Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

big power with e85 and no intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the content will vary depending on your location, and the time of year.
The stations will add a higher percentage of 87 octane in the winter to improve start up performance in cold temperatures.
The plus side is that E85 is much more forgiving with the tune.
I plan on dialing in my "race" tune during the summertime so that when
the alcohol content falls off in the winter, the car will just be a little rich.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:05 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
I m guessing this would be possible with any system capable of staged injection. Kurt, what do you think? Could you switch the nova over 100% to 116 or are you limited for some reason? It would seem tobe a tuning choice and alittle trickery at what you tell the pcm.

Parish, have you used the ems pro? I saw a breif sales blurb on it, but thats it. It is from ems (austrailia) right? or is it directly related to megasquirt?

Sounded interesting, I run an old ems on my suby powered sand rail, and its simple and effective.
yes i have played with an emspro on a typhoon a little. it is a very close relative to the squirt but with a pile of upgrades. i can't say for sure what all the upgrades are. i do know of a few sweet features like 2 maps for real time baro corection, a 4bar map standard(45psi anyone?), the circuits for fans, nitrous, boost control, fuel pumps, knock and some other stuff is wired in unlike the basic squirt where you have to add this stuff. the electrical conector is much beefier than the squirt. i think it is some kind of ampseal conector.

i have an emspro sitting here is front of me, nice looking unit for what that is worth. i think it is a us company that is producing and distrubuting them. there are 4 ignition chanels going out so it can control a 4cylinder ignition easy or a v8 with wasted spark.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
$200 1000 HP FMIC??? Where can I buy one???

Okay, back to the subject. What kind, if any, cooling effect does E85 have? What kind of heat drop does a FMIC have? How much does H2O injection drop heat?

Ron
The 140$ ebay intercooler is what is on zombies car at around 900 crank hp. There is one bigger. I did testing on them and with ambient temps above 90, at 19 psi the post turbo temp was 300, the post intercooler temp was 150.

On the camaro, at around 13 psi with no no water/meth it would be about 20 degrees above ambient. 95-100 degree outside 120 going in the manifold.

With water/meth, with tuning for temp drop 67 degrees was achieved a few times with road speeds of 75 mph. Average was probably 20 degrees below ambient.

Ive also test those "cheap " intercoolers to 60 psi at least several hundred times in deisel applications. I run two on my cummins, and they have been on there for around two years. It makes just over 600 rwhp and 1200 ft lbs.

I have read that e85 winter blend is 70/30 or 75/25. About the lowest octane rating you would get out of it is 98 or 99 in with the low grade.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Nova will not switch to run on complete c16, I could raise the percentage to around 90% at best. The problem with two different types of fuel is in the wide band sensor/closed loop. It must be calibrated for the type of fuel you run in the engine, so two types of fuel would make wide band closed loop tricky. Not sure how the MS gets around this, but the BS3 can not change the wide band calculations while its running, it is a choice in the config when you set up the system.

Kurt
I m guessing this would be possible with any system capable of staged injection. Kurt, what do you think? Could you switch the nova over 100% to 116 or are you limited for some reason? It would seem tobe a tuning choice and alittle trickery at what you tell the pcm.

Parish, have you used the ems pro? I saw a breif sales blurb on it, but thats it. It is from ems (austrailia) right? or is it directly related to megasquirt?

Sounded interesting, I run an old ems on my suby powered sand rail, and its simple and effective.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 140$ ebay intercooler is what is on zombies car at around 900 crank hp. There is one bigger. I did testing on them and with ambient temps above 90, at 19 psi the post turbo temp was 300, the post intercooler temp was 150.

On the camaro, at around 13 psi with no no water/meth it would be about 20 degrees above ambient. 95-100 degree outside 120 going in the manifold.

With water/meth, with tuning for temp drop 67 degrees was achieved a few times with road speeds of 75 mph. Average was probably 20 degrees below ambient.

Ive also test those "cheap " intercoolers to 60 psi at least several hundred times in deisel applications. I run two on my cummins, and they have been on there for around two years. It makes just over 600 rwhp and 1200 ft lbs.

I have read that e85 winter blend is 70/30 or 75/25. About the lowest octane rating you would get out of it is 98 or 99 in with the low grade.

I was looking at thosea FMIC's on ebay. None of them are rated for 1000HP. There are some that would work on mine (fit) but they were rated at 600HP. Will running one of these be better than no FMIC at all?

I was woried about the pressure drop, and thought running E85 with no innercooler would probally be better. Is there ANY cooling effect to E85? E85 also dosnt work very well in cold weather. Would I have a problem in the fall and spring with E85 if I ran an FMIC?? (40-50*)

Thanks - Ron
Old 12-22-2007, 10:03 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by 427
The Nova will not switch to run on complete c16, I could raise the percentage to around 90% at best. The problem with two different types of fuel is in the wide band sensor/closed loop. It must be calibrated for the type of fuel you run in the engine, so two types of fuel would make wide band closed loop tricky. Not sure how the MS gets around this, but the BS3 can not change the wide band calculations while its running, it is a choice in the config when you set up the system.

Kurt
if you want to go closed loop wot corection there is a a/f ratio map that you fill out. rpm on one side, map on the other and a/f ratio out in the middle. you tell it what ratio to target when. never having done it with duel fuel i can't say that it works perfectly but it seems like it would work
Old 12-24-2007, 02:29 AM
single digit dreamer

we did some bench testing today with the emspro(squirt). ve map 1 for injector driver 1 and ve map 2 for injector driver 2. we filled out ve map 1 just under 100kpa and up to 4000rpm and let it goto 0 above that. then on ve map 2 we put it at 0 below 80kpa and below 3500 but filled it out above those points.

when we fed it inputs you could watch it drive the injectors on driver 1 at lower map and rpms, then in the 80-100kpa range and 3500-4000rpm range it drove both sets and above 100kpa and 4000rpm it just drove the 2nd set of injectors. we were not sure how it would act with a 0 in the ve map but it did just what we hoped and just turned off the injectors.

it was easy to set up and i think it will be real easy to tune. we should be able to phase in the meth at any point we want, at any rate and to any final percent.

we plan on running 4 36lb injectors on driver one. that should be good for at least 200rwhp. then 8 160lb units on driver 2 with meth. we also did a bench test for a dry shot. it looks like we will be able to use either set of injectors to add fuel for our dry shot. we are going to use the meth to fuel a. dry shot. the nitrous will be just to help it spool.

only thing left to determin is if we can run 8 low z injectors on one driver. seems like a lot of current to me but the people that spec'd out the parts for these things are saying we should be good up to at least 8 low z injectors.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Adkoonerstrator

Only 4 36lb injectors? What the heck are you building?
Old 12-24-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
I was looking at thosea FMIC's on ebay. None of them are rated for 1000HP. There are some that would work on mine (fit) but they were rated at 600HP. Will running one of these be better than no FMIC at all?

I was woried about the pressure drop, and thought running E85 with no innercooler would probally be better. Is there ANY cooling effect to E85? E85 also dosnt work very well in cold weather. Would I have a problem in the fall and spring with E85 if I ran an FMIC?? (40-50*)

Thanks - Ron
Anyone with any thoughts on this???

Ron
Old 12-24-2007, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 427

Kurt
Hi Kurt -

The way the MS works is more like having two BS3s, one for each bank of batch-fired injectors. Two separate Fuel tables, two separate closed loop systems (dual wideband) if we decide to run closed loop.

As Jim says, we rigged up a bench test last night and tried it out, monitoring the injector outputs... it definitely works. Zero out either table where we don't want that particular fuel to fire.

Downside on the MS is that it *might* require beefed up, external injector drivers (like AEM, and others). Technically, the emspro we're using will run 8 low impedance injectors on each driver - it's worked "on the bench" but it hasn't been proven in a car yet. We'll certainly figure it out and post results.

This should be interesting to tune! and fun.

Happy Holidays to all!!

-scott
Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Teching In

from what i have read and seen i will be using e85 on my build this up coming year. i have just got an stripped down 93 camaro that has no wiring harness in it and will be putting an 383 engine in with a blow thru carb and an s400 turbo. there is a lot of guys doing this type of setup on e85 making some realy high hp numbers without the use of intercoolers. http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php. has som good info on this
Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Only 4 36lb injectors? What the heck are you building?
4 36lb and 8 160lb.

Quick Reply: big power with e85 and no intercooler?