Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best alternator relocation bracket for turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i took a cnc class in high school were we used some of the lastest auto cad or whatever i cant recall and made and ran cnc programs. It would really only take an hour for someone that knows what their doing to write a cnc program. so i dont see why it would be that costly. hell mybe i will work on some tig welding skills and powder coat in an old oven and totally bank like some others. i guess i will get the bmr as their arent alot of opitions. i think a cool even $100 sounds like a good price. im 20 and make around 26k a year and triple over paying for things like this just kill me and others. theirs no such thing as a poor mans race car anymore.

Last edited by FRUSTRATED T/A; 08-27-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED T/A
i took a cnc class in high school were we used some of the lastest auto cad or whatever i cant recall and made and ran cnc programs. It would really only take an hour for someone that knows what their doing to write a cnc program. so i dont see why it would be that costly. hell mybe i will work on some tig welding skills and powder coat in an old oven and totally bank like some others. i guess i will get the bmr as their arent alot of opitions. i think a cool even $100 sounds like a good price. im 20 and make around 26k a year and triple over paying for things like this just kill me and others. theirs no such thing as a poor mans race car anymore.
just an fyi for you that bmr bracket is not for relocating the turbo to use with truck manafolds, it is for runing an alternator only, meaning you get rid of the other accessories, keeping the alternator in the same place. I dont think thats what you want.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED T/A
It may only take an hour but the machinist can charge whatever he wants for his services, not to mention they are trying to re-coop the tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars they invested into the machine.

Racing isn't cheap, just wait till you have to start worrying about SFI everything and you are paying 2-3 times the cost of a std piece.

I've looked at some of those machines, some of those 5 axis machines are 500-750k even the standard 3 axis are 100k plus.

Are headers worth $1300, No they may only be 100 in material and the rest is all labor but you still pay. you have the choice to get 250 headers if you choose but you can't expect the 1300 quality.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

smokinHawk sending you a PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

im aware of the price of one of those bad boys i used them to make things for class every day for a year. im already getting rid of the ac which is out and the power steering which is not going back in so got that taken carof i think, unless i some how get rid of the water pump but even the electric ones still use the pully i think.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

the electric wp have a pulley but you dont need to run a belt by it if need be.
still if you are doing a truck manafold kit you need to move it somewhere else besides were its at now up top of the engine.
since you are getting rid of PS it would probably be best to put your alternator on the driver side head.
I have a bracket for that at $65 shipped, as there isnt much to it (compared to the other one), just a hard to find bolt some steel and some spacers, you probably could make your own as it isnt hard, you just have to hunt down a few parts (and the long bolt being the hardest and most expensive)
Old 08-28-2007, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

thanks for clearing that up smokinhawk.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Last night when fabbing up a bracket (which took 2.5 hours) I was thinking about the cost, then I remembered that before I started doing these for members and the reason I started making these for members was that the only other option back then was a similar piece that coasted $300+shipping and seemed to be a reasonable deal for people who wanted a DIY turbo kit if I sold them for about a 1/3 of that cost. After making a few of them i can see why a bigger shop would charge $300, they're a pain to make.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,144 Likes on 744 Posts

Yeah, the TTi one is like $300 right?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by .ALEX.

What do you guys think?

How much would you pay for a billet bracket?

anything ever come of this??
Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, but that isn't going to be cheap.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

if anyone ever made a nice machined relocation bracket like the redering above... I would be first in line for one
Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Speed Inc sells this one for $200, similar to that rendering one above.
Attached Thumbnails best alternator relocation bracket for turbo setup-mhi001_1.jpg   best alternator relocation bracket for turbo setup-mhi001_2.jpg   best alternator relocation bracket for turbo setup-mhi001_3.jpg  
Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by presto_z
anything ever come of this??
No, i left the Shop i was working with.

If people are still interested i can take up the project again and sell it through a forum sponsor.

I may take a look into in in the next few weeks to see if i can make something work.

Speed Inc sells this one for $200, similar to that rendering one above.
thats a really nice piece i called Speedinc about it a few weeks ago, only thing is it's meant to be used with that alternator. it will not fit a stock alternator jacking up the price to over $400 for the assembly.

FYI- I am not soliciting Business. I just found the thread since im still looking for a relocation bracket.

I did find that Wegner Motorsports make a CNC billet bracket that may work without a tensioner. have not gotten an answer from them yet

Old 03-08-2008, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
No, i left the Shop i was working with.

If people are still interested i can take up the project again and sell it through a forum sponsor.

I may take a look into in in the next few weeks to see if i can make something work.

thats a really nice piece i called Speedinc about it a few weeks ago, only thing is it's meant to be used with that alternator. it will not fit a stock alternator jacking up the price to over $400 for the assembly.

FYI- I am not soliciting Business. I just found the thread since im still looking for a relocation bracket.

I did find that Wegner Motorsports make a CNC billet bracket that may work without a tensioner. have not gotten an answer from them yet

Keep us updated on that bracket, looks nice. Does it also mount the Alt. to the passenger head?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Keep us updated on that bracket, looks nice. Does it also mount the Alt. to the passenger head?
i think it does, i called last week but seem that everyone in the cnc shop was out sick. ill call again first thing in rhe morning.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Would there be any issues to removing the tensioner and moving the alternator down to be on the same level as the power steering pump?

Coming from an import background, those engines just used a bolt to adjust tension on the alternator and P/S pump. Pretty simple design. I just don't want the alternator towering above the engine. Symmetry is important to me and not to mention, it won't clear my hood.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:40 PM

http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000801

I just got this from speed inc and its an amazing piece!

hands down better than anything else i've seen out there.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tiago
if anyone ever made a nice machined relocation bracket like the redering above... I would be first in line for one
check out the piece from speed inc... you don't even have to use a tensioner
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000801

I just got this from speed inc and its an amazing piece!

hands down better than anything else i've seen out there.
Same one I posted above, but was said (above) that you need to buy that alternator too, is that true?

Quick Reply: best alternator relocation bracket for turbo setup