Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Leak down, verifies, blown head gasket!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leak down, verifies, blown head gasket!

Had the car out on Monday here. It was 95deg outside. First my line lock, locked up on my while I was doing 40mph. Thank god nobody was too close to me. I managed to get the car off the main road, having to floor it to get it to move. It was either that or get whacked from behind from someone doing 45+mph. I pulled a wire of the solenoid of the line lock and the car was fine. Later went to the shop and changed the oil, full Synthetic. While driving home I was stopped in traffic for a good 2-3 min. I all of a sudden noticed my temp gauge bury itself, fast. Once again I had to ride it out. I had cars glued to my front and rear. I knew this was not good. I was 10min from home when the gauge went south. Drove home, cooled down while I was moving and sat in the garage for a second and watched the gauge soar. Shut it down. 2 hours later I pulled the cap on the radiator and topped it off. It was a little low. Fired up the car and a was smoking white steam. I since come to realize that my fans were not working? It gets so ******* hot under my hood that all electrical components are exposed to 1500+ heat. There has to be a way to vent air from under the hood and try keep the engine compartment at a sane level. I have ordered 6.0 heads from Absolute, droping my compression, and studs. The massive heat caused 2 major electrical failures in a short pierod of time. What a bunch of ****. Well it was fun while it lasted(1000miles).
Old 06-26-2003, 02:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Leak down, verifies, blown head gasket!

Sorry to hear about that, I had an issue with a head gasket a while back....

I got the TEA S2 73cc chamber heads to drop the compression...

I would also look into the CAS high capacity radiator, its almost 4" thick, Noyzee is running it too, I'm running it on my new setup...
Old 06-26-2003, 02:34 AM
Banned

I've got that radiator, my fans quit. Angelo
Old 06-26-2003, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

be glad it was just a head gasket and not the motor. did you get any coolant in the oil?
Old 06-26-2003, 11:22 AM
8 Second Club

remove the rubber weather stripping at the cowl ( where the hood meets the windshield), that should vent the engine compartment pretty good.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, doesn't sound good.

Are you going to build a new motor and keep it turbocharged?

(ps, when you get a chance, send me those wheel spacers )
Old 06-26-2003, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang that sucks, hope you get her back together and nothing worse then a head gasket went.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Banned

Thanks for all your concerns. Jim I will get those spacers out to you tomorrow. I plan on putting the new heads on and continue driving the car with the stock block and internals. The car still had great power and made no internal noise when I shut it down. I guess the head gasket goes before any major damage. I have a 6.0l block in my garage, waiting just in case. I do plan on keeping the CAS TT kit. It is just too much fun when it was running. Tonight, with the help of my brother in law, we will continue pulling the heads. I will have to drop both downpipes in order to get these heads off. Hopefully with the lower compression and continuance of running race gas the car will hold together for a while. I also need to trace wires and see where things went bad. I will probably use heat sleeves on everything wire related under my hood. It is a nightmare, but nothing is ever easy in life. I will be down for a couple weeks, waiting on my heads. I don't think this would have happened if not for my fans cutting out. Thanks for the advice to try to keep the heat out from under the hood. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. Angelo
Old 06-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-27-2003, 01:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

man I wish my head gaskets would have gone out before the rest of the bottom end

geez....with lower cr heads and race gas...I guess that means more boost

good luck

Quick Reply: Leak down, verifies, blown head gasket!