Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TurboLS1SS, I'm almost ready for ya...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To a large extent, cast and/or log manifolds vs tubular is just a question of sizing the turbine side correctly…, with the right parts assuming a reasonably designed log and well matched turbine you shouldn’t be able to see a power difference up top and should spool the same or faster.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:03 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, all we need is APE or ARE to jump into the internal engine section and start bashing engine shops that are still in business.

I can only say I'm shocked and amazed that someone who seems to be so busy that he can't deliver a kit has time to spend browsing threads that don't involve his product.

In fact, other than thread involving "Where are my parts" I'd think you be focusing more on getting stuff built and delivered rather than bashing somone who actually shipped some parts.

Any idea when we might expect to see more tracking numbers and fewer jabs at folks who actully got their order?

The world awaits...
Old 08-31-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we dont need more tracking numbers we need tracking numbers that work. none of the supplied tracking numbers work.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow Since smokinhawk asked I won't comment on Bill's post.

Anyway, Jammer the kit looks awesome . I am very interested to see this come together. I have been talking to John at turbozone for 3 weeks about a modified single kit for my car, but I would love to see what your twins do.

I am sure you can also vouch for turbozones customer service. In my opinion it is outstanding. I think you made a good choice you wont regret.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Hey, soon enough you guys can see my single truck kit from Turbo-Zone. If un-named sponsor had sent me my entire fuel system instead of most of it and if Summitt hadn't fucked up my ATI hub and if the Powder coater in NY would get his head out of his *** you would have seen it by now. Now, we wait, and wait, and wait.

Kit looks good Jammer. Nice Job John.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Restricted User

Wow, we must have hit the big time getting bashed by a suspended poster.

To the other people posting, thanks for all the compliments.

Some FYI: the kit is Stainless and TIG welded, it was a custom one-off kit per the request of the customer to fit his turbos, the Tial product is co-owned by Garrett who has 90% of the turbo market share and the IC (not eBay - but there are similar units) is a bar and plate core which works excellent and is inexpensive, therby keeping costs and labor down...which is returned to the customer by a decently priced product which is DELIVERED QUICKLY.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

John, we know you use quality stuff through out your turbo kits. No need to explain that to us.

Can't wait to see what Jammers car throws down with this set up.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys, I just want to say thanks for the encouragement and positive posts. Having J-Rod post just bakes my cake as I read all of his posts , back to the beloved and infamous camshaft threads. If you missed them, go study them.
As for the kit, I sit here with hands dirty, and facing a few obsticals. In 3 hours we had the front end off and kit "loosly mounted" We were missing IC brackets so that couldent be securely fitted. John will be hand delivering them tomorrow and making much needed adjustments to some cold piping. There is also one issue to investigate further that has to due with oil drain back, as this kit leaves the path almost level, rather than draining down to the oil pan bungs. As far as Johns customer service, so far he has always returned calls, even when it would have been easier to hide. To top it off, he will coming 2+ hours to bring the IC brackets and some sway bar spacers and to make cold pipe adjustments. That, assuming it happens, is customer service unlike most others would dream of providing, if it doesnt, with him knowing my extreme time frame, then its a huge upset.
Johns a nice guy, operating out of a small shop, and takes on challenging projects. There were moments I was going to throw in the towel, but he isnt afraid to address an issue, and I will let you fioks that are interested, continue to follow the thread and follow on the progress. I did not expect immediate perfection, and I do know he wanted to provide that...so I have faith any adjustments needed along the way will be dealt with by him.
For those that have PM'd me, was Turbo-Zone trustworthy, easy, hows the quality etc.. I can say that Im happy with the quality, and, yes, there were delays, some beyond his control, others perhaps not, but in the end, I got the kit in short order, and as long as the follow-up with him is there, the complaints will be minimial considering the job at hand.
The hot parts went right on. Location of the turbos is decent, a little close to the fan shroud (touching at one area), and the downpipes made it through the "K" without much hassle at all. I had to move the cruise control box over about 1 inch , had to trim a small area on the radiator support, and trim some of the bumper support (this trimming is not complete yet). I am adding flex pipes to the end of the downpipes and the kit was lacking oil return lines so I need to get those.

I will run off the gate springs for now at about .9 bar, as long as the kit design allows it, as I think it should without issue.

Benifits: Quick in comparison, good quality, easy plug changes, durable, and apparently support after the sale, pricing is fair, John has all his teeth and lastly, he's not related to Chris Jelly.
Cons: Lose A/C (I have a convertable, and only drive with top down, or Im in another car), relocating alternator...(havent done yet, but seems straight forward), movement of a few wires, trimming some metal, and being his 1st delivered twin kit requires some ability to deal with an obsticle if it arises.

All in all, assuming all goes well with the cold pipe adjustment and oil drainback, then this is a very viable kit.

I will continue to post updates as long as people are interested, and will post experiences and divulge things as time goes on.

Last edited by Jammer; 09-01-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

I will keep you all updated, but there are some other things that could inhibit me from hitting the streets as soon as I hoped.

Last edited by Jammer; 09-02-2006 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 PM
Restricted User

Jammer, your an Awesome MF'er, and I mean that in the most respectful manner. You have unleashed more turbo tech, R&D etc than 75% of the religious Turbo Forum readers have absorbed. Play on playa.

J-Rod, you forgot FFHP in your list of comeback kids from the "we fucked LS1Tech clan!"
Old 08-31-2006, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ddnspider
my opinion is after seeing Jammers list of cars in the last year i wanna do what he does for a living
LOL, dont work for anyone else and get involved with computers for a few years before Y3K, then get involved with real estate before the next boom... you cant take money to the grave.

Oh, and Cat, thanks man, really. I just try to spread what I have experienced and what I read, and I read alot. I have read so much that no mortal could live to the standard of what should be... thats why Im getting bitter with age.
Remember the days of Corky Bell, and his demands to only weld the inside of the pipe to the flange, and stitch the outside...see anyone do that? Not really...what about splitting the header flange, or being sure the bolt holes and each end of the flange be drilled out to allow for expansion and limit flange warping and protect against bolt shear... I mean, the issue is mainly... to do things as they should be...often results in something not much better , or any better than the "norm". That my friend, is what I am learning. You can get 90% satisfaction easily... shoot for the other 10%, and that 10% will kill you most of the time.
Im here to share, occassionally bitch, and to learn. This is one of the best forums in the world for that. What I care about now, is actual experiences of others.

And J-Rod...since you brought up APE... heres a picture of their custom sanitary engine paint room (as described on the telephone to customers)... I cought them in action on this one...when I poped in unannounced.... (10 hours drive to do that dammit)

Last edited by Jammer; 09-01-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jammer
Babies, t3 t4 hybrids.

that's sweet. i'm in the same boat except mine is going to take a lot longer than yours to get running
Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep us posted Jammer. We all need folks like you to beta test everything for the masses.

Good luck with the project...
Old 09-02-2006, 03:51 AM
TECH Junkie

John from T-Zone is no doubt one of the nicest people you will meet. He came here and arrived with wife in tow..at 1 am, and had a welder with him to make some adjustments to some cold piping. We talked about some potential future changes and how he would like to have the kit to build future kits from as well. As I stated before, quality is all there, but as with any new kit, theres always a "I coulda done this or that"... and the most impressive part is his "desire" to help, his offers to modify and his almost "need" to be a perfectionist.
We are contenplating on the next step... wheather to complete / modify this to make some aspects "better" or not. In any event, there is a benifit to all for me to perhaps step back the rush and let John make any adjustments as desired, and make jigs from the kit for future customers, he had no chance to do that since I took the kit while the pipes were still hot from his welding... litterally.
With that said, theres a fair chance we wont see this on the road as soon as thought. He or I will update as developments occur.

For now, TurboLS1SS, I'll have to hand you the win. You must be racking them up!

.Parden the mess! and ignore the pipe in the backround...its resting on the lift...not installed... just bad placement during the pic.

Last edited by Jammer; 09-02-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jammer
John from T-Zone is no doubt one of the nicest people you will meet. He came here and arrived with wife in tow..at 1 am, and had a welder with him to make some adjustments to some cold piping. We talked about some potential future changes and how he would like to have the kit to build future kits from as well. As I stated before, quality is all there, but as with any new kit, theres always a "I coulda done this or that"... and the most impressive part is his "desire" to help, his offers to modify and his almost "need" to be a perfectionist.
We are contenplating on the next step... wheather to complete / modify this to make some aspects "better" or not. In any event, there is a benifit to all for me to perhaps step back the rush and let John make any adjustments as desired, and make jigs from the kit for future customers, he had no chance to do that since I took the kit while the pipes were still hot from his welding... litterally.
With that said, theres a fair chance we wont see this on the road as soon as thought. He or I will update as developments occur.

For now, TurboLS1SS, I'll have to hand you the win. You must be racking them up!

you could get it running and then take it off
Old 09-06-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

so did you end up installing it or no?
Old 09-07-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Second Club

hey man....good luck gettin ur **** together. it never goes together as fast/smoothly as planned. i wouldnt be able to make it all the way down the track anyway due to inefficient gearing. i plan on swapping over the winter, but just dont have the money/time to be swapping the gears at the moment.

made it to NYIRP tonight tho....
heres the thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/571784-hi-flo-track-times-videos-come.html
Old 09-07-2006, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Jammer, great post!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribing! Excellent post Jammer! And WOW to Hi Flo on knocking another sponsors kit! That takes ***** of steel!
Old 09-12-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I have returned the kit to Turbo Zone ..... not for quality issues, but I was installing the kit for an event on September 7, and had some issues with the car along with some needed cold pipe adjustments at the time, so I decided not to run the kit and instead to move forward with something I had been planning to do over the long winter. Basically, I would have run it for Aug, Sept and October (as was always intended) and sold it anyway, and since I missed my event, I chose to move on to something I already had parts for (have to wait and see). Couple this with the fact John didnt have a good chance to make the Jigs , he isnt arguing.

I beleive this kit is going to be, or is for sale if they contact John.... This was a custom kit as it is stainless, and bolts to truck manifolds.

Quick Reply: TurboLS1SS, I'm almost ready for ya...