Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

OFI build taking shape..no 56k

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007 | 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

man jerry that looks good, wish i wouldve coated m parts
Old 04-09-2007 | 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

WOW those are close Jerry....... Drive the car some... for prob an hour and get some heat in the manifolds and let me know how they do with the sleeves.....

Like we talked about before... ive had better luck with taylor wires then the MSD's....

Let us know man..... How long till ya can really lean on her??? Track?? Dyno??

Kyle
Old 04-09-2007 | 10:55 AM
Launching!

Looks great man! Can't wait to see what #'s it makes!
Old 04-09-2007 | 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Cablebandit, I'm running an S-series so I definitely need a bracket. I have a MIG on the way so I will just get a bracket made at the shop.

I think part of the problem with the crossover may be the fact that I already had the headers LONG before I got the 2nd shipment which included the x-over. So when Joel mocked everything up he was using a different set of headers. Maybe over the months the jigs for the headers have changed slightly or whatever I don't know but it definitely isn't even close to fitting.

The wastegate looks like it will fit with a little tweaking and aligning of stuff. The DP which is actually the part I was most concerned about seems to be ok as far as routing past the engine. Just the fact that it doesn't fit snug enough to the turbo to actually get the v-band on is not cool. Also, the turbo is so close to the balancer I think trying to fit a turbo blanket is out of the question. I guess it needs to be that close to allow the condenser to fit.

Cablebandit, did your DP clamp right onto your turbo? Our turbine housing outlets should be the same...
Old 04-09-2007 | 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt to the top
Old 04-09-2007 | 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cablebandit
MonkeyBoneSS...here is a pic of the boot protectors you asked for

Thanks cablebandit, everything looks good and hope you enjoy the set-up
Old 04-09-2007 | 05:39 PM
Coal Mining Director

Boost yet?
Old 04-09-2007 | 08:10 PM
9 Second Club

my exhaust housing had like a lip on it for the dp to slide over. It absolutely would not do that. I ground it off with a grinder and it seals fine now.

Nasty, i drove the car 50 miles today...plug wires are fine so far......the plastic zip tie CLOSE to the header is still there and not melted as well.

Onfire....got into boost some today...a/f was 10.6-12.1 even though the dashboard says commanded a/f was as low as 8.6....dunno whats up with that. I thought i blew the motor taking off one time...smoke was everywhere behind me and trailing for a bit...then i smelled lots of rubber in the car Maybe its the cold pavement but this bitch has major traction probs....even at 7psi. I am gonna go out tomorrow and try to dial in the afr in boost some more. Today just spent with 2 second spurts just to see how things acted...what got hot etc...feeling it out. I just did my 100 mile oil change and tomorrow I will get a bunch more miles on it. I just gotta figure out how to dial in a/f under boost.
Old 04-09-2007 | 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

Excellant Jerry.Glad to hear you are getting it going.Everything look's real nice under the hood also!!
Old 04-10-2007 | 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Here are some pics of my fitment issues. Haven't had a chance to call Joel yet but not much he can do for me now short of driving 5 hours here with a TIG welder...

Old 04-10-2007 | 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

In that last Pic is looks like you havent used your A/C in a while... just cut away what ya dont need of the Plastic Box.....
Old 04-10-2007 | 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

those vband clamps are pretty close, just put them on and crank them down, they will fit. looks good to me.
Old 04-10-2007 | 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
In that last Pic is looks like you havent used your A/C in a while... just cut away what ya dont need of the Plastic Box.....
Actually I had to remove the ac compressor because one of the header primaries was hitting the suction line near the back of the compressor. And yes I had to clearance the evap case for the #8 primary and went through the case a little bit.

I guess I should just send the hot parts back and have him redo the stuff but I would like to have the car running in the near future. I already fixed the radiator necks that were too long, had the inside of the DP cone welded where the 3.5 inch pipe was sticking out inside and looked nasty. Plus I already waited 4 months for the stuff to begin with. Supposed to drive it to OC, md for cruise in week the 3rd week in may and would just rather get the mess fixed myself and be on my way instead of sitting around waiting for stuff again.
Old 04-10-2007 | 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSblack98
Here are some pics of my fitment issues. Haven't had a chance to call Joel yet but not much he can do for me now short of driving 5 hours here with a TIG welder...

yeah that looks familiar

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....89&postcount=3

Joel offered to remake a DP for me but have not heard back, since then I've found a local guy who builds turbo's for mustangs and is a awesome TIG welder, he remade the whole DP for me and fixed my crossover pipe too, as well as a few other issues. Its costing me another $1k to fix this stuff though it was that or send it back to Joel and wait another 15 weeks or something crazy like that
Old 04-10-2007 | 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

wow...mine fit much better...i left everything loose..including the manifolds...tightened down the the vclamps a little then did the manifolds
Old 04-11-2007 | 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

wow...mine fit much better...i left everything loose..including the manifolds...tightened down the the vclamps a little then did the manifolds
I thought about loosening the manifolds and tightening the v-bands and then cranking down the headers but figured it would not be a good idea to put everything on a bind as it was being tightened. Sounds like a good recipe for broken welds now or in the future.

The stuff will line up before I tighten it or I won't tighten it plain and simple. If you are going to put that much stress on everything you may as well not bother with a support for the turbo!

I'm calling Joel now to see if I can at least get another pass header that fits better so that I can at least put the a/c comp back on in the future and not be so damn close to the evap case in the back. Well see how that goes...
Old 04-11-2007 | 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

i got no response either from voicemail and just came across a major issue i will post in a bit
Old 04-11-2007 | 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes...they sell a 7/4/3 port version...i got the 4...found it on the GTO site
i think its called a vacuum distribution manifold...1/4" for the brake line and 1/8 for the vaccum/boost lines
That was me that posted it to the GTO site. Glad I was able to help out others from other sites also. I can't believe the prices some people are charging for a vacuum block- I have seen them over 40-$50!!! I just happened to check McMaster since I use them for various supplies and saw that they had them too and the price is certainly right .

You setup looks awesome BTW!
Joe

Last edited by kwiksilverz; 04-11-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2007 | 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

Just got voicemail when I called a couple times also.

I did however get a PM from Joel. I think he will make it right but we will see...

Joel you have mail.
Old 04-11-2007 | 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Joel has told me he will send me another pass side header and leave the v-band flange off so I can fit it and then weld it on.

Sounds like that should work out well.

Might have my A/C back on in time for the beach after all!!!