Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone used a Holset HX40 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone used a Holset HX40 turbo?

They can be had cheaply. I was just wondering if it would be worth it on an extreme budget front mount kit. I'd upgrade later when $$$ alows to a better suited turbo. But these seem to be around 70mm and thought they might be a good starter. What are your thoughts BESIDES do it right the first time. I'm poor and upgrade as I can.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snketr
They can be had cheaply. I was just wondering if it would be worth it on an extreme budget front mount kit. I'd upgrade later when $$$ alows to a better suited turbo. But these seem to be around 70mm and thought they might be a good starter. What are your thoughts BESIDES do it right the first time. I'm poor and upgrade as I can.
They are ok for low boost apps....maybe 6-8psi. The bearing structure in the units is horrible and won't stand to any amount of abuse.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, thanks. I'll be building my setup with one of these and upgrade to a Precision or whatever you guys reccomend when I have the funds.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have used holset turbos for diy turbos, since 1997
never had probs with them, even low 11's on 1 car
they work, if they are in good condition and rebuilt
Old 12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holset turbos are used on Cummins

They seem to hold up pretty well
Old 09-27-2008, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know the difference between the hx40 and the hx40w?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

I was told that "w" is for wastegate.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Nothing wrong with a Holset turbo… lots of buddies using them on dodge trucks with some of them in the 40+ PSI range... The only problems they’ve had are tranny parts laying on the ground

I have a HX55 on the shelf to try as a rear mount some day...
Old 09-28-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by valiant65
I was told that "w" is for wastegate.
thank you sir!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm..many people run them on their dsms..thats lasers/talons/eclipse. Buddy had one and was doing some great numbers with it,no problems with it at all. And high boost levels like 20 plus psi . So not sure what Dr. Turbo is talking about .They are as said used a lot on trucks.

I personally run garett on my talon.Borg warner also has some interesting stuff with some nice technology happening. Think we are going to be seeing some great new things in turbo tech in next few years. Biggest improvement would be magnetic bearings requiring no oil or water lines and with the reduced friction of magnetic bearings should see super quick spool up at very low rpm. It will be the turbo golden age.
Bet within 5 years we see them hitting the market.

Imagine how much simpler it would be to install with no oil and water lines and more reliable as well. Some current turbos use only oil lines no water lines.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
9 Second Club

i installed hx35 on a saturn ion redline. we run 21-28psi depending on tune. it has been taking a beating. and makes some good numbers for a budget turbo. the only thing i didn't like is the lack of finding fittings and clamps for it. this was a couple years ago so i am sure it has changed.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm..many people run them on their dsms..thats lasers/talons/eclipse. Buddy had one and was doing some great numbers with it,no problems with it at all. And high boost levels like 20 plus psi . So not sure what Dr. Turbo is talking about .They are as said used a lot on trucks.

I personally run garett on my talon.Borg warner also has some interesting stuff with some nice technology happening. Think we are going to be seeing some great new things in turbo tech in next few years. Biggest improvement would be magnetic bearings requiring no oil or water lines and with the reduced friction of magnetic bearings should see super quick spool up at very low rpm. It will be the turbo golden age.
Bet within 5 years we see them hitting the market.

Imagine how much simpler it would be to install with no oil and water lines and more reliable as well. Some current turbos use only oil lines no water lines.
Our sled pulling customers destroy them....we have a shelf full of Holset units that the shafts are sheared. Common problem when they are fueled hard and run high EGT's.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did I miss something?

Dr Turbo, in your first post you said 6-8 psi and they are not very reliable? Then person after person comes on sayngthey run them on cummings , dsms, saturn's etc, and now you post that you have a shelf full from sled pullers?

That doesnt even make sence, most sled pullers run huge amounts of boost.........75+ psi.......I ve been running one for the last 40 k miles at 60 psi total through a non waistgated compound set up. This would be virtually identical to the sled pullers, and the argument is that the primary doesnt see the huge boost, only 30-40 psi ussually, but still how do you make the first statement then the second regarding sled pullers? I must have missed something.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's talking about sled pullers that had the shaft sheared. They don't hold up to RIDICULOUS amounts of boost, pulling serious loads, with serious power, where EGT's are sky high. On any of our cars, it would be perfectly fine, ESPECIALLY on low boost.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1320
Did I miss something?

Dr Turbo, in your first post you said 6-8 psi and they are not very reliable? Then person after person comes on sayngthey run them on cummings , dsms, saturn's etc, and now you post that you have a shelf full from sled pullers?

That doesnt even make sence, most sled pullers run huge amounts of boost.........75+ psi.......I ve been running one for the last 40 k miles at 60 psi total through a non waistgated compound set up. This would be virtually identical to the sled pullers, and the argument is that the primary doesnt see the huge boost, only 30-40 psi ussually, but still how do you make the first statement then the second regarding sled pullers? I must have missed something.
Your not following what I'm saying. They are fine for low boost......if you start putting big loads on them they will not survive. Not saying a LSX based vehicle would. Just saying once you start putting them under a high shaft speed and high load condition they will not last long at all. Also 6-8 psi I say, because on a LSX based motor, anymore then that with a HX40 will run well off the map depending on the model. Most HX40's are small inducer turbos.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Also we are working on performance Holset chargers for the gas guys.....so hopefully will get them into the ball game. Billet wheels, Ti and from 62mm to 105mm.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Any turbo whether a Holset, Garrett or whatever running out of its intended range is just asking for trouble... If a Holset turbo was sized for the application it should hold up just as well as any other major manufacture... I would think the only reason for the failed Holsets on the shelf was due to the severe use from sled pulling, 50+ PSI and running off the compressor map...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by StingrayCrazy
Any turbo whether a Holset, Garrett or whatever running out of its intended range is just asking for trouble... If a Holset turbo was sized for the application it should hold up just as well as any other major manufacture... I would think the only reason for the failed Holsets on the shelf was due to the severe use from sled pulling, 50+ PSI and running off the compressor map...
Not always...some units use better shaft sizes, journal spacing (wide vs narrow spacing), larger thrust assemblies, ...etc..etc and can be the exact same size wheel size.

Quick Reply: Anyone used a Holset HX40 turbo?