Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

346 Build-up WHOLE LOTTA ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

T 70 isn't so iffy right now until you really lean on it, right now you haven't even turned the wick up. See what it gets you before you decide its too small. No need to spend money if you dont have to.

Here is a cool lil link I found off of turbonetics website(PDF file)

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/downlo...urboMatrix.pdf

They even list the T70 being good for 6-700 for an engine our size.

I'll probably get a the T70, it'll probably be better for what I want. 10's, 600-650, and a quick spooling fast responding daily driver.

J
Old 05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wickedred
I am selling it due to a couple of financial issues that have pooped up. Not a real big deal but I could use the extra cash else where. It is all new in the box and never been used. I was gonna go ahead and use it and have it ready for my 408 and 91.5mm set up when I got ballsy enough to put it in. All that have been sold so I am keeping the car more street oriented. The stock PCM and T70 and more than enough for my goals.

I wish I could help with the heating issue but I would have to get mine running before I can coment on that one.
Man thats sucks, I wish I could get the BS3 from you its a wicked deal, but I think one more "wicked deal" will send the lil woman packing...

Excellent price on it, hope you sell it quick, I also think you'll have fun with a T70, **** a ton of mustang guys run em with great results on turbomustangs.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to see what my t-70 will do once I get my Hi Flo kit and the stage two intercooler. I am shooting for 700 rwhp on 100 octane we shall see. I have a nice set of heads to go with the kit should be real close if not right around there. This is a daily driver/ commuter/ highway killer car.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
T 70 isn't so iffy right now until you really lean on it, right now you haven't even turned the wick up. See what it gets you before you decide its too small. No need to spend money if you dont have to.

Here is a cool lil link I found off of turbonetics website(PDF file)

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/downlo...urboMatrix.pdf

They even list the T70 being good for 6-700 for an engine our size.

I'll probably get a the T70, it'll probably be better for what I want. 10's, 600-650, and a quick spooling fast responding daily driver.

J
Man, those peak numbers sound good for the T-70. What I'm worried about also, however, is the powerband... I've seen some T-67 dyno sheets pushed
after 500 and they pull it, but it drops off a bit at the top end... Oh well, nothing we can do because no one has done this (Max out a T-70 on a 346 LS1) yet! Well, at least not here... I do love the spool, and the sucker loves to spin.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 52172
I am going to see what my t-70 will do once I get my Hi Flo kit and the stage two intercooler. I am shooting for 700 rwhp on 100 octane we shall see. I have a nice set of heads to go with the kit should be real close if not right around there. This is a daily driver/ commuter/ highway killer car.
I gotta keep it strictly 93 octane... Or my lil' woman might be packing, too.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guess I'll have to buy a T70 then..see what happens with it on my car.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, if you're getting an insane deal on one, they're not that much to begin with... You must be getting ONE HELL of a deal then.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

Well the BS3 is SOLD. The big cube big turbo motor went bye bye after I figured in maintenance cost on a drivetrain like that.

I have looked at several build ups on stock cube based LS1 combos's. I made my decision on the T70 for shear street driveablity. I understand that the T70 will probably fall off after 6000rpm's or 550hp or what ever , but how much time do I spend in the area of the rpm and powerband? I set my goals at 550rwhp and 10's in the 1/4. I feel like the spool time on the street with a T70 based turbo is more ideal for me. This thing should spool fast, pull hard to 6000 rpm's, and be tons of fun.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Well, if you're getting an insane deal on one, they're not that much to begin with... You must be getting ONE HELL of a deal then.
Sheit I was hoping you'd give me your T 70

Dammit, back to the drawing board.

Wickedred new that BS3 wouldn't last at that price. Lets hope that lil T 70 can do what we expect of it.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned

I dont think it will be a problem. All I really have left is nickle and dime stuff. Have to assemble my shortblock. 4L80E should be done Friday. Re-order HPtuners with the 2 bar for my 98 Z28. Oil fittings and so on. Simple stuff, that adds up quick.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
They claim 800 hp... I don't know... I mean, some of you guys run HUGE FMIC's and meth to be safe... Having such a smaller FMIC, I know I should run meth for sure to be safe. .....
I was told 850... looking at it, it's very thick. Also, unlike alot of the FMICs, the in and out caps do not have the pipes straight across wasting alot of cooling area by having little air move through them. It's not that no air moves, but ideally one tank would be flipped. This could be unclear, so here is a pic of what I mean abotu the 'wasted' surface area.

Also, hell yes on the meth

Old 05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

J
I have a 70... but my a/r is a .68.. WHy dont you swap out exhaust housings and run a smaller housing.. this would get you the quick spool your looking for...

thats why im running such a small a/r... if I would go bigger a/r my powerband would just shift up more in the rpm range
Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haven't been able to find a smaller a/r for my GT42. I'm lookin at a T 70 with a .96 a/r
FWIW.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wickedred
Well the BS3 is SOLD. The big cube big turbo motor went bye bye after I figured in maintenance cost on a drivetrain like that.

I have looked at several build ups on stock cube based LS1 combos's. I made my decision on the T70 for shear street driveablity. I understand that the T70 will probably fall off after 6000rpm's or 550hp or what ever , but how much time do I spend in the area of the rpm and powerband? I set my goals at 550rwhp and 10's in the 1/4. I feel like the spool time on the street with a T70 based turbo is more ideal for me. This thing should spool fast, pull hard to 6000 rpm's, and be tons of fun.
Well... That sale didn't last long...
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Sheit I was hoping you'd give me your T 70

Dammit, back to the drawing board.

Wickedred new that BS3 wouldn't last at that price. Lets hope that lil T 70 can do what we expect of it.
Well dammit, you guys are convincing me to keep it!

If I manage to stave off the persuasion and stick to my more stupid plan (buying the T-76 this summer for a winter build), I will send you my T-70 for a decent offer... How's that?

I really like getting things right the first time. I don't have a garage and I am VERY limited to what I can do in an apartment. I am going to rely HEAVILY on Revxtreme on basically getting everything done. They're the only good shop around here... And it's six hours away! I really don't have room for experimenting, unfortunately... I wish I did. I'd keep the T-70, wind the bitch up, and if it fell short, upgrade some time afterwards...
Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
I was told 850... looking at it, it's very thick. Also, unlike alot of the FMICs, the in and out caps do not have the pipes straight across wasting alot of cooling area by having little air move through them. It's not that no air moves, but ideally one tank would be flipped. This could be unclear, so here is a pic of what I mean abotu the 'wasted' surface area.

Also, hell yes on the meth

Thanks, Frost. You're right about the thickness... Funny, the design of FMIC's and their efficiency in terms of the air flow's direction has not been addressed that I have noticed... All people are ever concerned with is how fu**ing big the sucker is, period.

You're right about the 850 also. I made an error.

Hey Frost, any thoughts on this?

It seems that everyone that builds a stroker/turbo set-up these days is experiencing overheating issues… Why is this? The increased displacement? After installing my turbo, I NEVER experienced ANY overheating issues whatsoever… Even after one of my fans stopped working completely (the front pusher), I didn’t notice for days until I started overheating in traffic when one hour of idling at a dead stop/occasional crawl had passed. I was relieved to discover my broken fan… Replaced it with a Flex-a-Lite… Problem solved… Stock radiator and a 160 T-Stat… Turbo blanket on the turbo exhaust housing, a healthy quantity of Dex-Cool, and the A/C could be on all day. With a forged set-up (cammed, if it makes a difference, too), should any of this change? Will water temp’s be altered or pushed more in some way that isn’t right now? Might the turbo create more heat? Enough to change things and have me overheating? What’s the proverbial straw here (or combination)? What is causing some of you to overheat while I never do (even some stock motors)???
Old 05-09-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

FMIC discussion has been brought up plenty here in the FI forum,
The OBX, XO racing, ebay intercooler flat out works for PLENTY of fast FI'ed rides here on the board especially for the money and availability.

Jose will even flip the tanks of those style FMIC's for a small fee, if I remember right
Old 05-09-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I stand corrected...
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think you have no overheating because your setup is well-matched. There are alot of variables involved, often, one being overlooked can swing the balance. I didn't have enough fan. If you can swing the $$, get the blanket with the new snail. We were spoiled, our kits came with them.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh, I got the blanket... I'm sure it makes a huge difference. We are a little spoiled, but let me tell you, the pendelum swung the other way when a fan crapped out after one month in traffic 1 hour away from home.

I'm worried about when the pistons/rods, heads, and cam get swapped... Can this throw the "balance." Going stroker usually does... What about stock displacement with a lowered CR?

Quick Reply: 346 Build-up WHOLE LOTTA ?'s