Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Converting from D1 to F1

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Converting from D1 to F1

I currently own a D1SC and am considering upgrading to an F1. What all would be involved in the conversion? Anyone have pics of the F1 installed on an F-Bod LS1? If I am not mistaken the D1 runs out of steam around 750rwhp and am just curious what it will take to push the envelope a little higher.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have considered doing it but there isnt really a big difference between the two except for the step up ratio and the ability to run a larger diameter pulley. An F1 wil bolt right on but its sticks out a little further I believe (1/4" or so) and you will need some new pulleys. It depends what you mean by a 'little' more power..

F1R is what you need if you want to make a big difference

P1SC = 1200cfm
D1SC = 1400cfm
F1 = 1525cfm
F1R = 2000cfm
Old 04-08-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

So the larger pulley I assume would help eliminate belt slippage while still running the same boost levels as the D1?

According to the ATI site the F1 would be good for another 100hp roughly, and have the flexiblility to run another 8k in max impeller speed.

Thanks for the info Kp.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

The F1R would have to be a completely custom install wouldn't it?
Old 04-08-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlkHwk
The F1R would have to be a completely custom install wouldn't it?
Yes as it's quite a bit bigger than the D1 and F1 blowers..

Not sure on the measurements, but it is bigger.. But also it can be done!

Clint
Old 04-08-2006, 06:33 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I believe the F1R bolts on to the same bracket but its quite a bit larger overall. You would have to move the radiatior forward and what not. Andereck posted some info about this a short while ago and he works for ATI and seemed very knowledgable so I would trust his info..

Yes the F1 can make 100 more HP but would suffer from the same probelm as the D1 with the restrictive ATI inlet hat, probably a D1 without the inlet hat would make as much power as the F1 with it. If you could get a good deal on an F1 where it would cost little to upgrade it would be a good idea but I probably wouldnt spend 1500.00 to do so. I would concentrate on getting all there was to get out of the D1 first

Bigger pulley = less chance for belt slip but I dont see any problem with this SDCE maxing out a D1. The ATI 8 rib would probbaly benefit from the larger F1 blower pulley though.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kp
I would concentrate on getting all there was to get out of the D1 first
I will try and see what I can get out of it first. I am waiting on my new engine and will run it NA for a while to make sure all is good and then put the blower back on. So it will be a little while before I can see what she is really gonna do. I found the post by Andereck, Thanks
Old 04-08-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I currently own a D1SC and am considering upgrading to an F1. What all would be involved in the conversion? Anyone have pics of the F1 installed on an F-Bod LS1? If I am not mistaken the D1 runs out of steam around 750rwhp and am just curious what it will take to push the envelope a little higher.
I have performed this swap, I started with a D-1SC, went to the F-1, then to the F-1R, then finally with what I have now the F1-C. The major differences include, bigger air inlet, and ability to run a larger pully because the impeller can withstand higher RPMs. The step in transmission in the blower will bring the power on sooner than the D-1SC.

I will tell you this. The little air inlent piece that came with your D-1SC kit will not work for several reason, but mainly because the the sharper the turn getting the air to the blower the less air that will get in. The radius of that turn makes more of a differenct on how much power the procharger setups make than anything else. You will have to fabricate something to get air to the F-1. I know this from experience. Lots of people have made it work, but to do it correctly, you most likely will have to move the bottom of the radiator forward some to make the inlet radius less severe.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

We recently picked up two pounds of boost with a D-1SC by swapping out the tight air inlet ATI piece to a 4" elbow and a larger filter. The bottom of the radiator had to be moved out, which was very easy to do. This ProChargers boost went from 14 psi to 16 psi, and belt slippage has been non existant since we enlarged the air inlet. This car still has the stock ATI brackets to boot. Bob
Old 04-09-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like the F1 is going to be the way I will eventually need to go. I think the D1 will be quickly maxed out on my new engine combo. I have an 8.5" 8 rib crank pulley I had made a couple of years ago to eliminate belt slip (before the SDCE setup) but still have yet to try it out. When the blower goes back on will be the time to test it out.

Bob, how far forward did you have to move the radiator? Looks like if I go with the F1 it will have to be moved anyway. what all was involved in moving it? I will be keeping the A/C and it looks like the condensor is as far forward as it can go now. I will look closer when the engine is out.

How about some pics of the 4" inlet and filter?

I have been waiting patiently for pics since I read about it on Mike's car.

Last edited by BlkHwk; 04-09-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see pics of the hat and filter too bob. Thanks
Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the F1 is going to be the way I will eventually need to go. I think the D1 will be quickly maxed out on my new engine combo. I have an 8.5" 8 rib crank pulley I had made a couple of years ago to eliminate belt slip (before the SDCE setup) but still have yet to try it out. When the blower goes back on will be the time to test it out.

Bob, how far forward did you have to move the radiator? Looks like if I go with the F1 it will have to be moved anyway. what all was involved in moving it? I will be keeping the A/C and it looks like the condensor is as far forward as it can go now. I will look closer when the engine is out.

I have been waiting paitiently for pics since I read about it on Mike's car.
I have a 8" Crank pulley, and Mine is pretty close to the J bracket. I can see your will be a lot closer almost touching it I'll bet..

Take care.

Clint
Old 04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very curiuous here on the Inlet hat and radiator part.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id also like to see it if you have any pics.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't say the D1 runs out of steam at 750rwhp because that's based on the motor. I would say it runs out at 16psi or so... If the motor sucks, no blower in the world will make over 750 at the tire. I run 10psi on my setup for my numbers on 91, imagine what 14psi would do. Yeah the block would let go for sure, but pretend it held up. Then picture that with the right heads and bottom end to support agressive tuning.

The F1 is a badass blower though, but make sure the setup is ready to complement such a blower so you're not mad if you make crap power.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HUGGER ORANGE SS
I have a 8" Crank pulley, and Mine is pretty close to the J bracket. I can see your will be a lot closer almost touching it I'll bet..

Take care.

Clint
8.5 in. is what Scottywheels used to run on his F1 procharged fbody a few years back. @ That time he was running 15psi no slip.

I sure hope it works. It wasn't cheap to have this puppy cut out.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I wouldn't say the D1 runs out of steam at 750rwhp because that's based on the motor. I would say it runs out at 16psi or so... If the motor sucks, no blower in the world will make over 750 at the tire. I run 10psi on my setup for my numbers on 91, imagine what 14psi would do. Yeah the block would let go for sure, but pretend it held up. Then picture that with the right heads and bottom end to support agressive tuning.

The F1 is a badass blower though, but make sure the setup is ready to complement such a blower so you're not mad if you make crap power.
My new engine will suck!! A lot of freakin air

Its not all about PSI. Nor is it all about the motor. (Although you need a pretty solid shortblock to take the abuse) Basically max output from a blower motor is all dependant on the max output of the blower itself measured in CFM. The D1 is capable of putting out a max of 1400 CFM which according to the ATI website is good to about 900 flywheel hp.

Thanks for the heads up Drewstein, I have tried to take the necessary precautions to make sure this thing holds together.

BTW nice numbers in your sig.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

I have been waiting patiently for pics since I read about it on Mike's car.
I'll try to get some pic's today. I'm not sure if you would be able to keep the condensor though. Bob
Old 04-10-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Old 04-10-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

So moving the radiator to clear the F1 means no AC. Damn.

Is it the F1-C up or even the F1 itself?

Quick Reply: Converting from D1 to F1