Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Some pics of the inside of the old 346 and new 365

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen sevral ls1 blocks with cylinders that looked just like that at some higher power outputs. I'd be willing to bet it was flex in the liner. Otherwise still looked runable.

the #3 main is not to shocking either. I have seen that wear pattern 3 times now and I have noticed similar wear in the cam bearing above that journal.

Mind snapping a few shots ?

Tune up looked pretty good dude !

Originally Posted by kp
Instead of the usual blowed up pics figured I'd post up a few of what a well used aluminum blocked 346 looks like after 40 or so track trips and beaten to hell every time. Worst part was two scuffed up pistons, #1 and #7, #7 was to be expected but #1 was by far the worse. Most likely it happened when I was playing with pump gas with the stock PCM, it did detonate pretty good a time or two most likely. But obviously it didnt affect anything too much since leakdown was still decent, it didnt smoke/use oil and it ran pretty well still. I noticed the wear in the bores over a year ago when I put the first set of head gaskets on. Rings looked great (regular moly), bearings looked exceptional considering it has lost oil pressure numerous times at shutdown. Crank looked like brand new (was a used crank to begin with), only main cap walking was #3, to be expected with a car with a transbrake, but the thrust bearing still looked fine.

I could have ran this one another season, head gaskets were leaking some, except for #1 and #7, most likele because I run #7 a little richer and #1 had some blowby so both those cylinders were a little down on power.

All in all it was a damn tough little engine, two full seasons and I show the car no mercy at all on the track. Few pics of the worst piston/bore and the crank. Piston looks bad but like I said its been like that for over a year most likely, could have been detonation, overheating (done that a couple times) or bore distortion..
Old 12-14-2007, 01:24 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shankels94ta
ever dyno the F1-A setup?
No, it was 676rwhp or something like that with the D1SC and old cam. Hard to get impressive dyno numbers with an 8" torque converter.

Originally Posted by LS1curious
I have seen sevral ls1 blocks with cylinders that looked just like that at some higher power outputs. I'd be willing to bet it was flex in the liner. Otherwise still looked runable.

the #3 main is not to shocking either. I have seen that wear pattern 3 times now and I have noticed similar wear in the cam bearing above that journal.

Mind snapping a few shots ?

Tune up looked pretty good dude !
I dont have the block here anymore, sold it to a local guy cheap for parts. Didnt really look that hard at the cam bearings to be honest. The way people talk about cap walk on these I expected them to look a lot worse but except for number 3 the rest didnt move around at all. The whole thing looked better than I thought it would really..

I could have honed it, threw some new rings and bearings in and run it, trust me I've run way worse looking stuff over the years when I was broke

Quick Reply: Some pics of the inside of the old 346 and new 365