Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tc76mps

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Block the gate and see what happens with boost. Just monitor the boost pressure and let off when boost goes beyond the dreaded 9psi. That will rule out the exhaust side.
That is true that will test it but that turbo is going to spool up mighty fast and I'd be pretty skeered to do that too...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

11psi spring is in there, WG doesn't even crack open which has me at my wits end.

Turn the BC to full open and still 9psi.

It was the same with the two stage turbosmart BC I had on the car, hence the reason I switched to a cheaper "just to try it out" simple hallman BC.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frcefed98
11psi spring is in there, WG doesn't even crack open which has me at my wits end.

Turn the BC to full open and still 9psi.

It was the same with the two stage turbosmart BC I had on the car, hence the reason I switched to a cheaper "just to try it out" simple hallman BC.
Hmmm, With an 11 PSI spring you should see 9-10 PSI at the manifold. You are saying though that the gate is not even opening? Definitely something on the exhaust side or the turbo itself. I would say if its easy enough drop the exhaust at the downpipe and give it a run up the street trying to make over 9 PSI. If theres no change you could try what DrTurbo said as well...
Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its why i'm pulling my hair out on this. Should be simple as all hell and we cant find the issue at all. I run the WG vented to atmosphere so you hear it when it cracks open even just a tad. This turbo is dead quiet when it spools tho?? Even at 9 pounds you can't hear it whine. The GT42 was real loud when spooling. The MPT70 was audible as well....but this one is quiet.

When we get it all back into the car tomorrow we will run it open DP to see whats up.

Then i'll figure out how to block off the WG if that doesn't turn up anything.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Its why i'm pulling my hair out on this. Should be simple as all hell and we cant find the issue at all. I run the WG vented to atmosphere so you hear it when it cracks open even just a tad. This turbo is dead quiet when it spools tho?? Even at 9 pounds you can't hear it whine. The GT42 was real loud when spooling. The MPT70 was audible as well....but this one is quiet.

When we get it all back into the car tomorrow we will run it open DP to see whats up.

Then i'll figure out how to block off the WG if that doesn't turn up anything.
If blocking off the wastegate doesn't get you anywhere and you are only seeing 9 PSI compressor outlet pressure I would send the unit in to be looked at. Make sure you are measuring the boost pressure at the compressor outlet fitting..
Old 01-31-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

no problem with that at all, and we'll tee the boost gauge to the compressor housings boost ref port.

This thread is done, everything was resolved that needed to be resolved. I'll have another post up with testing results when I get it all mounted back up and running.
Thanks all for the great help.
Jeremy

Quick Reply: Tc76mps