Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My build - Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008 | 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats good to hear about the swaybar because mine is unhooked i guess if i dont like it i can buy the spacers that tti sells. nice runs the vids were awesome, i need to get a two step before i hit the track. what was yours set at?
Old 10-30-2008 | 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

it was the first day with the 2 step. We got a 1.71 with the 2 step @ 4300 rpms, pulling 8 degrees of timing, and making about 5 psi. We still did not spin @ all, so we could push it a lil harder.

We starter off @ 3500 with 5 degrees of timing, and it bogged. Went to 4,000 with 5 degrees, still bogged a lil. Went to 4,300 with 8 degrees, and pretty much no bog.

Chris
Old 11-03-2008 | 05:29 AM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

We should set it at 6k and more timing, I want to come out at redline and full boost

Sean
Old 11-12-2008 | 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome writeup. Im subscribing so i can re read it later. Thanks. Larry
Old 11-13-2008 | 09:51 AM
Teching In

Awesome Build guys. But could I ask why you would not take it to Speed INC for tuning ? Judging by that VID the car seems very under powered and I'm sure a mail order tune from Texas Speed is not the best choice IMO
Old 11-13-2008 | 04:54 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Joey, it was tuned (somewhat) by Jerry it isn’t just on the mail order tune. The mail order tune was just to get the car running with the 60# injectors. Chris bought HP Tuners Pro so that we can tune the car ourselves next year. It was for sure down on power we knew that all year and we were doing what we could to get it fixed. We didn’t get a lot of track time last year (I think we were only at the track 3 times), so it was hard to diagnose problems. We have fixed all of the things we think were causing us to have issues last year, also are changing to speed density for next year. Hopefully we get it to run what it should next year, because this year was frustrating. Its hard going to the track and running slower every time, especially after you think you fixed the issue from the time before.

Whatever happened with your car? I hope you decided to keep it after all the time and work you have into it.

Sean
Old 11-13-2008 | 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Boost12
Awesome Build guys. But could I ask why you would not take it to Speed INC for tuning ? Judging by that VID the car seems very under powered and I'm sure a mail order tune from Texas Speed is not the best choice IMO

More or less what Broke ef said. Jerry @ SP did the maf tune. @ the time he thought it would be best. @ first the car ran very good. Pulled awsome on the street, had good mph, first time at the track, but no tires.

2nd time @ track, mph fell a little, but way better et cause it was on a tire. 60 ft wasn't where we wanted so we added a 2 step.

3rd time with the 2 step, car was doing good in the 60 but fell on its face on the top end. I think it might of been part from oil in the intake, maybe going lean a little cause of gear change, maybe bad knock sensors?? lots of variables.

Speed inc was always an option to get tuned, but Chris and Jerry over @ Sp were very good to me with advice during the build, and with random parts i needed so i threw them the business.

The car will run better next yr, and most importantly i will be able to data log it with Hp tuners.

Chris
Old 11-13-2008 | 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

glad to see you are getting it ironed out. HPT or any tuning/logging software is a must IMHO. I can't drive my car around the block with out logging it and making adjustments

J
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:05 PM

my car was tuned by speed inc.... never log it or anything just put gas and blast it!

best tuners around with out a doubt
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
More or less what Broke ef said. Jerry @ SP did the maf tune. @ the time he thought it would be best. @ first the car ran very good. Pulled awsome on the street, had good mph, first time at the track, but no tires.

2nd time @ track, mph fell a little, but way better et cause it was on a tire. 60 ft wasn't where we wanted so we added a 2 step.

3rd time with the 2 step, car was doing good in the 60 but fell on its face on the top end. I think it might of been part from oil in the intake, maybe going lean a little cause of gear change, maybe bad knock sensors?? lots of variables.

Speed inc was always an option to get tuned, but Chris and Jerry over @ Sp were very good to me with advice during the build, and with random parts i needed so i threw them the business.

The car will run better next yr, and most importantly i will be able to data log it with Hp tuners.

Chris
i told you fruitcake to go SD from the begining.... you never listen to me :*(
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:13 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
my car was tuned by speed inc.... never log it or anything just put gas and blast it!

best tuners around with out a doubt
Nobody is disputing that, the car owner wanted to give it a shot himself. When the descion was being made to get HPTuners or have it tuned, Speed Inc. was number 1 on the list to tune the car. One thing to remember is that we are constantly changing the car, changes that require more tuning

Sean
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:14 PM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by reject
i told you fruitcake to go SD from the begining.... you never listen to me :*(
I told him to go SD the whole time too, then again I told him to spray the car

Sean
Old 11-13-2008 | 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

eeeew spray!!

when he told me he upped the boost on the MAF tune i knew he was going to be in trouble lol
Old 11-15-2008 | 09:34 AM
On The Tree

My car is dirty

Looks good Chris, I still need a ride someday. Got any other pics?

As far as tuning, your own tuner is great! I have one for the GTP. Its nice to change anything anytime you want. If speed INC leaves the pcm unlocked maybe have them tune the car, (Get a very good place to start from) then make edits with HP tuners anytime you need.
Old 11-15-2008 | 10:39 AM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Man if you think its dirty there, you should see it now

Sean
Old 04-18-2010 | 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

As you may or may not know I got the back from the chassis shop last week. It was gone for a LONG time, and while it was gone the work that was planned just piled up. Well now that it is back in our hands the work can once again begin! I decided to just start an actual build thread to keep it all organized, so this is the thread for updates this season. This Car would not get done without the help of my buddy Sean(Broke EF). He has as much time as i do if not more working on it.

Two years ago Sean and myself bult a truck manifold turbo kit. Turbo kit uses a Precision GT42-76, Tial 44 gate, and Tial 50mm Bov.

The car used a walbro 255 pump, 60lb injectors, a ls6 intake, and mafe tune(didn't work out so great) 460ish whp @ 6psi...

Current build is getting

Brand new Lq9 block(370)
Stock Crank
Callies Rods
Wiesco Piston
Arp Main studs
Arp Head Studs
Patroit Stage 3 317 heads, Patriot Gold springs
Fabd valve covers with -10 bungs for a catch can
Custom Spec'd Turbo Cam
Ls7 Lifters
Brand new Gm rockers, with comp cams Trunion Upgrade
ls6 Intake
Stock Ported TB
Speed Inc Fuel rails
Fuel Lab regulator
Fuel Lab filter
-8 feed
-6 return
2 Walbro 255 pumps in take, With racetronix hotwire

The same Truck Manifold Turbo kit is going back on.(for now)

Suspension is All midwest Chassis Everywhere.
Rear Lower control arms, and panhard bar
Fron Upper, and lower control arm, Spindle, Manual rack, K Member
Rear stock spring, with Comp Engingeering strut
Front Stage Drag coilover

Brakes
Midwest chassis Manual Master
Replume the entire Car with brake line, and Strange 4 piston drag brakes @ all 4 corners

Trans
Drc Th400 with transbrake
B&M ratchet Carbon Fiber shifter
Tci Trans cooler
PTC Specd Turbo Converter

Rear End
Midwest Chassis Fab 9
spool, 35 spline axles, ect

Motor should be in this week, and the rest of the parts i pretty much have. Just need time to get them all ont he car, and get everything else done at the same time. Weight of this car should come in right around 3000 lbs, without a driver.(I think) I am hopeing in 6-8 weeks to have the car running, and begin the tunning again. this time it will be a 2 bar SD tune.
Futur plans consit of Upgrade to a 99+ ecu, so i can run 3 bar SD, with bigger injectors, and Get a bigger turbo, and Redo the turbo kit!

We started this weekend by mostly pulling out some weight, and generally got the car ready to carpet. I don't really have any pictures of specific work on this, but basically sean chopped out un-needed brackets, pulled excess wiring, and anything not needed. I got to work pulling the crash bars from the doors, changing the rear brakes, swapping out the rear control arms, and panhard bar to Midwest Chassis pieces. On with the pics.

This is somewhat before work started

Front view (had already pulled the e-brake and center brackets in this pic) You can also see the stock wheel is gone, and the quick release installed.

From the other side

Here is a shot of the stock brakes

A couple of comparison shots between the stock rotor and the strange rotor

And the strange brakes done

Started on the shifter mount/filling the 6-speed shifter hole

Tacked in

didn't get it finished, but its closeish here

whipped up a panel to cover the access hole in the back, you can also see we installed the HVAC delete panel

Here is the pile of **** we pulled from the car

And here is the weight of the pile

Well thats all for this week, it doesn't look like much but it was a lot of tedious work done. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Sideways240sx; 04-18-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2010 | 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome job on the turbo build up. It helps alot to guys like me are thinking of doing something like this.

Do you have any pic's posted on here of the pipe coming from the turbo and how you tied it back in with the exhaust. Or did you just dump it under the car? Thanks Kris
Old 04-18-2010 | 06:48 PM
9 Second Club

You should be able to see a pic of just about everything here.

http://www.sidewayz.net/turbota/
Old 04-18-2010 | 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

bad *** build
Old 04-25-2010 | 11:43 AM
9 Second Club
15 Year Member

Nothing to exciting to update this weekend, but here it is anyway. We finished pulling all of the un-necessary parts, and lines. Did more work on the shifter mount, but ran out of gas for the welder before I finished. On to the pics!

Started out by turning the car around so we can get to the front easier.

Quick shot under the hood before work started

Having the right tools was key this weekend! This was removing the pedal assembly and the long extension made it a million times easier.

After pulling the brake master cylinder, and the booster. Also the clutch master cylinder is out too.

Up in the air to pull the fuel and brake lines

Here is the pile of **** that got yanked out this weekend and trashed. The top pile is stuff that is going to be modified and put back in.

No more wiper motor/arms. The stock plastic cowl cover is going to go back on.

This picture turned out bad, but this was after everything was pulled out.

Well that is all for this weekend, like I said not too exciting to look at. Now that the last of the tear down stuff is done we can start with the fun part, putting it all back together! Lots of parts came in this week, and the last of them will be here in the next couple of days. Next week should start the more exciting post where it actually looks like we got something done.

Thanks for looking!
Sean

Quick Reply: My build - Lots of pics