which has allot of backlash (contributes to noise).

If your after quite operation you may want to look at others that have helically cut gears.

Oh, even ATI on new smaller superchargers is going with helical gearing.

Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

are you saying that the F1 IS loud or is NOT loud?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ROLLN
hell yess
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Depends on your definition of loud. My opinion is… loud and a dead giveaway.

I have heard numerous ATI products from P to D to F series and manufacturing tolerances influence noise (gearing backlash).

Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdhmi
They're all loud - granted some worse than others. If you want quiet and fast go with turbos.

Mark

Turbos... quiet?? thats a good one
Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Skunkworks
Depends on your definition of loud. My opinion is… loud and a dead giveaway.

I have heard numerous ATI products from P to D to F series and manufacturing tolerances influence noise (gearing backlash).

Mike
Gear backlash only affects the sound at an idle and different engines affect the sound that may be heard as mentioned previously. An engine with a heavy dual mass flywheel will have less of a "chatter" than one with a lighter assembly. This is the reason for a heavy dual mass flywheel to begin with. All ATI ProChargers are set up during assembly to specific target specifications with gearsets matched to their cases. The oil slinger does not contribute to running noise. At least 80% of the sound heard when the engine is off idle is from the impeller. The SQ series Vortech trades friction and side loading for noise. With a larger performance supercharger this is not a tradeoff ATI chooses to make at this point in time. ATI does use helical gearing in some applications that traditionally have a rougher idling condition such as 2,3,4 and some 6 cylinders. These units however aren't loaded as hard as the bigger V-8 application blowers.

Quick Reply: Procharger whistle. annoying