Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SDCE Tensioner problem (tensioner cocked)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SDCE Tensioner problem (tensioner cocked)

Went to the dyno, thought we had everything okay... well the car was great under boost and on the dyno but afterwards when i got home and looked under hood, i noticed the tensioner pulley to be cocked and not alligned with the crank/ blower pulley's. What would cause this?

I've taken this setup off only god knows how many times and for some reason it is not lining up correct. The 8 rib setup actually moved off the spring tensioner pulley about 1/8" towards the engine. I dont know if i shimmed this thing incorrectly, but could anything cause the spring tensioner to be cocked?

I dont know how this belt stayed on the car at 7200rpms, but something's not right... I'll see if i can figure this out tomorrow, but anyone have some easy things i could be overlooking...

Jay
Old 05-03-2007, 05:14 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is clocked also belt stayed on, but like you said I don't know how. I also want it fixed before it goes back in the car.
Jeff
Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its normal and the belt wont come off if its aligned right. I have two of them and that are both like that, its pretty noticable looking straight down fron the top. As long as the belt stays on I can care less what it looks like
Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with you I guess. Does yours squeak at all?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:43 AM
kp
8 Second Club

no squeaks at all, only time it will squeak is if I put the put the belt on one notch over on the tensioner pulley if I'm in a hurry swaping pulleys. But even if its one tooth off it wont come off or slip, just squeaks. I talked to them about it and Scott said it was normal, since I never had any problems with it I try not to notice it and why fix what isnt broke.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

i should have snapped a couple photos for y'all... but if this belt moves just a 1/16" towards the engine it's gonna hit the power steering pulley... thats how i sheered the first belt a few days ago...

Now, after looking at the problem, I'm thinking i shimmed the sdce setup incorrectly... the crank pulley is perfectly alligned with the blower pulley, but then at the tensioner it appears that the belt is only on 6 ribs and not 8... It seemed as if every time we took her up to 7grand the belt kept moving over towards the engine.... ****, 2 more times it'll be touchin the power steering pulley... eeeek

I dont know KP, for a car thats almost identical to yours, if you say so, i'll put this thing back on and run it down the track... I know im a be changing belts every time i go to the track...
Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

KP - could you, if your able, snap a birds eye view of ur tensioner being cocked? Im a lil skeptical and if i can see how yours looks maybe i'll have enough ***** and run it the way it is...

The tensioner is 1/8" to 3/16" off off the tensioner... another 1/8" over and it will be touchin the power steering pulley...

Who else has this problem???

Jayson
Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I'm at the track right now and I dont have a camera, but I'll take a pic monday for you. I'm not that close to the PS pulley, its possible your tensioner could be worst then mine butlooking straight down it looks pretty cocked. But its been working fine so I dunno. One of headlight motors messed up at the track when they were teching it in so now the belt will probably come off lol
Old 05-04-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i might be wrong....... But the motor sits at a angle. the main crank pulley is lower then the tensior pulley. If you try to light them up it might be off due to the angle. What i did was mesure the distance between the cars belt and the SC belt on the crank pulley. I think its about 1/2 inch. Then make sure the two belts near the tensior pulley are the same distance. just make sure the SC belt is the same distance from the cars belt all the way. i also had the same cockeyed problem with my set up. what i did was put 4 very thin pieces of that aluminum tape on the tensior set up. i put on top of the bolt hole for the tensior. It pushed it up just enuff. also make sure your in the "hole" on the tensior and not in the groves. did that b4. You can hit me up in a pm if you get stuck i delt with the same problem till i kicked my dog.

Quick Reply: SDCE Tensioner problem (tensioner cocked)