Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS install pics... and stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
well guys, I'm a little pissed/dissapointed but for what I have in the car its not bad at all i think.

5psi to the dot, no intercooler of any sort, no meth, no nothing , just bolting the kit on the car and going with a tune: she made 423HP and 431TQ SAE.

I don't know why the tq number isn't higher like all the other cars, I'm still running the stock cam, stock heads, etc etc. I will get the dyno graph up soon
These numbers are through the 10bolt and STOCK internal motor. Also, the IAT's were around 80-130

We are going to invest in an air-water IC and 7psi
i will post numbers and how we mounted the IC as I have some neat ideas..that to come

Last edited by ZL1Killa; 03-11-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bah; get meth

First log here of a S/C car with no IC @ 7psi, just in 4th gear. Locate the IAT in the second group of pens on the left at 174 degF. This was on a 95ish degree day. Notice the 12deg of timing. Don't look at the speed

Here is the next log with some meth. The IAT pen is green on this cap. Look at the IATs below ambient...

Old 03-11-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's awesome Frost...go timing! That's amazing what it will do. I can't believe your IAT's could even be that high!

I have an STS meth kit sitting in my garage...I need to sell it!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasn't my setup but it was one I worked with... Yeah that cooler air charge and that 7deg bump in the timing make NIGHT AND DAY difference.

Just make sure that the kit you get is a good one; don't wanna skimp here.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
That's awesome Frost...go timing! That's amazing what it will do. I can't believe your IAT's could even be that high!

I have an STS meth kit sitting in my garage...I need to sell it!
lol, what meth kit is it?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Good numbers, Killa. Thx for keeping us updated.
Can't wait to see what you come up with for an intercooler. Or have you decided to go meth instead?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Good numbers, Killa. Thx for keeping us updated.
Can't wait to see what you come up with for an intercooler. Or have you decided to go meth instead?
I haven't made up my mind about it yet. From what FROST has told me and what I have seen from him the meth is freakin sweet. I have seen two guys even with meth kits on there cars mess up there blocks, don't remember the exact kits they were using but I'm trying to keep mine under as little stress as I can.... at least somewhat. the meth would create a good bit of transient stress and the temps would change dramatically. being that this car is only a street driven car and is for fun, and other methods can be made to cool the intake, I have plenty of time to think about it and I will see about having something before summertime. also, since I'm not making the 500TQ number i though, the 10 bolt will probably stay for now lol.

problem with chilling an AIR-air or air-water is if you go below the dew point or at the dew point temp and you start getting water in the intake due to the inside of the pipes condensating. or do they have a method of preventing that?? idk the meth seems like a good choice though
Old 03-12-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

A little water in the intake pipes never hurt anything...

Unfortunately, on my custom FMIC, i used mild steel and painted the outside. It's possible that over a lot of time, the insides could start to rust...but I'm not really that worried about it now. I painted the shiznit on the outside so at least the integrity of the pipes will hold!

TRT sells a bolt-on FMIC kit made out of aluminum. IMHO, I should have gone that route verses doing it myself.

Like I said Killa, I made 433 and 441 @ 5psi through the FMIC. Unless you plan on turning up the boost, I don't see the sense in gaining 10hp and 10tq w/ the FMIC seeing as how much it cost. I only did it b/c I'm turning up the boost. After I wrap the exhaust, I should be putting down closer to 7-7.5psi
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

IAT's seem to be a problem even in 5psi setups with no FMIC, so it seems that an IC is necessary. Are you guys getting by with no IC? In a daily driver?
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Banned

Default painted

If you painted the intercooler, wouldn't that hurt the effenicy of the FMIC. The heat transfer across the intercooler would be less due to the insulating of the paint on the intercooler.

I was going to hide the one on my truck to be sneaky, but I was going to use a majic marker. I never did though. (The statement above is theory!!! I didn't prove this, so that's why I'm posting this)

Not bashing at all, just wondering what king of temps you are seeing with the painted intercooler.

Thanks

D Moss
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

i will be running a air-water IC more than likely..locate it where the battery was (i'm moving mine to the back)
Old 04-02-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

guys and gals... i will have some more pics of what i have most recently done...which still isn't finished as school as intervened... of course, lol. will have pics up saturday the 7th.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what intercooler did you go with? hurry with those pics lol
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

lol. i will have some pics this weekend. at least of what exhaust thing we have done :sneaky:

here is the HP dyno graph.. couldn't get a TQ number from this ..something was messed up with rack/car reading correctly
Old 04-03-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

This thread keeps getting resurected...lol.

I'd like to see some pics, just to see what other fellow FMIC guys are doing. I was pretty pleased with my setup but it did take a lot of time and fabrication.

@ 5psi I made 433 and 441 w/ 18 degrees of timing through the FMIC. I'm actually running 7ish psi now, but didn't get it re-dyno'd due to time and cost. I'm sure I will at some point though. After they wrapped the exhaust, there definitely is a HUGE difference...plus a little more boooooosstttt.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are some pictures so far that I could take while my car is in the garage in jack stands. Yes I know I am getting my bumper cover painted soon. I made everyting on this setup my self plan on running 5psi starting out looking for at least 420rwhp.\

Still got a few things to take care of like fuel system, then I am ready for a tune. I cant wait!! I will get some better pictures up when I am done. So killa when you getting your pics up? lol
Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you running 5psi on the stock tune?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No sir have not got it tuned yet and not driving it until tune.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

what FMIC did u get?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

well guys here is 1 of my exhaust tips... going to wrap the exhaust here in about 20min.
yes, the eclipse is my girls car and it was getting a oil change...believe it or not she was doing it.. !!!!! LOL

the angle is a tad bit off from the stock exhaust tip but if you didn't get to lookin at it hard you would never know

Quick Reply: STS install pics... and stuff...