Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Horizontal FMIC project

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chad are you using the single fan that comes with the kit or something else. I've seen a few add another small fan to try to help the over heating problem.
Old 08-10-2008 | 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

one ?..... how does the nose of the car behave once you cut the 3 push pin supports out? does it sag or flop around?
Old 08-13-2008 | 05:53 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
Chad are you using the single fan that comes with the kit or something else. I've seen a few add another small fan to try to help the over heating problem.
Yes, i still have the single 16" fan that comes with the procharger kit. I do have one other 12" fan i bought with these smaller fans i put on top of the IC. I think once i get around to it, ill take the fans off the IC and either put them or the single bigger one in front of the AC condenser as pusher(s). Maybe I'll put one of the smaller fans on the back by the 16" as a puller also? I can forsee my alternator struggling to keep up with all that extra amperage demand already!

Originally Posted by ZDOG
one ?..... how does the nose of the car behave once you cut the 3 push pin supports out? does it sag or flop around?
No, it really can't move much at all with the IC there.
Old 08-26-2008 | 12:44 AM
Teching In

Thats an awesome idea with the FMIC done horizontally. If it works great i would love to do it that way so i don't have to cut the nose up!!
Old 02-05-2011 | 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

it looks like a pretty good set up man.
Old 09-03-2012 | 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to pull a necro-bump on this one. I've been running this same intercooler horizontally mounted since late 2010 on my car as seen below:

(this was unfinished, it tucked a tad higher and had metal brackets holding the front when I was done)

With the front mount turbo kit, slim fans in the stock shroud (all that could be fit) the temps weren't controllable. I fought this for a LONG time. Swapped to a larger BeCool radiator. Improved greatly, but still heated up badly running at speed/RPM's down the road, especially on the highway. Swapped from the cheap pullers to a pair of Derale pushers on the A/C Condensor. Helped a lot. Could fart around the back roads and idling all day long, but get the RPM's up over about 1800 and the temps would start to climb.

So Friday/Saturday this labor day weekend I stood my intercooler up as seen below:

This spaced it out in front of the air dam airflow area by about 4". It was an IMMEDIATE improvement in how warm the car ran. Didn't heat up at all running RPM's or at highway speeds. The ONLY time it even cracked over 190* was when I was going up a mountain and I was leaning on it a little.

The horizontal mount simply didn't work for me. Don't know if it's because it was right up against the radiator support or if it was simply not allowing airflow up and through and was diverting it all under the car instead. But standing it up, I sacrificed my fog lights (for now) but gained the ability to not have to worry about temps driving the car around anymore.

Just some feedback on doing it this way.

Quick Reply: Horizontal FMIC project