Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

corvette twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is pretty sweet thanks for updating us with every detail. Kinda like learning how to do it better myself as you go awesome looking project even though I'm kinda more a Black and white kinda guy for but the red and blue looks clean
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you get the correct injector size in he can go to a shop and get it tuned. Just stay out of boost.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

I was under the impression that full welds on the tubing side of the flange was a no-no due to cracking from expansion/contraction. Have I been given bad info?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:45 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by presto_z
today he tapped and ran all of his oil lines.. this thing should be finished really soon, there are only a handfull of things to finish up like running the intercooler piping, hooking up the catch cans, and a few more odds and ends befor he gets the tune...

he has a programmer for his old vortech system, that changes the tuning for the bigger injectors and for running boost (would he be able to use that to get the car to the shop for the tune? or will he need it trailered) it seems like it would work doesnt it??
Only will work if it is the same injectors used in the vortech kit. All injectors are just a little different and will require a specific table usually for that particular injector not to say that it won't run, but it still might be Very rich or Lean if it is a different injector other than the ones that came with the Vortech kit. It still might serve his purpose, but I'd take the PC over and have them load a good injector table for the one's you purchased atleast. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Good luck with those chinese turbos as well....lol. They should make some cool paper weights after a few hundred miles.

correct!!

so ****** outa balance......i only givem 10 days
Old 07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

we still cant figure these out..ugh
does anybody know where these go?? the kit is supposed to come with an alternator relocation bracket(s) but were not sure if they forgot to send it or if it is made up of these pieces

piece1

piece 2

and piece 3

some of the holes on piece 1 line up on the water pump, but we are not sure exactly what it does

piece 2 dunno and piece 3 is some sort of bushing or something

any help or input would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Did you give the stainless headers the magnet test? I'm just curious if there are 416 or 304 stainless.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is a very good question. Me being a Hi-Flo piece of **** Marko customer found out the hard way that false advertising is not that difficult. They advertised pure stainless 321 hot and cold side and after a year wait they shipped pure 321 tubular manifolds being pure 321 stainless, but the flanges were steel and the crossover was indeed pure 321 stainless. There is nothing better than the magnet test to prove false advertising.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red99C5
Did you give the stainless headers the magnet test? I'm just curious if there are 416 or 304 stainless.
Originally Posted by Whistler
The price he paid for this kit was unreal. Even if the turbochargers are garbage, the hot parts alone were well worth the price.
I didn't get to see the intercooler, but the headers and downpipe were well built. TIG welded 304 stainless, with the internal passages ground and sandpaper rolled.

there ya go
Old 07-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Have no first hand experience on C5 vettes so no idea specifically what/where it is for... but they look like exhaust hanger pieces.

we still cant figure these out..ugh
does anybody know where these go??
Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XJGPN
Have no first hand experience on C5 vettes so no idea specifically what/where it is for... but they look like exhaust hanger pieces.
thats exactly what i said.. but this kit bolts strait up to the stock exaust, so they really wouldnt be needed...

well he ordered a halltech 90 alternator and a halltech alternator bracket, so these are no longer gonna be used... he is just waiting for these items and he is pretty much done, all of his oil lines are ran, the injectors came in today, he still has to mount the catch cans, but thats a pretty easy task.. (is still gonna need a tune.. mike norris (sponsor and one of the top tuners in FL) has a dyno tune in town this weekend, but he wont be able to make it since he wont have the alternator and bracket in time (also the boosta pump)

this install took quite awhile, because he only got to work on it for 2 hours a night, in a normal home garage with basic hand tools and no lift.. plus he painted all that stuff and had to wait for **** in the mail...

now that its been done once, if he/or i ever had to do one again, it would be alot easier since all the hard stuff (figuring out how everything goes without instructions has now been done)

if anybody else needs assistance with this kit just ask and ill do my best to answer (i have a **** ton of pics), if i cant help ya ill ask Chris(guy who owns the vette) and he should be able to (has alot of pics too)... ive learned quite a bit about turbo's and turbo installs since this project went underway, and now my install should be much much easier..

stay posted for finished pics, and hopefully within the next few weeks for some numbers (hopefully around 525 rwhp) catback only car.. and the twin turbos of course..

Last edited by presto_z; 07-28-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Launching!

thats exactly what i said.. but this kit bolts strait up to the stock exaust, so they really wouldnt be needed...
True, but the exhaust is now going to extend up past the engine to the turbos... so there might be a location on that run. Also, a lot of turbo companies will add an exhaust hanger near the turbo so that all that weight isn't just hanging off the manifolds. Just something to check into.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

XJGPN thanks for the info, ill check into that..

well some more progress to report

his new alternator came in and it is sweet

this thing puts out alot more power then the stock one, and is alot smaller too

the catch can he purchased for the power steering fluid resivior was to big, so a quick stop at a local welder and it was cut down to size

here is a pic of the new one side by side of one being used for the wiper fluid.. they were once identical

he had to slightly modify his abs bracket to lower it just a nudge, he cut the nipple off the bottom and trimmed off some access metal that wasnt letting it lower enough

and he made the notches bigger so he can fully lower it

hopefully he will have it all finished up this Sunday with a partial tune, and a full dyno tune as soon as mike Norris or Jeremy formatto come back into town
Old 07-22-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

i just realized you guys are located here in south florida! Where do you guys stay at! I would love to take a look at the final product it its ok! I would probably buy a kit if this looks good to me in person!
Old 07-22-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by xtremejimmy
i just realized you guys are located here in south florida! Where do you guys stay at! I would love to take a look at the final product it its ok! I would probably buy a kit if this looks good to me in person!
Charlotte county, in between ft. myers and Sarasota

well the alternator wont work, its the wrong model so he has to send it back and get the right one so looks like it will be a few more days before its finished and he also decided to lower the ABS a little more so its further away from all the heat..
Old 07-22-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

More toys!!
Has your buddy added up all the damages for the additional stuff needed to complete it. A friend of mine wound up selling his ebay kit on the CF after figureing out he would have atleast an additional $3,500+ (and a fair amount of fabwork)into it before it was all said and done.

Dave
Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the damages are at least 3500 for the fuel system, gauges, misc extra parts, FI is not cheap no matter how you go about doing it. I spent 17K to go turbo and I got a great deal on my kit for only 4300 including the turbo. I also put in a new clutch and fresh short block.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-22-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

he quit adding it up after the 400 dollar alternator lol... he will still have alot less into it then going with a different kit though

i figure for my camaro kit ill have around 4k from start to finish including including all the fuel upgrades, guages, misc parts and dyno tune...

Quick Reply: corvette twin turbo