Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Install Of Aps Twin Turbo!!! Kwikss

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Hugger Z, first dont use the taps that are on the outside of it. Use the ones that are on the inner part of the ring. I believe its right before the ring clamps over the plastic slit. Hope this helps , its hard to sa without a picture.
Oh I tried those inner ones too. Believe me when I say any manner of persuasion has not worked on that thing...... It's always something when working on a car.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motor was already built and ready to ship to me. So you think the turbos aren't big enough for the 402? Thats no good. I guess well just have to see what it will do. Even if I push the boost to like 15psi+?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
totally agree, IMO the turbos will be a lil too small for a 402. 348-370 would be PERFECT.
I was referring to the length of the stroke of the 402 engine (a 370 has a better bore to stroke ratio than a 402 for a twin turbo engine) not the size of the turbochargers.

Peter
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh Ok. But it will still make good power right. Just spool time may be longer. What Hp do you think I'm looking at with it?

What Psi would you run. 12? 15? 18?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
totally agree, IMO the turbos will be a lil too small for a 402. 348-370 would be PERFECT.
I am curious where you came to this conclusion? APS rates each turbo at 50lbs/minute each which supports on the order of 400+hp. The turbine A/R is perfectly fine as well. They also claim to support 400+ ci engines with their kit, out of the box.

I think you're getting this guy worked up for no reason.

It'll spool faster, if anything happens with the larger (better flowing) engine. Cranking the boost up higher will not be needed just because the larger engine needs it, rather a lower absolute boost pressure will make the same amount of power...which means that for a given boost pressure in a remotely optimized situation the larger displacement motor will make MORE power.

The only time this would be an issue, really, would be in a severely undersized compressor or turbine housing...neither which is the case in his TT setup.

KWIKKAR you have no worries bro. It'll rock the house when you get it running.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GrumpySteelMan
I am curious where you came to this conclusion? APS rates each turbo at 50lbs/minute each which supports on the order of 400+hp. The turbine A/R is perfectly fine as well. They also claim to support 400+ ci engines with their kit, out of the box.

I think you're getting this guy worked up for no reason.

It'll spool faster, if anything happens with the larger (better flowing) engine. Cranking the boost up higher will not be needed just because the larger engine needs it, rather a lower absolute boost pressure will make the same amount of power...which means that for a given boost pressure in a remotely optimized situation the larger displacement motor will make MORE power.

The only time this would be an issue, really, would be in a severely undersized compressor or turbine housing...neither which is the case in his TT setup.

KWIKKAR you have no worries bro. It'll rock the house when you get it running.
Well put! His setup will be awesome!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Ok Guys I'm buying a Katech 402 Ls2 stroker. Can't wait. So until then, install is on hold. I'll be pulling tranny off and clutch and cleaning everything up and getting it ready to be installed on new motor.

Hopefully 800rwhp will be in order.
Thats about double the horsepower of what I have now. Gzz I can only think of how fast its going to be.
Lol, thats kinda funny... I was at 425 rwhp before I did my turbo setup, and literally doubled the HP...

Lets just say I never really had traction issues until now...

You will love it though for sure.. the first time you get into boost and hear the turbos spooling you will most likely cream your pants
Old 09-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by peter@aps
I was referring to the length of the stroke of the 402 engine (a 370 has a better bore to stroke ratio than a 402 for a twin turbo engine) not the size of the turbochargers.

Peter
That exactly what speed inc told me. They are building my forged 370 right now. It should be here in a couple of weeks. They said the aps turbos would have back pressure with a 402, and they recommened the 370. They are putting down over 1000rwhp in there shop car with a 370, and that was good enough for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The same turbos have put out great numbers in the gto kits. Can't see going up to a 402 or 408 all of sudden being the end of the world. Maybe once you start going huge to 427 or 454 type of engine. Also might be some differences on mostly race cars versus street cars. Just like lots of guys are saying you have to run like low gears like 3.08s and 2.73s and such yet I see a lot of cars running 9s with 3.73s in the boosted lists.
I would not be too worried and likely going with 408 6.0 iron for my personal engine.
370 is cheaper of course if you stick with factory crank which have taken good power. And would expect a bit faster revving but slower spool up. And likey a bit more boost to reach same power level as a 408. And more importantly less torque on and off boost as well. Guess have to see as more aps turbo cars are finished and dynoed and driven on the tracks.
Maybe should take a poll to see what size engine most of the current APS kit guys are using. I have also heard this turbos are too small or whatever arguement in the dsm community but going big usually just means more lag and not as good a street powerband. Yes if you are up in the gear like in third you can gear down to spool up the big turbo faster or you can use tricks in standard cars like antilag or two step to get some boost off the line. Autos have advantage with stalls and don't loose much boost between shifts. No lift to shift is another common option in big turbo dsm cars like mine.
Still its not like he is going to hit a brick wall with these tweaked 20 gs in his 402 or my planned 408. They are rated like 50 pounds airflow or approx 1000 engine hp at 18psi and they have been pushed a lot past 18psi in dsms and other cars.
And these are modified ones . The proof will be in the pudding of course.
Also finding out in this business pretty much every shop has their own idea for the optimum turbo cam, optimum heads, compression,displacement, stall, rear end gears ,etc. And just as speed inc is a quality proven shop so is lingenfelter or APS or many other shops. Its all bench racing till the combos hit the dynos and the street or track.I have seen many instances of single turbos with less airflow total used on 402s and 408s for sure ,the bigger 427 and stuff is more recent with LSX block being more affordable. The combined airflow of these turbos is like 100 pounds/min. Can't see a big problem on a 402 or 408.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

I couldn't agree more. I'm not saying a 402, or a 408 will not work, but I am just saying I think 370 will do better with the aps turbos. Thats just my opinion, but like you said we will see when we see some dyno #'s. Frasier at speed inc has the aps turbos on his gto. I believe he said he had a 402 in his car. He put down good numbers on a low amount of boost.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The EPP current APS install is also on a 402.
Should be done and tested soon. My goals are to hit 850rwhp or1000 engine hp don't much care at what psi but the lower the better. And likley have direct port on there for if do want a bit more and even quicker spool up. Nitrous and turbos get along pretty well together.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

I have a 403 and will be wringing it out for all it is worth
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing
Old 09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys did a few more things tonight. Cut the Rad. support, bent in all the tabs that were on the car. Actually cut the center tab off right where the intercooler goes. Started benting and hitting and it just didn't want to move for me, so I cut the center part out and folded the side ones. Motor ships out on Friday, should be here next week, then the REAL fun begins. Forgot the camera so no pictures sorry.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

lol. i can just see you talkin to the center tab. "alright you sob, dont wanan bend, take this !1#@$$#Q% BWHAHAHA!#$#@%" *dremel noise*
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Well guys did a few more things tonight. Cut the Rad. support, bent in all the tabs that were on the car. Actually cut the center tab off right where the intercooler goes. Started benting and hitting and it just didn't want to move for me, so I cut the center part out and folded the side ones. Motor ships out on Friday, should be here next week, then the REAL fun begins. Forgot the camera so no pictures sorry.
Yeah I ran into that too. Had to beat the s&*$ out of it with a 5lb sledge. My arms were killing me.

No camera?? You suck! J/K
Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Im putting this kit on a 402....think its gonna have a problem producing 700+rwhp when tuned properly??? i dont think it will. you'll be fine with a 402....keep us posted.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

not bad jordan looks like u got a nice setup going. and a nice place to work on it at. airplane hanger off of 287? hah
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

No hanger is off of 377 in keller, and keller haslet road.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 PM
FormerVendor

Oh Ok. But it will still make good power right. Just spool time may be longer. What Hp do you think I'm looking at with it?

What Psi would you run. 12? 15? 18?
The 402 will never be a high revving engine because of the length of the stroke though if you limit engine rpm to a safe number a forged 402 would be a nice engine. If it were me, and if I was starting from scratch with a new forged engine I would choose a forged 370 cube engine as this engine combination has a better bore to stroke ratio.

Good luck with your project,

Peter

Quick Reply: Install Of Aps Twin Turbo!!! Kwikss