Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How will big cam respond to boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How will big cam respond to boost?

I have a torquer v3 in my car with all the supporting modifications.

231/234 .644/.598 111lsa. How would this cam respond to say 7-8 psi? I know that people generally like lower tame cams for turbos but I was just wondering exactly how it would go?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Teching In

That cam has a bit more overlap than you would want for a turbo setup. It would run fine, you would just lose some power due to boost bleed-off. There are more "efficient" cams out there for turbos.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chewy72SS
That cam has a bit more overlap than you would want for a turbo setup. It would run fine, you would just lose some power due to boost bleed-off. There are more "efficient" cams out there for turbos.
I don't think anyone has actually proven that. In every test I've seen, quite the opposite turned out to be true.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 PM
9 Second Club

I would not run that cam with boost.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
I don't think anyone has actually proven that. In every test I've seen, quite the opposite turned out to be true.
For a Turbo you will make good power but it is not efficient power Since the wastegate will control the boost level that cam will dictate alot of airflow compared to a better turbo type of cam.

You'll see what I mean if it was a supercharger with boost controlled by a belt. Stock cam with 8lb pulley would make 8 lbs of boost.With the cam listed above boost would probly be 1-2lbs with the same pulley.Power would be about the same but the stock cam will have more throttle response.

So,my answer is why not put in a better turbo friendly cam? You spend all the $$ on a turbo setup but want a bad cam for the application. In the end the T3 just isn't efficient for a turbo compared to what is out there.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Stock cam with 8lb pulley would make 8 lbs of boost.With the cam listed above boost would probly be 1-2lbs with the same pulley.Power would be about the same but the stock cam will have more throttle response.
That's not necessarly true. When you install a larger cam, it will make less boost, but more power. This has been proven many times. Now, with a turbo, you install a larger cam, then boost holds the same because the boost controller and wastegate automatically adjust. Then you make even more power.

So,my answer is why not put in a better turbo friendly cam? You spend all the $$ on a turbo setup but want a bad cam for the application.
Again, I don't think anyone has proven that his 231/234-111 is actually a bad cam.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Ok thanks for the info. I was just curious, this would be next winter's project if anything. I am into trying new stuff too so i might give it a shot and if i dont like it... pfft cam swaps easy and now that i got all the supporting stuff it wouldnt cost too much.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Teching In

That's not necessarly true. When you install a larger cam, it will make less boost, but more power. This has been proven many times. Now, with a turbo, you install a larger cam, then boost holds the same because the boost controller and wastegate automatically adjust. Then you make even more power.

Again, I don't think anyone has proven that his 231/234-111 is actually a bad cam.

In theory!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you just agreed with me in a different way.I ran a similar Cam on a blower car that was built NA,then added a blower.It made the same peak but lost midrange power with the low boost which the Cam bled off.Now a Turbo would make alot more power but if you measured the air flow and locked it down(forget boost reading) and put in a less overlap cam and ran the same level of air flow,the better suited cam would make more power due toy the higher boost pressure.

A more friendly boost Cam WILL make more midrange power than the cam listed.Will the cam listed work? Yes,any cam will pretty much work.
Do I have to prove it? No ,because I've already tested this stuff and proved to myself what I'm saying

I would only recommend the Cam above if the static compression is high.The lower DCR will benefit the boost.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

. . .I ran a similar Cam on a blower car that was built NA,then added a blower.It made the same peak but lost midrange power with the low boost which the Cam bled off.
I really believe that your case was not the norm. One of two things happened. 1) Your bigger cam too much duration in the overlap area, which I do believe can hurt a blower car, especially with efficient heads and exhaust, or 2) it put your compressor in an inefficient spot on the map. In other words, you lost low-end, which is to be expected with a larger cam, but hit the limit of the compressor on top end so it didn't help power any.

For a turbo car, in the tests I've seen, every time overlap is added, they make more power. Keep in mind that totally different things are going on during overlap with a blower and a turbo.

Mike
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Run it and see what happens. I think some would say that the peak power will not be as strong but it will have strong midrange? Might also depend on where you shift it.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

What convenient timing!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/678711-my-04-gto-76mm-set-up.html

346 LS1, 232/234-112 cam, 6 psi boost from a T76, ~640 rwhp.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Teching In

...nice
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I responded to your post in internal engine. I would swap a cam out with a little higher LSA and even better yet, reverse split pattern! You want to bring the efficiency up as much as possible on that rig!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

its not so much the lsa, but the actual amount of overlap that you need to look at. In addition, you have to also take into consideration the efficiency of a turbo setup. If youre getting huge backpressure readings the overlap may hurt you by having reversion.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

What convenient timing!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=678711

346 LS1, 232/234-112 cam, 6 psi boost from a T76, ~640 rwhp.
LOL I was reading this thread thinking damn I just went through this discussion.

I vote for using the cam.. also some of the best Ford turbo tuners use cams clost to this set up
Old 03-20-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

would the larger cam(although possibly flowing the same amount of air, and making the same amount of power) at a lower "boost guage reading" help to reduce the chance of getting detonation? or is detonation more based solely on total airflow going through the engine and actual AFR?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

anyone know the answer to the above question?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Torquer is not a good turbo cam due to overlap and reversion, remember exhaust is what drives turbos. That cam will work just fine with a blower though. I may be installing a procharger on my head/232/236 112 cammed car.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by half-n-half
would the larger cam(although possibly flowing the same amount of air, and making the same amount of power) at a lower "boost guage reading" help to reduce the chance of getting detonation? or is detonation more based solely on total airflow going through the engine and actual AFR?
detonation is a result usually of very hot air charge or lack of fuel.

Quick Reply: How will big cam respond to boost?