stall-500 from member
th400 misc-600ish
more gauges-300
lifters-200
rims and tires-800(prostars)
Old 10-11-2008, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see mods moved it here.

Yes, I found the article to be a straight forward explaining that if anyone think just getting sc or turbo is the only thing he needs to enter forced induction (FI) world is a big mistake. Engine management, tuning is a very important along with guages to monitor things and constant maintenance. Another words you've gotta pay to play.

Edited

Last edited by Ryan K; 11-09-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Default Turbo Knowledge

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
Many people ask "I have this much money, can i turbo/SC my car?". And there really isnt any place that they can turn for the help they need. So i have put this together to help others out.
Let me first start by saying i originally figured my build would cost around 7,000-7,500 dollars. Well, in the end it came out to 10,500-11,000 dollars. It suprised me but iam not new to turbocharging and i expected this, so i had the additional funds. Well, I have just finished buying everything that i needed D

THE PARTS:

THE TURBO KIT (or supercharger): The average Kits range from $4500-$6500 and most include the needed things like a BOV, wastegate, Intercooler, turbo, SC head unit and piping. Only Vortech and ATI include fueling parts, but when going 500HP+ i would upgrade these parts anyway. REQUIRED

FUEL PUMP: I went with the Racetronix P&P fuel system, it is easy to install and gives the required amount of fuel. They retail for $265. Another addition to this if you are going for alot of power is a BAP that increases the voltage to the pump and they cost around $250. EDIT* My racetronix pump was no were near enough fuel for the 9psi i currently run, so i upgraded to a twin in-tank walbro system put together by my shop/tuner: Masport Speed Shop REQUIRED

INJECTORS: When it came to injectors i figured i might as well get a big size now instead of upgrading later, which always happens anyway. So i went with 60LB motorons injectors which seem to be very popular and cost $425. REQUIRED

6.0L HEADS: The idea of puting these on your ls1 is that they lower your compression normaly about a full point which allows you to safely boost more. They also flow alittle better, like the LS6 heads. I bought them used and assembled for $300, although i only used the valves from them. RECOMMENDED

CAMSHAFT: My original plan was to go with a new or low mileage used Z06/LS6 cam. But i then looked around and found other ones that i liked more and i setteled with the Lingenfelter GT-7. although a cam isnt really needed for 450HP, over 500HP it will definetly help. The cam will range between $150 (used) to $380 (brand new GT-7). RECOMMENDED

VALVE SPRINGS: Because your engine will see serious pressure under boost your stock valvesprings will not have enough pressure to seal against the head, and therefore need to be upgraded to 918s at the minimum. I went with the Patriot Dual Valvespring kit, which are a great deal at $245. REQUIRED

TIMING CHAIN: The stock LS1 chain is pretty weak and with those new valve springs it will se alot more pressure and needs to be upgraded. You can buy a hardened single timing chain (like LS2) or a dual. i bought the rollmaster dual timing chain for $110 REQUIRED

PUSHRODS: Because of the new cam/valve springs the pushrods are another weak link that needs to be upgraded. i went with 7.400" manleys for $130 REQUIRED

OIL PUMP: The stock ls1 pumps were never all that great and even though my stock one made almost 60 psi at idle, u can never have to much oil, so i ordered a ported and blueprinted one from Byunspeed for $160 OPTIONAL

HEAD BOLTS: The heads will see alot of pressure from the turbo and should be upgraded to ARP bolts or studs. They should also be upgraded because you are changing your heads. i got the ARP head bolts for $130 REQUIRED

CLUTCH: The stock clutch has pretty much no chance of holding anything near 500RWHP and should be changed. You can go with weaker clutchs and change them every 5,000 miles or you can go with a very good one (for a price) that can last a very very long time. i went with the Textralia for $975. REQUIRED

GAUGE POD: To keep track of everything going on in your new turbo/SC system you are going to need some gauges and a gauge pod to hold them. you can choose between many ways of mounting the gauges. I got the triple pillar pod from autometer for $55 OPTIONAL

BOOST GAUGE: You will need this to see how much your turbo/SC is boosting while you are driving/racing. Also you can use it to see boost spikes and to tell if there is boost leak etc. You can choose between an electric one or a mechanical one. i got the Autometer mechanical 20psi Cobalt boost gauge for $70, the electrical version is 30psi and $180. HIGHLY RECOMMEDED

FUEL GAUGE: You will need this to make sure you have the right amount of fuel pressure for your engine etc. i got the autometer electric 0-100psi Cobalt gauge for $190 HIGHLY RECOMMEDED

WIDEBAND O2 SENSOR: This in my opinion is very important for many reasons. it will let you constintly moniter your engine A/F even at idle, which can alert you to problems very early on. It is also a great tuning device. they range from 250-500. i got the dynotune one for $265 REQUIRED

BOOST CONTROLLER: A boost controller uses the pressure that is made from your turbo system to control the opening of the wastegate. In turn, this causes the wastgate to stay closed more, thus creating more pressure in your exhaust that then spins the turbo faster and creates more psi (boost pressure). They range from mechanical ones for $70 all the way up to electric ones that can actually control boost spikes, they run up to $500. This is the only thing on the list that i didn't buy.... but i will after i get beat for the first time. OPTIONAL

METHANOL INJECTION: i have just recently done research pertaining to meth injection and the more i hear and read about it, the more i like it. when a meth kit is installed it lowers your IAT up to 40 degrees and makes your gas the equivelent of some say 110+ octane. this allows you to run more boost and be alot safer. here is the basic idea of a meth kit, they are standalone pumps with a bottle/container with the meth/water, when they sense boost they spray the meth relative to boost when its needed. there are also safety systems that can be purchased to insure that if the meth dosent flow (i.e it runs out) the car wont boost and cause damage to the engine. Companys like Snow Performance and Alkycontrol sell these kits, they run from $300-$550. a good safety system is around $100. OPTIONAL

GOOD TUNE: This is important on any car, and the same goes for a FI car. they range from doing it yourself (which isnt to easy) to getting it professionly done for around $450. If you are interested in doing it yourself you have a couple choices, here are a few, HP TUNERS, EFIlive, MAFT PRO and LS1edit REQUIRED

RANDOM PARTS & GASKETS: There are always a bunch of these things you need to buy. Here are a couple, new crank bolt (ARP $30), front crank seal ($23), 6.0L head gaskets ($60), valve spring tool (crane $115), Coolant to refill radiator, oil to do oil change, RVT gasket maker, loctite and a couple specialty tools, like torque wench. pulley puller, long and short sockets, ramps, good floor jack, etc. REQUIRED

And you supercharger people, dont forget about headers and exhaust!

In addition to all this, remember all the installation work was done by me, so that didnt cost anything, if you plan on paying someone just imagine the amount of work, so be prepared to pay. Also none of this includes suspension componets or a rear end, which will most likely not last long with 500RWHP+.
Well i hope this helps some people out, and if its good enough it would be cool if it was a sticky!

JOSH
Thanks for the info, Josh. We talked over LS-1 tech before. I'm gonna hold off for a couple of months. I'm gonna buy my wife a Camaro this month (a suprise for her). She's gonna love this. After the turbo kit's installed, i may drive down or trailer down to your shop and let you work your magic. Send me your address at your convenience. Thanks and i'll be in touch.

Trnsfmr99
Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 AM
Banned

Yeah, this is a good writeup. I just spent approx. 7k on my blower setup. Already had headers, exhaust, did not go with aftermarket heads either and still have to get this **** installed.

FI is not cheap, but I think it makes better power than any other route you could go.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Teching In

I don't know if it has been said yet but nobody should ever put a power adder on a motor unless they are capable of forging the motor if it were needed. Besides the thousands on the kit, installation and hardware; While running a power adder of any kind you always need to be aware that a motor can break at any time.
My motor ran excellent for 2 years and a slight mistake in a tune adjustment lead to loosing the engine... Lesson learned you should always be preparred.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

awsome write up!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

thanx 4 the post

great summary and advice

thanx agian
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

Great summary. Very helpfull.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

good right up...although i am at like 6k i have a single turbo car. i need an upgraded tranny but i have an auto
Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow i think Josh really had a great post, very helpful. But i was wondering...he didnt metion anything about upgrading your trans. do you have to do that? i have a 02 LS1 w/ a 6speed. and of course like almost everyone in here im getting tired of 350 to the wheels and im ready to go boost. so i was wondering will the tranny be ok stock?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Assuming you have a good clutch and your T56 is in good shape itll be fine. As a suggestion id read over my post i was asked to make in the Manual Transmission section sticky
https://ls1tech.com/forums/7251948-post29.html
Old 05-17-2009, 05:48 PM
12 Second Club

thanks ddnspider
Old 05-17-2009, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Oh almost forgot i also noticed they're wasnt anything about forged pistons, rings or rods. im sure they would also need to be upgraded from stock due to the compression and heat..right?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant wait till I get an APS Kit
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Supercharger kit - $6,000
BOV or wastegate - in kit
Intercooler - in kit
upgraded fuel pump - $275
60lb injectors -$400
port & polished heads (or LS2 heads) - $2500 ( used around $600)
boost CAM - $350
valve springs - $250
timing chain - $100
push rods -$130
upgraded oil pump - $160
gauge pod w/ boost gauge, fuel pressure, oil pressure, and A/F mixture - $650
wideband O2 sensor- $250
gaskets - $75
upgraded header bolts - $50
and of course a new ECU tuning! -$200

To safely run boost, cost is $9,000 - $12,000
and of course make sure you got a clutch , flywheel , and rearend setup to hold it all, and this is if your going big on boost. but could someone tell me, if all im looking for is around 550-600 to the wheels ( 600-650 to the flywheel) what parts off that list or extra that i do not have listed will i need to SAFELY achieve that HP and not have to worry about blowing my engine up? id rather not buy everything on that list to set my car up to hold 900+ if all i need it to hold is 600. anyone think they could help?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

The headder bolts? maybe the oil pump to...I run stock...you need everything else and probably some extra stuff...could get cheaper heads too
Old 07-30-2009, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

So i need everything on the list except the oil pump and header bolts? hey i was wondering yours says your at 580 with the stock rearend, how is that possible? ive seen guys with just bolt ons snap em on wet roads? well if i need all that i might as well build it to hold 900 so that way at 600 i wont worry about breaking anything ya know?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

I agree and I'm actually getting a rear end within the next couple weeks lol...I've just never launched the car hard..hence the 11.8's at 122ish with 1.9 60's lol...I'm hoping to break into the 10's with a 9in
Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

well thanks for the advise ..now its time to start saving up money for that huge laundry list of parts :/
Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Nice write up. I've sunk over $40K into mine, not including what I paid for the truck. I thought of all the possible issues and problems I might have down the road. I didn't want to build a 6000# hand granade. Many people build a strong motor but the vehicle can't handle the power. I have $20K in the motor, $10K in the turbo related stuff and over $10k in beefing up the driveline. There are still issues even when looking this far into the future. Turbos generate a lot of heat, so ceramic coating and wrapping the exhaust and wrapping all wires is a must. Much of the electronics associated with todays cars will need to be relocated, away from the turbos and exhaust. Heat shield everything. These all add up to more money...none of which was included in my prices I've listed here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Real Price of Forced Induction