Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why can't I get a consistant A/F ratio at all RPM

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why can't I get a consistant A/F ratio at all RPM

The car is a 98' TA with a procharger D1sc, 50 lbs injectors, fuel pump, 160 thermostat, Ls1edit and nothing else. If I set the injector table to get a good A/f at idle and part throttle it is way to rich at WOT. But if I set it so that WOT is good, it's way to lean down low and won't stay running. When we try to take fuel out at WOT with the P.E tables, nothing happens. Am I correct in using the flow rate table for part throttle tuning and the P.E table for WOT? If not, what part of the program should I use and why wouldn't the P.E tables have any effect? We are using a Wideband to get the readings.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Why can't I get a consistant A/F ratio at all RPM

I don't what method your car uses to add fuel. Some vehicle tune using the PE method and some use a open loop method.
My truck uses the open loop method. My vehicle never goes into closed loop. When I adjust the PE nothing happens. I had to place the PCM into open loop and use the flow rate table to add fuel.
When I first go WOT my A/F ratio is 10.5-11.0 and by 6,200 it is at 11.9-12.2. Just cruising my A/F sits at around 12.5 and easing into it drops to 11.xs. This is very safe but doesn't do alot for gas mileage.
I got alot of help from NoGo. He is the man. He put up with all of my stupid questions. Talk to him, like I said, he is the man. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your readings should be ~14.7:1 driving around and about 11.7:1 where your car makes peak torque...tappering off to 12:1 or so as you make peak hp.

Are those the numbers that you are shooting for?

You should use the IFR table to get your LTRIMS slightly negative when you are in part-throttle cells and then use the PE v. RPM table to tune for WOT.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Those numbers would be nice. We were able to get the LTRIMS right around zero at part throttle with the IFR table. But WOT was running about 9:1 then and the PE vs. RPM table changes we made had no effect on it. We adjusted the IFR table to get the WOT around 11.5:1 but the part throttle LTRIMS are now maxed at +25 which isn't good. I there anyway to know if my car uses the open loop method without trying that? STUPIDFAST : is your truck always in open loop now ( any temp or rpm ) and the IFR table was all you had to adjust?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, my truck is always in open loop. I think I set the closed loop enable temp at 280 degress, so it never goes in to closed loop. So far I am the only one that has had to do this, that I know.
The IFR is the only thing I adjust but, like I said it drinks the gas just cruising. My IFR table goes from like 4.8xs at idle to like 2.4xs at WFO. This is actually a very safe tune as soon as start to give it gas, my A/F drops like a brick.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:23 AM
8 Second Club

what about adjusting the maf tables for part theottle?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should not need to adjust the IFR table to adjust WOT from all of the tuning that I have done (5-6 cars).

Have you disabled COT?
Old 06-27-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

What would I change (direction) in the MAF tables? We tried disableing the COT but it made no difference. It just seems like when we make changes in the PE v. RPM tables it has no effect on the car. Is there something I'm missing that would cause this? Is it not as straight forward as it seems?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

When you say you tweak the injector table for WOT or IDLE, how are you adjusting it? Just scaling the table +/- a certain % won't always fix it. Sometimes you have to reshape the entire table. The best way to do it is to find where your car likes to be at idle, and at WOT, put it on Excel, and just fit a new line between. Do it on excel with a live graph, though, otherwise your curve might get jagged.

-Geoff
Old 06-29-2003, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Yes, we were just doing a fixed % increase across the board in the IFR table. So what you are saying is to try a different % at idle than at WOT? Ex. 80% bigger at idle, but only maybe 60% at WOT. Am I on the right track? What do you mean a "live graph"?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

First tune your car at WOT. Then download your current injector flow rate curve into excel and make a graph of it. Start a new row below the old one, copy the end two cells (75 and 80), and put in the first cell (0) the flow rate that works at idle. Finally, fill in a straight line between then 0 and 75 cell. Put it on the graph to make sure it is straight, or you end up with a bunch of points.

Also, make sure that when you tuned at WOT, you had zero in the LTFT, or you will go lean with your new Injector flow. It will sometime take a couple iterations, but I finally got mine dialed in almost perfect - LTFT's around zero and good WOT a/f.

Good Luck.

-Geoff
Old 07-01-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

OK, sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try. Did you have to do anything with the P.E tables then? Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Why can't I get a consistant A/F ratio at all RPM