Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is there any reason NOT to go with an STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal0-0
I use a subframe on the passengerside and the STS pipe on the driverside but now I am getting a cage installed to tie everything together.
Ditto.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by sworaz
I bet Bob's getting tired of reposting that info every few weeks
Never!!! Bob
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
8. The silicone couplers that are provided with an STS front mount intercooler are thin, and we had two of them blow apart. The intercooler plumbing that was provided with the front mount intercooler option that we ordered for a customer's car was poorly routed, we ended up using our tubing from our front mount kits that we sell.
You mean like this bob?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Banned

I just wanted to THANK everyone for the feedback. I really wanted to go with the STS but because this is a DD i've decided to pick up a used P1SC kit. Friend's selling his for 2800 and IMO a better option for a DD.

Thanks again
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

until you start overheating in traffic when you turn on your ac.

do your homework on the cooling issues with the ATI kits and you will be fine.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Teching In

i did not read all the posts, so someone might have mentioned this. A problem with rear-mount turbo's I've heard about in the past, is when using them with cats, parts of the cats internals can end up coming apart, and getting lodged in the turbo. I have never heard of this happening with an F-body, but have heard of it happening with rear-mount turbo's on foreign cars (ferrari's, lambo's).

something to consider i guess.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default 3 bads from here

If you guys remember, It was either CAMARO MAG or GM HIGH TECH that did an artical on an STS install where they couldnt get it to run right or tune right and they speed density tuned it and it ran like a champ!!Remember the story guys?Amyways during a test run after the good tune they got caught in a bad rainstorm on the highway behind a semi!!LOL!!Anyways the car fall on its face once the filter behind the rear tire got wet Thats #1 secoundly !!With the APS you cant use sub frame conectors because of the piping. Third !!Dependind on an electric pump to keep the turbos scavanged kinda sucks when compared to a gravity drain like APSs tt kit. Thats some of the bad from what ive heard NOW!!!the good!! After the rain stopped they said they couldnt couldnt keep there foot out of it because it was so fun to drive! They said it was like riding on a rocket LOL!!And it roosted the tires with ease!LOL!!!I guess if your not planning on big boost and power ?you could live with out the subframes!Right ?Wrong?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tellin ya, get the OFI
Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sworaz
I bet Bob's getting tired of reposting that info every few weeks
EXACTLY! I looked into STS kits... really looked into them... and in the end said "no way, that's not for me".

OK, so they are for some other people... masochists mainly.

I personnally know of some that are making good power, but the F-body kit is such a PITA. One guy who is pretty happy with his has it on a GTO... which avoids a couple of the drawbacks (like not being able to run a subframe connector down one side)

I'll stick with my supercharged cars. If I go turbo, it'll be a front mount.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:11 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird
until you start overheating in traffic when you turn on your ac.

do your homework on the cooling issues with the ATI kits and you will be fine.
True dat! Add a small second fan (EPP has an example on their site) or upgrade the weak fan that Procharger supplies (or supplied, maybe they fixed it, dunno).

Also, don't screw around with the 6 rib kits. They will just **** you off when your belt slips @6K RPM and you lose to a car you should have smoked.

Get an 8 rib and upgrade the cooling fan and Procharger is the shiznit.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

Not Really Way Faster N Better Gas Miles
Old 03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Like I said before I made good power with the STS kit with my 408. But it was one headache after another and it got pricey.

So yourself a favor and buy a nice front mount or sc'r. FI isn't cheap no matter what route you go. So when you see something that is "cheap" you get what you pay for.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

and front mount kits dont give you headaches? i think with whatever power adder you go with, there is going to be some obstacles to overcome. Really, the only thing i see bad about the STS kits are

1. Dont drive it in the rain
2. electric oil pump
3. thats it

other things can be upgraded (t-bolt clamps, etc.), which needs to be done with almost every kit out there anyway...

it just funny that some of you guys say, "oh the STS kit will give you too many problems," when a front mount turbo or a procharger can give you just as many problems as well... so GTFO

bottom line is, if you drive your car in the rain a lot or can't stand the idea of an electric oil return pump, then the STS is not for you
Old 03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Con's: clearance on lowered car, water exposure

Pro's: heat management, weight distribution
(both of these were important to me for 20 minute road course sessions)

I put a shield on the filter (not the sock, but a shield). Modified it so it's not so tight around the filter so it shouldn't cut down on airflow.

Oil pump hasn't been a concern. I had an oil pump, power steering pump, fuel pump, and a water pump on the car already. One more oil pump didn't bother me. It has a buzzer to tell me if something is wrong.

Clearance is the one I haven't worked through all the way yet. Planning to come over the top of the k-member in the front, but haven't done it yet. (several bends and connectors needed) Reworked the back pipe to get some more clearance, and the aluminum tube rear lca's help, but would like to have even more clearance back there. Haven't come up with any great ideas that I want to do for that one yet. Thought about flattened/oval pipe to get a little more room. The rear pipe is about 3.5" off the ground. I'd like to drop the car an additional .5-.75 inches.

Never thought about putting sfc's on the car. Do have a 6-pt rollbar though.

Added an intercooler and pumped up the boost...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TWS
True dat! Add a small second fan (EPP has an example on their site) or upgrade the weak fan that Procharger supplies (or supplied, maybe they fixed it, dunno).

Also, don't screw around with the 6 rib kits. They will just **** you off when your belt slips @6K RPM and you lose to a car you should have smoked.

Get an 8 rib and upgrade the cooling fan and Procharger is the shiznit.

now hold on i thought the procharger was an install and forget kit??? what happend to its a complete kit? so you have to update to an 8 rib , mess with cooling fans, change the oil in the supercharger every 2,000 miles, damn sounds familiar to all the nonsense you all have been saying about the STS kit needing small adjustments applies to the procharger.

just venting but this is what i mean when i say all kits will need some upgrades to get them to work optimually.

anyone have a price on the 8 rib upgrade, fan upgrade and oil change price on the head unit??? just think all the info should come out about the price for the procharger.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
and front mount kits dont give you headaches? i think with whatever power adder you go with, there is going to be some obstacles to overcome. Really, the only thing i see bad about the STS kits are
1. Dont drive it in the rain
2. electric oil pump
3. piping isn't beaded so even with t-bolts they blow off. (I have video of runs where this happened)
4. ground clearence
5. couplers split (picture proof) And once I fixed that one, the one at the intercooler went.
6. Manuals don't make boost in 1st and most of 2nd gear
7. Turbo Lag (unless you of course use stock manifolds and wrap ****)
8. Cats blow apart and frag the turbo
9. Oil cap return line will weep oil under boost and spray the engine bay
10. ....

I've heard good things about the GTO kits and the Vette kits. But I'm sorry, the FBody kit is not worth the money with all the bullshit you have to chase down.
Mark98SS is running 10.00s with an ATI, Cam and a TH400. Sounds good to me.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Teching In

I also am intrested in a STS kit. I have been told that I will be spending 7 grand for complete kit and install with gauges injectors etc... It will only net me up to a 125-150 hp with 8 lbs of boost.I own a m6 2k camaro ss, my goal is 450 hp daily driver.
I am stuck on chosing on the turbo or a head and cam package instead. What are the maintenance cost for an sts.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

PhillyLS1..... it sounds like you got the base STS kit w/ intercooler or whatever and installed it, which is obviously why you had so many problems. Most of the negative things on your list should have been upgraded anyways or you were just asking for trouble in the first place...

btw... who keeps the twin ATI intercoolers anyway for a procharger?? hardly anyone, they usually upgrade to a FMIC....
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1

and one more thing.... Worm clamps????? how long did you expect those to hold up?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
PhillyLS1..... it sounds like you got the base STS kit w/ intercooler or whatever and installed it, which is obviously why you had so many problems. Most of the negative things on your list should have been upgraded anyways or you were just asking for trouble in the first place...

btw... who keeps the twin ATI intercoolers anyway for a procharger?? hardly anyone, they usually upgrade to a FMIC....
#1 The clamps had nothing to do with shitty couplers blowing apart. The clamps held, the coupler didn't.
#2 No I didn't have the base kit. I had "the best of the best" from STS, only thing I didn't get was Meth. I had a T76 on the thing and even that **** the bed.
#3 Don't ASSUME **** about my set-up.

Quick Reply: Is there any reason NOT to go with an STS kit?